Author Topic: 1841/1851 Shropshire (Whitchurch?) Look up  (Read 2266 times)

Offline sharlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841/1851 Shropshire (Whitchurch?) Look up
« on: Tuesday 17 May 05 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for John MEAKIN (MEACHIN/MACKIN) and Ann BOYCOTT on the 1841 and/or 1851 censuses for Shropshire, probably in or around Whitchurch.
 John was born c 1825 but no idea of parents, Ann was born c 1829 possibly the daughter of William and Patience BOYCOTT.
I know they both lived in Shropshire at some point and had children in Whitchurch (Way Mills?) and were probably married by 1851 with children (Joseph? and John?).
Ann states she was born in Whitchurch on later censuses.

Any look up gratefully appreciated.

Sharlie

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 Shropshire (Whitchurch?) Look up
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharlie,

I can have a look in our local library for the 1841 Whitchurch census - it will have to be next week as I am "dog sitting" at my brothers this week.
So if you haven't got an answer by then - I will see what I can find - do you think John was born/living in Whitchurch around 1841?

They also have the Parish Records - do you want me to check on them as well?

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline sharlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Thank you so much for the offer. I believe the family (John+Ann+children) were in Whitchurch in 1851 and may well have baptisms in the parish registers round then. Any information on this would be great.

Ann seems to say she is born Whitchurch (c. 1829) in almost every census and there is a Patience Boycott (bc 1792) living with grandson Joseph Makin (Meakin on later a census) in 1861 who may well be her mother. I don't know if this would be in the parish registers also.

As for John, he sometimes says born Shropshire, sometimes Newcastle in Staffordshire so I am not 100% sure. I wuld guess he lived in both places at some time, but at the time of the 1841 I don't know.

Any information (whatever the timescale) would be greatly appreciated!

Sharlie

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharlie,

Will see what I can find - the Whitchurch library only has the 1841 and 1901 census records for the area + Parish records - so will have a search.

Have you seen my little piece on graveyards in Whitchurch - any of your lot in there?

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline sharlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 10:47 BST (UK) »

Show of ignorance here but....
Is the graveyard thing on the message board or on your website?

Sharlie

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 May 05 10:52 BST (UK) »

Sorry - just seen you are new - WELCOME - great site this!!

Try http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,19653.0.html

Just trying to help out - as I have had untold requests answered on this site - thought I would like to put a bit back

Cheers

Keith

P.S. Should have told you it was on my website to make you visit that!!   ;D ;D

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 05 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharlie,

Had a long look at the 1841 census (which isn't indexed and very faint in some cases)!!

Not sure if this is a great deal of use - depends on your approx date for John's birth!!

Anyway - here goes:

George Pemberton - 40 - Lab
Sarah Boycott         - 25
Mary Boycott           -   4
George  "                 - 8 months
all living at Green End, Whitchurch

6 Doors away - also in Green End

John Meachin  51 - Lab
Sarah  "           49
John     "          21  Joiner
Sarah   "          19
Thomas  "        18
Jane      "         15
James    "         13
Ann        "         10
Elizabeth "         8
Henry      "         5

These are the only Boycott/Meachin I could find - seems rather strange that they live so close together - but where is Ann?? - unless she was off working as a servant in one of the local villages!!

Also had a quick look for any marriage around 1845 - again without any luck - then ran out of my time on the reader.

Will have a look in the parish registers for any births - shortly - let me know in the meantime if you find any more relevant information.

Hope this might help

Cheers

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline sharlie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 June 05 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry for not replying sooner but I have been away for a few days.

Thanks for your info- bit confusing overall! Ann Boycott seems adamant she was born in Whitchurch but as you say she could be in service somewhere- bit surprised her parents William and Patience (?) aren't there though. Patience is there in 1861.

Not sure about John. He says he is born Whitchurch and also Newcastle in Staffs, but I think this entry is definitely worth me looking into and following up on the 51. I haven't been able to trace down the marriage of John MEAKIN and Ann BOYCOTT (somewhere 1845-51 probably) but it doesn't appear to be on the Cheshire BMD. This would give his father which would be a major help.

Any info at all from the Parish records gratefully accepted. Maybe on the birth of Ann BOYCOTT?
I do have a favour to ask though. I realised last week that a couple from a compleetly different branch of the family got married in Whitchurch. If you ever have the time I would love to know more about the entry. It is for Samuel POOLE and Ann COOPER Feb 1st 1832 Whitchurch. Although they both subsequently lived in Nantwich Cheshire I have no idea if they were from there or Whitchurch originally.

Thanks again for all your help,
Sharlie

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 June 05 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharlie,

Had another visit to the library today - some details listed - still not found Ann Boycott's marriage - while looking for someone else in the Wem census for 1841 I did come across another couple of Boycotts - don't expect they are yours (yet!!) - but have listed them.
I have now searched the Whitchurch marriages from 1843 - 1851 - nothing - must have got married in one of the outlying towns, which are not at the library.

1841 Census - Wem
Luther Boycott - 55 - M S - born in county No
Sarah      "          60                                    Y

Joseph Boycott - 32 - Ag Lab                      Y
Elizabeth   "        27                                    Y
Edwin        "          5                                    Y

Whitchurch Parish Marriage Records.
Samuel Pool - of this Parish -
Ann Cooper  - of this Parish
at this church by Banns - 1st day of February 1832 - by me J Morrall - Curate.
2 "X" marks for signatures
In the presence of George Woollam(?) & C Phillips (who also was a witness at the next marriage, so might be the verger)

While looking for the above and Ann's marriage I came across the following - perhaps siblings of Samuel Pool(e)??

Sept 30th 1843
William Sandford - Farmer - Claypit St (Whitchurch) -  Father -  John Sandford - Farmer
Jane Poole - Claypit St - Father - Thomas Poole - Wheelwright.
Witness - Henry Sandford & Jane Elizabeth Sandford

March 26th 1848
Joseph Poole - Baker - Whitchurch - Father - Joseph Poole - Farmer
Mary Cartwright         - Whitchurch - Father - John Cartwright - Farmer

Witness Elizabeth Cartwright & William Thormar(?)   

Which means I will have a look for Ann's birth record - next time - all that will show tho is : Ann daughter of William & Patience Boycott - will that help?? 

Cheers

Keith   

Has Bouncing Emails