Author Topic: Jones/Roberts Family - Llangollen  (Read 13379 times)

Offline HGauthier

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones/Roberts Family - Llangollen
« on: Tuesday 01 November 11 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone... !  I'm at such a loss with my Welsh family... it amazes me how many Jones and Roberts families there are!  :)

I'm going to just start... My Great Great Grandmother was Winifred Jones b: Nov 7, 1871 in Llangollen (Registered in Derbyshire district Corwen on Dec 11/1871) - d: Dec 9, 1954 in Canada. She married my Great Great Grandfather Charles James Chandler in about 1895 in Wales or England.  Charles Chandler was  b: Dec 1873 in Wales d: Dec 17, 1958 in Canada.  Although I'm struggling with the Chandler side of the family, I will save for another post.. back to Winifred Jones... She was born to John James Jones and Gwen Roberts.  John James Jones was a Road Labourer in Wales in Llangollen.  His first wife (I believe) was Gwen Roberts, and from all of the stories told to me, Winifred was their only child.  I'm not sure if Gwen died during childbirth, or when Winifred was still young, but John James Jones went on to remarry.  I only know this because my the story goes that my Great Great Grandmother Winifred never spoke of her home life.  Her step mother was wicked to her.  I know that Gwen Roberts is her biological mother as I have a copy of the birth certificate.  I can find nothing else on John James Jones or Gwen Roberts... not a birth date, a death date, or anything.  It's hard to move forward without this information.  I do know that Winifred was close to one of her step sisters who I believe was called Annie Florence..(aka Flo).  She married a Dick Richards I believe and moved to Canada herself.  If anyone has any information, or any websites or other words of wisdom to share with me it would be much appreciated.  The only other thing I know is that Winifred was a Nurse at Bedlam Institution in England for awhile, and I believe married my Great Great Grandfather Charlie there.  I also know that Charlie fought in the Boer War, and have found records for him.  My Great Grandmother Marie Winifred is their daughter and only child (they may have lost one at childbirth).  Looking forward to hearing from someone!

Thanks!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jones/Roberts Family - Llangollen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi and Welcome to rootschat  :)

and welcome to the Jones/Roberts brigade - I have lots in my lines and also from  similar areas.

Llangollen is in Denbighshire (I went to school there):

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Llangollen/index.html

You've given quite a bit of information so I'll have a read through and see if I can help but  I thought I'd come and welcome you first  :)

Regards

gnu

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline HGauthier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome! :)  I'd appreciate any assistance...

The Jones--Roberts thing eh? Glad to hear I'm not the only one! :)

Offline HGauthier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Oh..and thanks for the link... I finally figured out the name on the Birth Certificate of Eirianallt!  I've been trying to figure that out..but couldn't read the writing on it... yay!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 20:07 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Just trying to work through Winifred's life.

Is this her in Liverpool in 1901:

23 Gorst Street, Everton
RG13/3479/76/25

Winifred Chandler, hd, mar, 29, b. Llangollen
Jessie W, d, 7, b. Liverpool

gnu
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 20:09 GMT (UK) »
The only one that is popping up in 1881 is this family but it doesn't quite fit, so not sure:

Llangollen Fechan, Llangollen
RG11/5540/130/17

John Jones, 47, labourer, Llawr Bettws, Merionethshire
Elizabeth, 46
Griffith Edwards, son, 21, printer compositor (unemployed)
Thomas Jones, s, 12
Winifed,d, 10
Margaret, d, 8
Elleanor, d, 6
John Williams, lodger, 25, waggon cartmaker, b. Trawsfynydd, Merionethshire

all others b. Llangollen

gnu

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 20:22 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 Canadian Census doesn't quite fit the 1901 one - is this them :

Queen Street, Springhill, Cumberland, Nova Scotia

Charles Chandler, 37, miner b. England
Winifred, 37, b. Wales
Marie W, 11, b. England
Harry Walkins, brder, 29, miner, b.  -do-
Neil White, brder,  30, -do-, -do-

I'm still trying to get a feel for the family  :-\

gnu

Offline HGauthier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Wow..

Ok to answer your first post.  I'm not sure what some of the information means.  It could be my Winifred as she worked at Bedlam Hospital as a nurse and would have resided around there.  I'm not sure of the reference to Jessie or what hd Mar 29 means.. but it could be. 

About your second post.. I've run into that family too and I'm not discounting it.  The problem seems to be that Winifred never spoke of her family in Wales because they treated her so poorly.  It is assumed that she was the only child of John and Gwen, but there may have been others Elizabeth could have been her step-mother, but I know she had one sister whom she was close to called Annie Florence or Flo.. who is not appearing on this census.  So..that information may be a shot in the dark...

Your third post is correct.  That is them..Charles and Winifred, soon after they immigrated, and Marie W (Winifred) is my Great Grandmother -- No idea who Harry Walkins or Neil White were, but this IS my family here....

This is awesome! Thanks!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 20:58 GMT (UK) »
The 1881 family does look like them as I think that this is them in 1871:

Bache, Llangollen
RG10/5683/63/44

John Jones, 36,  labourer, b. Llanfor, Merionethshire
Gwen, 35, b. Llangwm, Denbs
Ann Jane, 4, b. Llangollen
Thomas, 1, b. -do-

I have ancestors from Llanfor - it's near Bala,

gnu

what hd Mar 29 means.
  head of household, married aged 29.