Author Topic: Kirkcudbrightshire Memorial Inscription lookup request  (Read 6627 times)

Offline Ranger11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirkcudbrightshire Memorial Inscription lookup request
« on: Monday 31 October 11 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello

If anyone has a copy of any of the volumes of the Kirkcudbrightshire MIs would they possibly do a lookup for the surname Templeton.

Thanks

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkcudbrightshire Memorial Inscription lookup request
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 11 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ranger  :)

If anyone has a copy of any of the volumes of the Kirkcudbrightshire MIs would they possibly do a lookup for the surname Templeton.

There are masses of them - could you narrow your request down by parish and, if possible, first names and dates, please.

You could maybe have a quick look through some of the parishes that are online here:

http://www.kirkyards.co.uk/allgraves.asp

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've just checked through the indexes of all the parishes in Kirkcudbrightshire.  There are Templetons listed in the following parishes ~

Carsphairn
Kirkcudbright
Kirkmabreck
Twynholm and Kirkchrist
Minigaff
Terregles
Troqueer.

Listing them all here would be very time consuming (each MI has to be looked up in the individual parish index and then typed out)   and would probably  breaching copyright as there are far more than an 'odd look up'. 

I think that you really must be more specific with parishes and dates.

gnu

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 November 11 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ranger,
I note your interest in Templeton.  I helped a Wigtownshire Rootschat Forum member with that name earlier in the year.  I'm one of the small group of DGFHS member volunteers in Dumfries.  One of my duties is to manage the DGFHS database of MIs.  We offer unlimited database searches as a service to members and we will do a small number of different name searches as a courtesy to non-members.
Since you are interested in TEMPLETONs I can tell you our database has MI details from 70 gravestones with that TEMPLETON name on them.  Unfortunately they are mostly in Wigtownshire and NOT Kirkcudbrightshire.  There is a reason why our MIs database is sparsely populated with KKD data, but I will not go into that here and now.
If you are interested in having a copy the 70 MIs you would need to contact me by PM with an email address that accepts attachments. I would send a file in RTF readable by any wordprocessor.
Cheers,
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Corriebell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 March 12 23:55 GMT (UK) »
I hit my brick wall with a John Martindale born in Kirkcudbright in 1828. I found him on the 1841 census aged 12 living with an Anderson family. I am very curious about who his parents were. There is no available birth record, and nothing on his brief marriage notice, I spoke to Scotland's people who say the death certificate is unlikely to have the names of parents, so I am wondering whether there may be somewhere in Kirkcudbright an MI for his parents?I wonder whether the person with access to the Mi list would be able to check this for me. The good thing is the name is rare in Kirkcudbright,so that should make a search easier. Thanks to anyone who might be able to help. Corriebell

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 10:16 GMT (UK) »
... the name is rare in Kirkcudbright ...
The name is also very rare in the rest of Dumfries and Galloway !
The DGFHS MIs database of 100 thousand burial records, mostly pre-1855, covers 8 thousand different family names and there isn't a single Martindale listed.  Reference to the 1901 census (also a DGFHS index)  list none in Wigtownshire or Kirkcudbrightshire and only 18 in Dumfriesshire.
Of the 18 Martindale names listed, all but one are post 1855 births located fairly close to the English border. This suggests to me that the name Martindale is English rather than Scottish.
Sy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie

Offline Corriebell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Johner for your swift reply and the informaton you have given.
My Martindale family spent their lives in Hutton-Corrie Dumfriesshire, except for a few strays in the Manchester direction and an early period of ten years in Derbyshire.
 Yes you are right--the name appears to originate in the place name Martindale in The English Lakedistrict. That is why I'm wondering how John came to be born in Kirkudbright as all the evidence states. Did the parents have a quick trip over to Scotland for the birth, and then disappear back to wherever they came from, leaving him behind-perhaps they wanted a Scottish lass!
There are so many Martindales not only in Westmorland but scattered around the world I think I will now hang up my detective hat --I just had to have a last try on Rootschat, and I appreciate your response.
 Sincerely, Corriebell

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Had a further look for Martdindale family name in the MIs of Kirkcudbrightshire.
Located only two occurrences to Martindale as a middle name both for the same person in two different graveyards.
Janet Martindale COWPER wife of William BROWN.

The MI details are as follows.
1. Graveyard:  TYNHOLM 
John COWPER died Woodhead  22-4-1846 age 37
his wife  Margaret JOHNSTONE died Ringford  21-11-1888 age 84
children Jane, Magaret & John died in infancy.
William BROWN died Ringford  5-3-1884 age 68
his wife  Janet Martindale COWPER died Creamery Cottage  26-1-1913 age 85
James COWPER died Ringford  4-1-1936  age 80

2. Graveyard:  SENWICK
John BROWN senior died Littleton  17-1-1835 age 67
his wife  Jane Martin
daughter Agnes died Irelandton  13-3-1822 age 24
son James died Horsham Sussex  20-6-1822 age 20
son John died Irelandton 18-7-1831 age 27
son Alex died Holmfirth Yorks  10-2-1843 age 42
son William died Ringford died  5-3-1844 age 68
his wife  Janet Martindale COWPER died Creamery Cottage  26-1-1913 age 85

Sy

Offline Corriebell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 March 12 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your interest. I did find this Janet Martindale Cowper and at the time thought I was going to be able to break through by finding her parents or even Grandparents, but nothing fits! My Gt Gt Grandfather John, who is the one whose parents I am after, lived with this Anderson family in 1841 and on his MI is named John Anderson Martindale. He also named his last son Allan Anderson M.
 This Janet M Cowper named one of her sons with an Anderson middle name too,but I still can't find any real connection, although I believe she may be John's sister John was born 1828 and Janet c1829.
 Corriebell