Author Topic: census Please  (Read 1722 times)

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
census Please
« on: Wednesday 29 February 12 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have a Hugh Allen aged 55 in the 1841 index Census wife Martha aged 50 but i am not sure if they tell you his occupation or not so i will give you the 1851 Census index also for the same couple.
Hugh Allen aged 69 wife Martha aged 64.
Reg. Newport

What I am trying to prove is one of my ancestors married and gave her father's name as a Hugh Compton Occupation a Capt ? but as she was born out of wedlock the name Hugh maybe right  but a Compton he was not as the Isle of Wight R. O. says there are no Bapt. Marriages or Deaths recorded on the island for a Hugh Compton and I can not find one anywhere.

I did find three gentleman whose name starts with Hugh one being Hugh Allen 1782/1786  Hugh Murry ca. 1798 wife Ann living at Ryde I.O.W. and another who was too old to worry about as he was born ca.1768 I am hoping one of these gentleman had the Occupation as a Capt, not sure if he was a captain on a boat or does it stand for something else?

Really appreciate any information on these gentlemen and as the lady who had the child was born 1797 I thought Hugh Murry 1798 and Hugh Allen 1786 may hold the key .

Thank you.

Ochsenkopff

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: census Please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 February 12 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi just to make you aware of the Hugh Allen with wife Martha, he was shown on the 1841 Census as an Ag Lab, and on the 1851 as Pauper formerly Lab b Godshill

Hugh Murry in 1841 with wife Ann and children is a Coast Guard born Ireland, wife Ann born Scotland
Census Ref HO107/406/ 2/20/5

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 March 12 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keyboard 86

Thank you, Thank you so much for that info I have now put a name to the father of a child born out of wedlock which is almost impossible to do.
Brickwalls can be broken down.
I am over the moon with Hugh Murry being the father especial seeing he was a coast guard.
and now it is official.
I wonder if Ann the wife of Hugh Murry ever found out that he fathered a child out of wedlock ? although it was about 10 or eleven years before he married her.

Appreciate your time and info.

Ochsenkopff

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 March 12 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I think I would be very wary of making such an assumption.  People often made up names to avoid embarassment and these names had no relevance at all.  Can you prove that Hugh Murry was on the Isle of Wight at that time?

Coast guards did not stay posted to the same station throughout their careers.  They moved around every so often, even if only to come back again a while later.  Hugh's wife was Scottish and one of their sons was born in Scotland in 1832.  The family was Roman Catholic.  I can trace Hugh's postings back from 1841 to 1829 when he arrives at Banff, but as yet I don't know where from.  Before being posted to East Cowes, he was at Freshwater and before that, the postings were in Kent after he arrived from Rattray Head.

Also coast guards did not have a rank of captain  (their ranks were boatman, commissioned boatman, chief boatman, chief officer).  :-\  Hugh was only a boatman in 1829.

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 March 12 22:06 GMT (UK) »
 :)  found his appointment in April 1825 to a station in Ireland, Mellisle.  I'll try to find where he went to from there. 

It sounds as if he was not on the Isle of Wight in 1815/16.

Nell

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 March 12 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nell
As Caroline Compton's mother Jane Compton was born 1797 and I was looking for a Hugh surname unknown on the Isle of Wight this Hugh Murry born about 1798 was the ovious choice and after seeing the Marriage Certicate of Caroline Blake nee Compton saying her father's name was Hugh Compton a Capt, looked like Capt but then the Isle Of Wight Record office states there was no such person of that name on the Island or ever had been. I have never traced a Hugh Compton anywhere for that period.

Found a site on Hugh Murry for Coast guards 1841 age 43 from Ireland wife Ann of Scotland plus his family all at Seaview which I found was on the coast line of the Isle of Wight  Ref. HO 107/406/2 Folio 20 unfortunately this side came up as a High Risk Site so I got off it in a hurry.

I know what you are saying about Hugh Murry but maybe Caroline Compton did not know much about her father as her own mother died in 1828 and she would have been only 14 at the time and she May have thought his was a Captain of a ship ??

Will give this more thought as I can not prove Hugh was at the Isle of Wight in 1816,. he also seems to dissappear after the 1841 Census with family.

Thank you for caring every bit of info helps and you have done a great job tracing this chap down.

Ochsenkopf       

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 March 12 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Hugh seems to have stayed at Mellisle from 1825 to 1829 when he was posted to Banff.  Previous to this posting he was at Red Bay. Cushendall. He was born there.  I cannot see any evidence that he left there before he was nominated as a boatman in 1822 at the age of 23.   :(

I'm still not convinced.

Nell

Offline Ochsenkopff

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 March 12 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nell
You certainly are good at your research and yes I am getting worried about this Hugh Murry .
Hugh actually married his wife Ann Mclean 17/7/1830 Gamrie Banff Scotland which ties in with his move to Banff in 1829 but trying to prove that he actually went to the Isle of Wight earlier well that would be something.

As Caroline's father was suppose to be Hugh Compton and yet none exist on the Isle of Wight from where she was born, it only left any Hugh who came from the Isle Of Wight and three only appear who could have been her actually parent.
It is not looking good for me but who knows.

There was a George Murry aged 30 and wife Elizabeth aged 25 with children also reg. at Ryde 1841 Census where Hugh Murry was but both George his family and Hugh and his family seem to dissappear from the Census all together, were they related or just another coincidence, Iam just clutching at straws again.

You have put in some really good research and I thank you for that even though I may never prove that Hugh Murry belongs with this family

Ochsenkopf   

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 March 12 21:32 GMT (UK) »
As Caroline's father was suppose to be Hugh Compton and yet none exist on the Isle of Wight from where she was born, it only left any Hugh who came from the Isle Of Wight and three only appear who could have been her actually parent.

I think this may be rather too simple.

If I remember rightly, Caroline's mother was not born on the island.  Do you know how her family came to be there?  Caroline said her father was a captain? Perhaps he was a soldier?  There was a garrison at Carisbrooke Castle, so perhaps the father of her child was another soldier, who may have left the island when his regiment did and never returned.  He may also have died.  There is rather a lot of time between 1816 and 1841 when trying to pick up the trail of Hugh in the census.   :(

Nice theory though it is, the idea that Hugh, Caroline's father, was possibly Hugh Murray a coastguard, from Ireland who made his way to the Isle of Wight when he was still a teenager, fathered a child, returned to Antrim before he was appointed as a boatman aged 23 there and perchance managed to end up back on the Isle of Wight after several postings over 20 years in Scotland and the south coast of England is a wee bit of a stretch.   :(

This may still be a brick wall.

Nell