Author Topic: Buckinghamshire Lookups Anderson/Andrews Families  (Read 5476 times)

Offline Lovi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Buckinghamshire Lookups Anderson/Andrews Families
« on: Sunday 05 February 12 05:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a number of conflictions with family trees of other researchers of the parents of my great grandfather (a man of many names), who was either known as Jesse/Jasper ANDREWS/ANDERSON of any combination.  I am trying to establish his parents.

He is known to me as Jesse ANDREWS and born cc1833/34 at Kingsey, Buckinghamshire; he married Elizabeth Brown (B: 1832, Bledlow) in 1856.  Their children were:
Sarah Anderson 1857
William Anderson 1859
James Anderson 1861
Annie Andrews 1864 (my grandmother, married George Parker in 1888, Hull)
Elizabeth Matilda Andrews 1868
Anna Susan Andrews 1870 (D: 1871)
(Note the surname changes.  Researched from FREE BMD.)

I established my great grandfather on the:
1841 Census as Jasper Anderson (Parents William (42) and Mary (36))
1851 Census as Jasper Andrews
1856 Free BMD marriage as Jesse Anderson to Mary Brown (1832)
1861 Census as Jesse Anderson
1871 Census as Jasper Anderson w/- children of Anderson and Andrews
1881 Census as Jesse Andrews

It appears that Jesse Andrews died (Oct/Nov/Dec) 1891 (Free BMD) at the age of 58 at Glandford Briggs, Lincolnshire.

I have no record of the 1891 Census.  Can I ask for a lookup of the 1891 Census for Jesse and the remaining Anderson/Andrews family?

I assume by the 1841 Census that Jesse/Jasper Andrews/Anderson (7 years) parents are William & Mary (Blewer) Anderson. William (B: cc1798/99 at West Wycombe or Upper Winchendon) and Mary (cc1805 at Long Crendon).

Other contacts of family branches confirm my assumptions, because of a cross reference with Anne Anderson 1831, who married William Seymour; and I believe that Anne is my great grandfather’s sister.

I believe that William died in 1865, as I found Mary on the 1871 Census (widow) with daughter Hester (Esther).

Are their any parish records that can be looked up for the birth of my great grandfather Jesse/Jasper Andrews/Anderson at Kingsey, Buckinghamshire, and listing his parents?

Sorry for a long story, but I have hit a brick wall.

Thanks and regards

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Buckinghamshire Lookups Anderson/Andrews Families
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 February 12 08:20 GMT (UK) »
1891 census he is Jesse Andrews:
Reference RG12, Piece 2629, Folio 101, Page 11
Row Side, Ulceby, Lincolnshire

Andrews, Jesse  Head  M  57  Platelayer  b Kingsey, Bucks
Andrews, Eliza  Wife  F  53  b Berkhampstead, Hertfordshire

The 1841 census didn't show any relationship, so whilst it may be implied that Jasper's parents were William & Mary, that isn't conclusive!

Finally, if by "family trees of other researchers" you mean tress on Ancestry, please don't trust anyone else's tree, unless they show documentary proof!
People blindly copy information from tree to tree without checking, and a lot of it is complete rubbish!! ;D

If you look at the original page from the 1871 census, living next door to Jasper & family is:

Anderson, Mary  Head  Widow  F  66  Lacemaker  b Long Crendon
Anderson, Hester  Daughter    F  28  Lacemaker  b Kingsley
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Lovi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 12 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi KG,

Thanks for that, interesting to note my great grandfather remarried to Eliza WIDBEN in 1888, Lincolnshire.

The 1841 Census is accurate enough, because his other siblings Ann 9 years, and Joseph 3 years, were listed on HO107/38/20/8 Pg6.

Yep, that is so, mainly from Genes Reunited and searching the Google Search engine.  Well, I realise that much of it is rubbish, because of that is reason that I have reach what I have, and I believe much of the information I posted here on RootChat is reasonably accurate.

As I don’t have access to most original pages of British Census, but I have been able to pick up some from other sources in early days when they were FREE, but now those sources are charging.

I didn’t realise that Jasper/Jesse Anderson/Andrews was living next door to his mum in 1871, and I thank you for that, and have noted it on the records.

I did notice while perusing the jumble of paperwork that I have on the Andrews family that on the 1861 British Census that there is a James Wall, grandson 2 years, born Haddenham.  I just can’t see which of the female siblings, a male Wall may have married, as I checked the Free BMD (Marriages) and no hits.  Possibly he could be an illegitimate son of Esther; any views on that?

But, I am still trying to confirm if there is a Parish Register entry for Jesse/Jasper Andrew/Anderson cc1834, and confirmation of his parents.  Are you able to help there?

Thanks again and regards from Australia

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 12 12:51 GMT (UK) »
I did notice while perusing the jumble of paperwork that I have on the Andrews family that on the 1861 British Census that there is a James Wall, grandson 2 years, born Haddenham.  I just can’t see which of the female siblings, a male Wall may have married, as I checked the Free BMD (Marriages) and no hits.  Possibly he could be an illegitimate son of Esther; any views on that?

You did, of course, mean the England & Wales Census? ;D

I'm not finding this James Wall in 1861 - who was he with?

In 1881, there is a James Wall, age 22, born Haddenham, parents George & Eliza Wall.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 February 12 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lovi.

All I can confirm is a marriage in 1819 Kingsey.

William(x)Andrews (o.t.p) to Ann(x)Woodbridge(o.t.p) -  7th October. 1819.  Witnesses are Wm. Woodbridge & Sarah Shepherd.

No baptisms in your time frame. >:(      Baptisms only go to 1812, and I think they transferred to Oxfordshire.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Lovi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 February 12 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that KG, but in my jumble I have a copy of 1861 British Census:

Kingsey
William Anderson Head M 63 Ag Lab Upper Winchendon
Mary do Wife 52 Lacemaker Long Crendon
Esther do Dau U 18 do Kingsey
James Wall Grandson 2 Haddenham *~
Rg9/886/60Pg25

And it appears that the 1881 confirms the information of the 1861 Census.  I wasn’t able to pick up a marriage of George & Eliza Wall from the Free BMD.  My great grandfather’s younger sister, Elizabeth born 1844 could have married George Wall as I found a corrupted GRO Free BMD marriage of a George Wall at Wycombe 1857.  This could be the man?

I checked the 1881 Census on the LDS site, and I noticed that the Eliza was born 1839, London St Lukes, London, Middlesex, England.  My Elizabeth (Eliza) Anderson was born 1844 at Shenley, Buckinghamshire, England.  I couldn’t find her on the 1881 Census, so could indicate that she may had died.  Can you pick Elizabeth Anderson cc1844 on the 1871 Census anywhere?

It could appear that James Wall could have been the illegitimate child of Esther Anderson as per 1861 Census, or he may have married Elizabeth Anderson (that could be the corrupted Free BMD GRO for March 1857) and Elizabeth may have passed away and George Wall then remarried at a later date.

I found two Deaths Dec 1865 and Dec 1872 of a Elizabeth Anderson at Wycombe, and the 1872 could possibly be as the birth date is 1842 and is near to her birth of 1844.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks and best regards

Offline Lovi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 February 12 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lovi.

All I can confirm is a marriage in 1819 Kingsey.

William(x)Andrews (o.t.p) to Ann(x)Woodbridge(o.t.p) -  7th October. 1819.  Witnesses are Wm. Woodbridge & Sarah Shepherd.

No baptisms in your time frame. >:(      Baptisms only go to 1812, and I think they transferred to Oxfordshire.

Steve. :)

Thanks for that Steve.

I have basically established that my great grandfather’s parents are William Anderson (born cc1795/99 West Wycombe) and married Mary Blewer (born 1805, Long Crendon) of Buckinghamshire.

Great grandfather, Jesse/Jasper Andrews/Anderson was born cc1832/1834 at Kingsey, but could be recorded in the Oxfordshire register.  Is Kingsey in the Thames area, ad I notice that some of his children were recorded under Thames.

Can you help further?

Best Regards
George

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 February 12 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that KG, but in my jumble I have a copy of 1861 British Census:

My great grandfather’s younger sister, Elizabeth born 1844 could have married George Wall as I found a corrupted GRO Free BMD marriage of a George Wall at Wycombe 1857.  This could be the man?

FindMyPast (which I use for censuses) has transcribed young Robert as 8 years old! That's why I couldn't find him! ;D

That marriage from 1857 is for a George Whale! Volume 3a, page 415.

There is, however, this marriage:

June qtr 1853
Thame district (Kingsey comes under the Thame district!)    vol 3a, page 619

Wall, George
Andrews, Ann

This might be a complete red herring, but . . . . . !!! ;D

Offline Lovi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 February 12 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks KG,

But, I’m not sure what you meant by your following comment in regards to “Robert”:

“FindMyPast (which I use for censuses) has transcribed young Robert as 8 years old! That's why I couldn't find him!”

What is the cost for using FindMyPast?  I've found many geanology sites expensive for the little searching that I need to do.

Were you able to pick up Elizabeth Anderson cc1844 on the 1871 Census?

This is what I found on Free BMD:

Marriages Jun 1853   (>99%) 
Andrews    Ann        Thame    3a   619      
Wall    George         Thame    3a   619   

I did find this one, and looked at the actual GRO, and spent more time trying to decipher the page number than the actual name, which appeared to be WALL, which in this case was WHALE.

Marriages Mar 1857   (>99%) 
Wall    George __o__t        Wycombe    3a   41_

Thanks again mate.

Regards