Author Topic: Jonas Read  (Read 6050 times)

Offline Bobmc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jonas Read
« on: Monday 02 January 12 01:10 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the marriage records of Jonas Read and Elizabeth walker, married in St Giles Church Cambridge 26th November 1826 by Banns. As we have it down here in Australia is, that Elizabeth Walker was married before 1826 and that she was married to a Church of England Minister and that her maiden name was Beechey.
 If someone could help it would clear up a big question mark.
Jonas Read and Elizabeth Read are my 3 times Great Grandparents, as we have it, Sir William Beechey had 5 children by his first marriage and then married Ann Phyllis Jessop and had 18 children in that marriage. The way we are seeing this here in Australia is, that, because Elizabeth married Jonas, she married below her " Station", she may have been outcast from the rest of the Beechey family and no longer mentioned by them.
 Hoping someone may throw a bit of light on this and point us in the direction to where there is written proof like who Elizabeth put on the Marriage records as to who her Father is.
                                                                                      Bobmc.

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jonas Read
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 January 12 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bobmc,

Welcome to RootsChat.

I am afraid neither the banns or marriage records contain the information you require.  Prior to 1837 fathers are not normally shown in parish registers and it is not stated whether or not Elizabeth was a spinster or widow.

The transcript gives the marriage as having taking place on 21 November 1826.  Both were of the parish and Jonas made his mark.
Witnesses were Phebe Cresswell, John Foreman (or Freeman), James Mowlam.

Do you have an idea of the year Elizabeth was born?

Selina

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 January 12 13:15 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how much information you have re this couple after their marriage, census etc., so I will just add the following.

If they are the Josiah and Elizabeth listed in 1841 and the Jonah and Elizabeth listed in 1851 and 1861 then they had two children after civil registration began - Christiana in 1839 and Frederick in 1841 (he does not appear in FreeBMD but there is a Male Read which might apply).

If you purchase the birth certificate of Christiana (providing this is the right couple) it would give the maiden name of the mother and probably any other former names.

It appears that the Jonas/Josiah/Jonah above had been previously married to Martha who died in 1826. 

You can search for Cambs baptisms and burials 1801-1837 on http://www.cfhs.org.uk/parish_records.html

Selina

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 12 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Sir William Beechey is listed on the Internet, and if you just type into Google Sir William Beechey children it lists the 5 children you mention + 16 more in his second marriage, however non of them are called Elizabeth, so it looks as if you can discount the story that has been passed down through the family.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline Bobmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 01:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Selina.
    Yes you are right, but the date we have here is that Jonas Read Married Elizabeth Walker on the 26th day of November 1826. Elizabeth was the same age as Jonas, Jonas was baptised on 30th September 1798, Yes, Jonas did make his mark but Elizabeth signed her name,  which to us means that she was educated,  Jonas was married to Martha Black 11/05/ 1818 and she died in 1826 they had 3 sons by that marriage, Jonas 1819, Robert 1821, and Matthew 1823. Matthew died in 1826 the same year as his Mother Martha Read/ Black. He and Martha were married at St Mary's Church Middleton, Norfolk on 11/05/1818. Later on Jonas and Elizabeth had the Naggs Head Hotel in Cambridge. The children they had by their union was, Amelia 1/10 1828, Harriet 1829, William, my Great Great Granfather 11/01/1832. Emma 22/12/1833. George 25/07/1835.
Alfred, as to which we got the infromation about Elizabeth in Letters to William, b 12/02/1837. Christiana 8/02/1839 Baptised Pound Hill, and Frederick 2/05/1841 Mount Pleasant. Now William met with a horrible death here in Australia in the Northern Territory December 1870  his death was the first recorded death in the Northern Territory Taken by a Salt water crocodile.
Selina, if you would like any further info please do ask. Bobmc. all the best for the New Year To All,

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bobmc,
What everyone is trying to politely tell you is that without Christianas Birth Cert it is impossible for you to prove any of this.

There is no Baptism for a Elizabeth Beechley.
No record of her supposed Marriage to a Walker that anyone can find.

Interestingly someone has on their Tree that Christiana Read was baptised at St Annes, Wandsworth, 08 February 1839.

Hopefully someone has access to St Annes Records. If not you really need her Birth Cert.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Trish - The baptism of Christiana Read daughter of Jonah and Elizabeth (Pound Hill carpenter) took place on 8 February 1839 at St. Giles, Cambridge no details of mother's maiden name.

Bobmc - you have lots of interesting information on your family, William's death was horrific!

Buying Christiana's birth certificate is the only way to go as Trish says.

Selina

Offline Bobmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish and Selina.
 I am very thankfull for you help on this family mystery about Elizabeth Read/ Walker, yes, I agree, with you both that maybe, that will be the way to go by getting Christiana's birth certificate, this is becomming a real ENIGMA, I did have some luck finding my Great Grandmother here in Australia Williams Daughter, Jonas's Grand daughter, it was her Uncle Alfred that through letters to his brother William here in Australia that all this about Elizabeth was revealed, also Jonas.s brother in law was married to Charlotte and was Lord Grantley. Without the Internet, I can see why a lot of our family has failed to get anywhere with all this, I think with time we may get some results. to all that has replied to this, a Big Thankyou, Have a great New Year. Bobmc.

Offline Bobmc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish and Selina.
 I am very thankfull for you help on this family mystery about Elizabeth Read/ Walker, yes, I agree, with you both that maybe, that will be the way to go by getting Christiana's birth certificate, this is becomming a real ENIGMA, I did have some luck finding my Great Grandmother here in Australia Williams Daughter, Jonas's Grand daughter, it was her Uncle Alfred that through letters to his brother William here in Australia that all this about Elizabeth was revealed, also Jonas.s brother in law was married to Charlotte and was Lord Grantley. Without the Internet, I can see why a lot of our family has failed to get anywhere with all this, I think with time we may get some results. to all that has replied to this, a Big Thankyou, Have a great New Year, I think there  is a bit of confusion over the name  Jonas, as we have both names down here, Jonas/ Jonah andf you have both names up there too. Bobmc.