Author Topic: Any Jacksons living in Cambridgeshire?  (Read 11572 times)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Any Jacksons living in Cambridgeshire?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Trevor,

Something I am puzzled over - in the Cambs Marriage index there are listed banns and marriage for a John Jackson 1805 St. Peter, Upwell.  As its just the index it does not give spouse's name.

I thought it would be interesting to see if that John married a Mary but although FreeReg has transcribed St. Peter's, Upwell (under Norfolk) marriages to 1812 the 1805 John Jackson one does not show up.

John and Mary Jackson do not appear to have baptised any other children at Welney apart from the 1809 Robert so was thinking that they may only have been there temporarily.

Hope you get some information from Wisbech Library.

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tjack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Selina,
Would you send me the 'link' for the Cambs Marriage Index please. I'd like to see that reference to John Jackson but without mention of a spouse.
Now, since you wrote to me I've been checking some 'notes' I made over recent months and I've found the missing link to John's wife Mary. If not for you I wouldn't have thought about the year 1805 however (take a look!) John married Mary on May 15th 1805 at Upwell St.Peter's Church. Bingo.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14264-55068-5?cc=1823613&wc=9020147
Would you like to give me an opinion on Mary's maiden name? I haven't exactly worked it out but if 'we' can, perhaps I can then go on to investigate further what no. of children were born to this marriage.
Upwell Church, it seems, has/had strong links with Welney Church back in time so I'm thinking that ROBERT, Baptised Welney 1809 may have been baptised at Welney because it was more convenient at that moment. Under the records I've looked at for Upwell Church there doesn't seem to be anything under the years 1809 - 1811 which is where I'd really like to visit.
I can report, however, that I have another 'link' which tells me that John & Mary had a son (John) in 1806. Baptised at Upwell. Take a look at it. Fourth item down on the list of Baptisms.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-12986-9653-41?cc=1824688&wc=6895469
So, John was their firstborn and Robert (we think) came next. It's like pieces of a jigsaw - all very exciting.
Any of you who are following the 'plot' with me are most welcome to contribute to this subject further. Any contributions on Mary's surname are most welcome. To widen the subject out further - though I don't know his DOB - I'd love to find a Birth/Baptism record for JOHN JACKSON. Early 1780's perhaps??  THANKS AGAIN SELINA for contributing. tjack

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor,

Sorry but the Cambs Marriage Index is not online so can't give you a link.

I have looked at the 1805 entry familysearch and have checked all the Mary's married at Upwell in 1805 on my index and the one that jumps out is Mary Haines.   She is listed as Haines for the Banns and Hains for the Marriage and to my mind that fits the register entry but it would be nice to have some other opinions on that.

Selina

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 November 11 11:30 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism in 1785 for a John Jackson at Welney, you can find this on FreeReg together with his siblings, etc.

However there are other candidates further afield at Whittlesey and one slightly more unlikely at Wisbech.

There is a burial 1818 at Upwell of a John Jackson aged 33, this would fit with the 1785 baptism above. 

So there are possibilities for you to think about, maybe you can find the burial on familysearch.  You might also like to check out the marriage of a Mary Jackson at Upwell in 1821 to see if she was a widow.

Regards,

Selina

Offline tjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 November 11 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Selina,
I am most grateful to you for more feedback. I've been 'looking into' the information you just sent to me. I managed to find an entry under 'family search' for John Jackson - Baptised Welney August 14th 1785 with parents given as William & Mary. On the same website I found the Marriage of William & Mary (nee Say) on December 30th 1781. Very exciting.
Would you please send me the precise 'link' to Freereg where you refer to siblings.
I've followed through on the Burial for John Jackson (aged 33) and came up with September 13th 1818 - Upwell St.Peter's Church. Also under Upwell I found the Marriage Record for Mary Jackson (Widow as you said) to a William Etherington on April 10th 1821.
Absolutely brilliant work Selina. Thanks. Trevor.

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 November 11 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor,

Strangely the URL doesn't change from the search page to the results page so its only possible to enter via the search page.

Go to http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/Search.pl
Make sure baptism button is on
Enter Jackson in Surname (no forename)
Highlight Cambridgeshire under County
Highlight Welney under Place and search

Numbers 1 to 7 and number 9 appears to be children of William and Mary. 

A couple of the children are in the burials.

For Welney, at present, baptisms go up to 1830, marriages 1786 and burial 1812 but there is a big gap in both marriages and burials.

Everything seems to fit pretty well so far - which is quite lucky with a name like Jackson, there are one or two of them about to say the least!

Hope you make some more progress.

Selina

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 November 11 23:10 GMT (UK) »
I am concerned that I can't see the death or burial of a Mary Etherington of a suitable age, so feel that the Mary Jackson widow who married William Etherington in 1821 is still just a 'possible'.

Selina

Offline tjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Any Jacksons living in Cambridgeshire?
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 November 11 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks once again Selina,
I had visited the  Freereg site some time back but clearly didn't know what date to 'input' so as to get the best feedback. You cracked it for me. What a big family William & Mary Jackson had there in Welney. Like you said, some children appear in the burials. Think I've got the hang of it now.
I thought that John Jackson (whose details we've been discussing) Baptised 14.08.1785 was the father of Robert - Baptised 20.07.1809.
The link you've given me on Freereg shows they were brothers!! Easy to make that mistake I suppose with such an age difference. Robert then, my Gt.Gt.Grandfather was the last to be born according to those records.
I'm 'looking into' umpteen records under 'Welney' which are available through familysearch so I may shed even more light on my family.
I will look around to see if I can find anything for death/burial of Mary Etherington or, as you imply, it could be a red herring.
Most grateful for all your input. Trevor. 

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 November 11 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Trevor - I have just looked at Jackson baptisms at Welney again - on FreeReg.

John Jackson baptised 14 August 1785 was son of William and Mary

Robert Jackson baptised 20 July 1809 was son of John and Mary

So not sure how you have seen them as being brothers.

Best wishes,

Selina