Author Topic: Notts. hearthtax, Storrs  (Read 7551 times)

Offline marchwind03

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Notts. hearthtax, Storrs
« on: Saturday 14 January 12 23:00 GMT (UK) »
My ancestors lived in two tiny villages of Sutton Cum Lound in Notts. a few miles from Retford.  The family name is Storrs, but I've seen it as Storris, Storres, Stores, & Storrys.  I'm looking for my ancestor, Thomas Storrs, and his eldest son, Cordall Storrs.  I'm interested in any Storrs at all who is listed on any hearth tax.  They lived in these villages from the early 1500's at least into the early 1700's.

I'll be so grateful for any help on this!

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Notts. hearthtax, Storrs
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 January 12 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi marchwind03 - Welcome to RootsChat! :)

I have checked the hearth tax transcripts for all Stor* entries and included the ones I think may be relevant. There are a large number of people called Story which I have omitted for the time being. I think a couple of the following may be of interest to you.

Just in case you do not know, the hearth tax was levied in Notts in 1664 and 1674. The standard charge for one hearth in 1664 was 2 shillings, as shown by the entries below. I left the entries exactly as they appear divided by place for each year:

FARNTON             hearths      charged
Edward Storre             i         (not chargeable)

SCAFTWORTH
Peter Storesse            i            ij s

SUTTON cum Lound
Thomas Storrs             i            ij s

WORKSOP
Thomas Storrs             i            ij s

BOUGHTON
William Storre            1

FARNDON
Widow Storr              1           (discharged by Certificate)

HEADON & UPTON
Robert Stores           1

LOUND
Mr. Storr                   3

Hope this helps. Let me know if there are any other names or variants you might want me to check.

Alexander

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 January 12 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Out of interest I checked the Protestation Returns from 1641/2 to compare, and there were a large group of Storrs at Sutton cum Lound at that time. These are all the Storrs who made the oath of allegiance:

SUTTON-CUM-LOUND
Alexander Storrs, A yeoman family here
T. Storrs
Thomas Storrs
John Stors (sic)
Robert Stors
William Stors

CLAYWORTH
Robert Storrs

DUNHAM
Richard Storre

EAST RETFORD
John Storrs
John Storrs, Churchwarden

FARNDON
George Stoore
Richard Stoore

HALAM
Thomas Storr

NOTTINGHAM TOWN
Richard Storr

Offline marchwind03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 January 12 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Alexander, I can't express my delight and gratitude enough!  I'm sure you know how very much these details mean, and I'm amazed at how quickly you got back to me and that you even gave me further information!  I'm so excited I can hardly think.  I immediately had proof of several of the things I had always believed. 

Thank you so much!

Bonnie

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 January 12 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Glad to help. I took a quick look at the Sutton cum Lound parish register transcripts, and there are an enormous number of Storrs to sort out - rather you than me! ;D

Alexander

Offline marchwind03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 12 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Alexander!  Fortunately, I have wills back to the 1500's and they actually name their wives, friends, siblings, relatives and children, so I already have a little bit of a leg up on that part.  Still, it is a little daunting because I'd love to make a chart of every Storrs family in Sutton and Lound and their relationships.  Where can I get access to those parish registers!  On the information you sent me yesterday, I saw several names I'd never heard before and I'm so curious.

I don't want to take advantage, and if it's too much please say so.  But you asked if there were any other names I might want looked up.  Oh yes.  I'll list them, but you stop me if I'm asking too much.  There are interrelated families in Sutton Cum Lound I'm interested in.  Hammond (Hamond, Hawmonde), Rayne, Stirrop, Radshawe (Redshawe) and Crumwell (Cromwell). 

There is a beautiful old Tudor mansion in the village just in front of St. Bartholomew's, and I've always been curious about that house.  (I got to visit the village long ago for two wonderful and frustratingly short hours).  I'd think it would have the most chimneys in the whole place.  So if you happen to notice a family with more hearths than most, I'd love to know their names.  There is an "H" set into the the brick wall that surrounds the entire property, so that could be a clue.

Alexander, I have an insatiable curiosity about my ancestors and my ancestral villages.  But don't let me get too greedy.   ;)   And if I can be of assistance to you or anyone else, I'd be very happy to help.  I'm rather good at transcribing old wills and archaic language, as well as English inheritance laws.

Thanks again, so much!

Bonnie

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 January 12 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bonnie,

It's no problem at all - I checked through the villages of Sutton and Lound for the names you mentioned, but could only see a couple of Hammonds and not most of the other names you mention. As for the person with the most hearths in 1664, Francis Stringer, Esq. had 9 hearths, followed by John Peart who had 5. Ten years later Mr. Stringer still had 9 hearths, but William Pert (I suspect perhaps the son of John Peart) had 7 hearths.

SUTTON cum LOUND
William Hamond      i   ij s
George Hamond       i   ij s

SUTTON super LOUND
William Hamond      1
Mr. John Cramwell   1

LOUND
George Hamond       3

I will PM (Personal Message) you regarding the Sutton parish registers.

Alexander

Offline marchwind03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 January 12 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Alexander!  I'll solve some of the mysteries one of these days.  :)  Thanks to you, I see that my family probably did marry outside their villages, which tells me something I really needed to know!

You're the best!

Bonnie

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 January 12 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Bonnie, on Alexanders recomendation I purchased the NFHS CD. It covers Baptisms, marriage and burial. I have had the Cd a week and it is fantastic. I fully recomend it. Yes it is expensive, but I think well worth it.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley