Author Topic: Any Jacksons living in Cambridgeshire?  (Read 11573 times)

Offline tjack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any Jacksons living in Cambridgeshire?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 November 11 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello Selina,
In my enthusiasm I credited William & Mary with having too many children. I shall read things more carefully in future. Thanks for pointing out that John was Robert's father not his brother!!
In no time at all I've been able to get back from the 'sticking point' of my Great Great Grandfather Robert's Baptism & Parents to his grandparents WILLIAM & MARY! Still can't believe it. Thanks again.  Trevor.

Offline matron123

• RootsChat Member
  • My grandad Harry Reynolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 November 11 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I looked into this because my husbands line is Jackson and there are a lot of Roberts on his tree they came from Suffolk. Im sorry I cant help but I did notice that on the 1841 census Robert, Rebecca and their eldest daughter Elizabeth were not born in the county but say they do later. All this you probably know.
Sheila
JACKSON OF SUFFOLK, REYNOLDS OF CAMBRIDGE, PILCHER OF KENT, GOSTICK OF BEDFORDSHIRE AND LINCS, UNWIN OF ESSEX AND CAMBRIDGE, PRIME OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE, WARD OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE, WOLFE OF CAMBRIDGESHIRE

Offline tjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 November 11 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Sheila,
Good to have your input. With so many Jacksons around the country it's an impossible task to link them all together but I shall continue to create what links I can going back through my family line.
I'm curious now to obtain some more info from you. I didn't know about Robert, Rebecca and Elizabeth not being born in the County. Please tell me what you know on this from the 1841 census. What (preious) addresses for them do you have? Something has puzzled me for quite a time.
I found a record showing that Elizabeth was baptised in 'Norton Subcourse' I think it's in the region of Gt.Yarmouth. I have only thought of this family residing in the Outwell Area. I don't understand how, (if Robert's Parents - whom I believe to have been John and Mary Jackson from the Welney Area ), 'another county' fits into the story. I'm happy to be better informed. Regards   tjack  (Trevor)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 November 11 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor,

Just a quick reply to part of your last posting as I am not stopping.

Yes in the Cambridgeshire 1841 census the family are listed with 'N' in the Born in County column but I see no problem with this as Upwell, Outwell and Welney are on the borders of Cambs and Norfolk, prob overlap in some places and therefore they considered themselves born in Norfolk and not in the county of Cambridgeshire.

In 1851 Rebecca gives her birthplace as Outwell, Norfolk yet the children are listed as Outwell, Cambs.  Throughout Rebecca seems to consider herself as born in Norfolk.

Selina

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 November 11 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Trevor,

Don't know what record you have showing Elizabeth's baptism but on the Cambs. F.H. Society baptism database it shows Elizabeth Jackson baptised 1831 Outwell, daughter of Robert and Rebecca.

Its also on FreeReg where the full date of 2 December 1831 is given, St. Clement's Church, Outwell.  This is a nice site about the Church http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/outwell/outwell.htm

Selina

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 10 November 11 20:01 GMT (UK) »
If anyone has the baptism of Jarvis (Jervis) Jackson sometime in the first half of the 1700's in their family tree I should be grateful for the information.

I have his marriage to Alice Burnham at Whittlesey St. Mary in 1767, his death in 1782 and that of Alice in 1780 plus baptisms of their children but have been unable to find the baptism of Jarvis.

Selina

Offline tjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 November 11 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Selina,
Regarding your observations about Elizabeth's Baptismal records you will see how confused I am about a precise date by visiting the following two sites -

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14265-13287-93?cc=1823613&wc=9020292
and
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tinstaafl/Church_Pages/outwell2.htm#1830
It seems that Outwell (not Norton Subcourse) is the strong contender for location but 'dates' are conflicting.
Anyway, thanks again for your input. Enjoyed viewing the Norfolk Churches info you sent.
PS Are you familiar with a BBC website. Here's the link to something I posted a while back -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbhistory/NF2233810?thread=8288712
Apologies if 'you' were the one who put me on to this originally. Trevor

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 11 November 11 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor,

Yes I see the problem.  I see that the transcriber on the second link is the same one as FreeReg.

There are a couple of possibilities.  Either the present day transcriber has made an error or the difference in dates has occurred when the Bishop's Transcripts were copied from the parish register.  BT's often vary on some point or another to the original entries in the parish register.  However the 25th December one is in the correct order datewise on the BT.  I read on the transcribed link that the parish registers were in poor condition.

I think all you can do is to record both dates and make an explanatory note for yourself of why you have two!

I had a look at your BBC postings.  It's a site I haven't visited for quite a long time.
One point re that - I don't know what the word or abbreviation is on Robert Jackson's 1851 census entry but it certainly is not 'idiot'.  Appears to be something to do with place of birth (Upwell in Robert's case) as the same word also follows the entry for another lodger who was born in Outwell.

Selina

Offline tjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 07 December 11 20:58 GMT (UK) »
I'm making amazing progress on my family history so thanks to Selina and others I'm getting further and further back in time.  Here's the next challenge.
WILLIAM JACKSON married MARY SAY at Welney St.Marys on December 30th 1781. Can anyone reading this get me back to when he was Born/Baptised? Even more fantastic would be to secure the names of his parents!!
The Jackson Name is quite common but I would be soooooooooo grateful if you could get me some answers or pointers (info.sources) to get me right back to the early 1700s. Please.   tjack (Trevor)
PS I've been on some websites but seem to draw blanks every time.