Author Topic: Dinah or Diana TAPPER  (Read 6456 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dinah or Diana TAPPER
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 16:55 BST (UK) »
Free BMD (UK)

Marriages - June - 1864 -- Reg'd.  Islington (London)

TAPPER - Henry John

NEVILLE - Elizabeth
SMITH - Diana Sarah
WILD - Silas

[Census returns seem to indicate that Silas WILD had a wife named Elizabeth - so probably the Elizabeth NEVILLE above ? ]

Deaths - 1866 -- Reg'd. at Camberwell

TAPPER - Henry J. - aged 36 years  (bc 1830)

Haven't found Diana TAPPER on UK census after 1861 -- and there doesn't appear to have been a re-marriage in UK for her.
                                                                        next  >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 17:06 BST (UK) »
Diana Sarah SMITH

Greenwich, Kent
59 Bennett Street

SMITH

- John T. SMITH - head - 48 - Waterman - b. Greenwich
- Catherine - wife - 48 - b. Bexley, Kent
- Eliza F. - 24 - dau 
- David B. - 17 - son - apprentice (waterman ?)
- Richard C. - 14 - son
- Diana S. - 12 - dau
- Ann M. - 9 - dau
- Millicent A. - 6 - dau
- Alice C. - 4 - dau

[All chilldren born Greenwich ]

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 17:13 BST (UK) »

Greenwich St. Alphege - Greenwich East
2 Morden Place

SMITH

- John T. - head - 58 - pilot - b. Kent, Greenwich
- Catherine - wife - 58 - b. Bexley, Kent
- Richard C. - son - 24 - waterman
- Diana S. - dau - 21 - unmarried - milliner
- Millicent - dau - 16
- Alice C. - dau - 14 - dressmaker

[All children born at Greenwich ]

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 17:25 BST (UK) »
Baptism

St. Alphege Greenwich - Co. of Kent

Diana Sarah SMITH

Born :  23 April 1839
Baptised :  5 June 1839

D/o  John Thomas and Catherine SMITH
Occupation - waterman
Resident at :   Bennett Street.
----------------------------------------------------

Other baptisms for children of above couple :

Eliza Frances SMITH (bc 1826) /  Catherine Ellen SMITH (bc 1832) / David Barter SMITH (bc 1834) / Richard Charles SMITH (bc 1838) / Ann Margaret SMITH (1841) / Millicent Emma SMITH (bc 1844) / Alice Catherine SMITH (1847) :

Offline HBelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 05:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to Beg, Ian C, Lu ,  Minnehaha and Lucy 2 for your great  responses to my query.  (I hope I didn't miss someone!)  Much appreciated!
I need to ponder on all the information you have sent me.

Also, Diane Tapper is not the only NZ puzzle regarding the wives of Thomas William Stilling.  At least, I have been shown that he actually married Diane. Thankyou!
He fathered another child in NZ with Lady(?) Charlotte Florence STRATFORD!  Again no record of a marriage can I find, just the birth of the child 1 May 1871 called Florence May Georgina Stilling/Stratford, #1871/9737.
The "story" is that Charlotte went back to England to visit her mother and died there, leaving infant Florence May in NZ with a "cousin".
I have parents' names for Lady Charlotte:  Earl Mason Gerard Stratford (1784-1849) and Countess Mary Arundel (1810-1875). 
I know that daughter Florence May Georgina  married Ernest Henry Kilmister, 1907 NZ #1907/5225. 
Thomas Stilling:  Well, he sailed on to Noumea, then to Sydney.  That's another part of the "story".
HBelle

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 07:34 BST (UK) »
Mmm ... "Lady, Charlotte Florence STRATFORD"  ... I see there are numerous trees online which mention her "supposed parents".

PapersPast has some items which seem might link to "Mrs STRATFORD" .   ???

[I note the newspaper articles concerning the welfare of  Thomas Wm. STILLING's sons, and which mentions his other children who lived in Christchurch / Auckland / Greymouth, also make reference to a "Mrs STRATFORD". ]   Possibly Mrs STRATFORD was the mother of the child living at Greymouth ???

http://paperspast.govt.nz

"Grey River Argus" (Published at Greymouth)
 - 3 October 1872 -- Page 3 / column 1

... offering a reward for the return of a lost envelope containing a photograph of a gentleman, and on which is written "Hon. Byron STRATFORD".   Contact Mrs Florence STRATFORD, Retreat Hotel :

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 07:40 BST (UK) »
This advertisement too (- just selected at random).

"Grey River Argus" - 10 September 1872 - page 3 / col. 1

MRS  FLORENCE  STRATFORD

Milliner, Dressmaker and Mantle Maker

Retreat Hotel, Sefton Street

Machine work done.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 07:51 BST (UK) »
This article mentions Thomas William STELLING and an order made for monetary support of his child, following a complaint from Florence STRATFORD.

"Grey River Argus" - 31 August 1871 - Untitled

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 March 12 16:37 BST (UK) »
A number of the children of Mason Gerard Stratford (a rather controversial figure: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Colin/Misc/Stratfords/Stratfords12.html ) were baptised in Italy in 1850 (see familysearch.org), including a Charlotte and a Byron.

From newspaper records, Byron Stratford joined the Navy as a Clerk's Assistant in 1853, by 1861 was Assistant Paymaster on the Orlando.

In 1864 there was an accident at Tunis, on the 3rd November, when a cutter belonging to the HMS Orlando overturned in a squall; eight officers, three seamen, and a marine were lost, the coxswain being the only man saved. Byron Stratford, assistant paymaster, was among the deceased officers. He is listed as Hon. Byron Stratford in a death notice published in January 1865.

This does lend some weight to the connection between Florence Stratford in NZ and Charlotte Stratford the daughter of Mason Gerard Stratford. Newspaper records also show that three of the sons were in Leghorn and in some trouble in 1851/2 relating to some secret society hostile to the Tuscan government and connected with Mazzini (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_Mazzini ): Henry, called "Lord Aldborough", aged 23, sentenced to 10 years (originally sentenced to death), Charles, set free (originally sentenced to a year's imprisonment), Edward, 19, sentenced to 6 years (originally sentenced to death)

One record mentions that although they were considered the sons of the Earl of Aldborough during his lifetime, they were never able to prove their legitimacy, and were left "without much resource" upon his death.  Another mentions that although "Lady Aldborough", their mother, was at home when their residence was raided in 1851, two daughters had just a fortnight before been sent to England.

One of the daughters is probably Olivia Stratford, in later censuses in England born Belgium, and listed among those christened in 1850. Another record from 1852 mentions "Lady O", one of two supposed daughters of the Earl of Aldborough, regarding poor treatment at the Sisters of Mercy in Plymouth, after they had arrived there from Italy.

A Charltte Stratford appears on NZ passenger immigration lists in 1865 at familysearch but the site is misbehaving right now so I can't access the full details.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk