Author Topic: William Pudney born Maldon c 1826  (Read 5482 times)

Offline sheepbritt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William Pudney born Maldon c 1826
« on: Sunday 19 February 12 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have just found out that one of  my 3x great grandfathers was William Pudney, a shoe maker born in  Maldon in Essex according to the 1881 census.  He was living at 34 Roscoe Street West Ham. In 1871 and 1861 he's also in the East End (West Ham and Plaistow).  His wife is given as Emma, born in Maldon.  I'm certain he's  my ancestor as the Wiltshire family at the same address are mine!

I sent for a marriage certificate of a William Pudney and Emma Bickmore (Maldon, 1851) which gives William's father as James PUDNEY, a mariner.   I can't find James on any census although I suppose he may have died or been at sea? 

In 1851 there's a William PUDNEY listed at "High Street, Maldon" a lodger with lots of other lodgers in what I assume is a pub.  This William is the right age and a shoemaker , but is born in Latchingdon which I realise isn't far from Maldon. 

I'd welcome any advice - is this likely to be my William, can anyone find him in 1841,  and can anyone help with James PUDNEY, mariner?

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Pudney born Maldon c 1826
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 February 12 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi I believe that possibly William was in the Maldon Union Workhouse in 1841, along with these Pudney children (Possibly 2 families involved)?

Daniel 15
Thirza 4
WILLIAM 15
Maria 10
George 12
Jane 5
Louisa 15
Eliza 10
John 5
Residing at Maldon Union Workhouse
Census Ref HO107/345/50/6

William's wife Emma in Dec 1851 shown as BICKMORE, believe family on 1851 and 1841 use BIGMORE!

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 February 12 18:15 GMT (UK) »
From  Maldon St. Mary the Virgin  registers.

William Pudney
baptised April 2nd, 1826
son of James and Sarah
father a mariner.

James Pudney
Sarah Turner
both single and of the parish
by banns
17th February, 1818
witnesses
William Pudney
Sarah Forster
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sheepbritt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 12 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for the wonderful help!  This has given me more information than I'd hoped for - I'll now try to unravel the Pudneys from the 1841 census.  I suppose the parents may have died which is why the children were in the workhouse?  It will be interesting trying to find out what happened to them all.

Offline MP.G

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 12 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi - James Pudney was my great-great grandfather and like you I have had no success in researching either his birth or death.

I actually didn't know about William, but he had 4 children after William, Louisa, George, Maria (my great grandmother) and Jane.

James' wife Sarah (nee Turner) seemed to die in childbirth, in Maldon Workhouse, giving birth to Jane in 1839, who then died herself at 3 days.

I would love to know about James - I don't know why Jane was born in the workhouse or whether James was still alive at this point.

I've searched merchant seamen records at the National Archives and found no record of James - he is rather a mystery man!

I would be very interested if you have been able to find out any more.

Offline sheepbritt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 12 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the information about Sarah - I hadn't found that.  There are several James Pudneys in the Maldon area at the right time - as yet I haven't researched them to find out which, if any, is likely to be "our" James. 

Is it possible that James was a fisherman sailing out of Maldon on his own account, or on a small boat owned by someone else, rather than being a merchant seaman?  He doesn't appear in the Maldon Poll of Voters for 1826 (there are  lots of mariners listed)  but then he may not have lived in Maldon.  I need to check all the nearby villages.   

Your reply has re-ignited my interest in him (I'd been working on other parts of my family tree) so I'll get back to the Pudneys in the coming weeks. 

If anyone reading this can help with James Pudney, mariner, please get in touch!

Thanks for your help.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 August 12 11:50 BST (UK) »
There's a death for a James Pudney Jun 1838 Maldon - when was daughter Jane born in the workhouse?

Could be why his widow was in there  :(

If the dates fit that is ie he was alive when his wife was "with child" if you know what I mean!
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 August 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
On Louisa's marriage cert in 1850 it says father James Pudney (deceased) occupation seaman.

I would tentatively say the 1838 death for James is looking good.  Would explain why he didn't make a census and for Sarah/children being in the workhouse.

Only the certificate will tell us for sure unless there is a burial record somewhere that would show more detail  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 August 12 13:00 BST (UK) »
Burial

James Pudney
3rd April, 1838
aged 72yrs
St. Mary the Virgin, Maldon.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk