Author Topic: How is Martha TAYLOR related to John CHILD  (Read 13933 times)

Offline jackiea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How is Martha TAYLOR related to John CHILD
« on: Tuesday 01 May 12 14:09 BST (UK) »
A big mystery to me. John Child passed away in 1880 in queensland. He was insolvent in the late 1870's and it wasnt until 1914 a case was bought before the courts as Martha Taylor died and left a sum of money to the late John Child. The courts ordered the monies from Martha Taylor's estate be used to pay the people who were owed money from John Child before he died.  I can not find how Martha taylor was related to John Child and if she was why was her will not changed prior to her death as John had died in 1880. Can anyone help with these questions?
Thank you in advanced for your help.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: How is martha taylor related to John Child
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, Why do people do anything before they die? To clear their concience generally. :-[

I dont think Martha Taylor was related. But instead may have been the reason he went insolvent.

Do you know the reason John Child went insolvent? Is John Child or Martha Taylor in your tree?

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you know the names of John's parents ?

I have not found a death for him on QLD BDM's

This may be his death notice http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/902758?searchTerm=john child  &searchLimits=fromyyyy=1880|||frommm=05|||fromdd=15|||toyyyy=1880|||tomm=05|||todd=15
Thinking out loud was Martha his sister or aunt ?

Muss

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 23:25 BST (UK) »
John Child died country Queensland 1885. No Parents Listed, born England.
Ref#1885/C555

Neil

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 May 12 23:53 BST (UK) »
There is also this that I cannot find a BDM for?

CHILD.-On the 3rd March, at Wigmore, John Child, late of Diddlebury, aged 72.

From The Queenslander 22nd May 1880...... 2 & 1/2 months after the death?

Was that the one you referred to Muss?

Neil

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 00:34 BST (UK) »
I think that the 1880 death notice refers to a death in Shropshire, England, not Queensland.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 00:47 BST (UK) »
Some info on John CHILD who died 1885:

The Marriage of John Child and Mary Butler took place in  the District Registrars Office, Sweers Island on the 2nd January 1869.

At the time of the marriage John Child was a squatter age 25years, of Lawn Hill Burketown and Mary Butler was a Domestic Servant at Burketown.

I  have been told they lived on Carpentaria Downs when John Child died on the 22  May 1885. Mary remarried 3 months later to William Charles Borlaise Wilson. Apparently William Wilson's father was also William Charles Borlaise (or Borlam) Wilson who was a surveyor and his Mother was Sarah Hall. I was also told John and Mary Child also lived on Lyndhurst Station.  Their daughter Beatrice Child married Francis Edward Cobbold and they owned Hughenden Station.

Other information you might like to have is John and Mary Child had 6 children - Charles Edward born 4th October 1873 at Wando Vale,( he was my Gr.Grandfather) Beatrice Sarah born 31 December1869,  James William born 10 December1868, John Mytton born 2 March 1872, (he was  named after Mr. Mytton who owned Wando Vale), Ernest Burdekin born 23 March 1875 died 7th February 1876 and William Child born 23rd July 1879, died 26th October 1886.

http://www.burkeshirecouncil.com/bob_edols.htm

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

There was of course more than one John CHILD who died in 1880.   Here is one whose death was noted in Queensland newspapers, but who died in England.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/902758 The Brisbane Courier 15 May 1880
DEATH
CHILD – On the 3rd March, at Wigmore, John Child, late of Diddlebury, aged 72.

From the National Probate Calendar  (ENGLAND)

CHILD John Personal Estate under £50.
2 June.  The Will of John Child formerly of Beckley near Christchurch in the County of Southampton but late of Wigmore in the County of Hereford.  Gentleman who died 3 March 1880 at Wigmore was proved at Hereford by James Nott of Brampton Brian in the County of Hereford Farmer one of the Executors.

Jackiea, may I please ask some questions

1.  How do you know that the estate of Martha Taylor was distributed to the people who were owed money by the Insolvent Estate of a John Child who passed away in 1880 in Queensland? 

2.  Do you have the death certificates for either the Martha Taylor or the John Child that you mention.   Queensland BDM certificates are very informative, and include details that are not usually found on English certificates.  In fact Qld certificates include burial details and not just the details of the death of the deceased.   If you have either or both, please type up all the information on these documents.  Often the smallest detail helps us all to help you to advance your quest.

3.  When did Martha Taylor die?  The case you mention was brought before the courts in 1914, however Martha may have died long before then.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 01:04 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/59079469 Townsville Daily  7 Feb 1914.

"Letters of administration In the goods of John Child, late of Lorne Hill Station, but formerly of Townsvile, grazier, deceased. Intestate, who died at Cowan Downs Station on May 22, 1885, were granted to Mary Wilson, of Ingham, widow. ......"

I think this would be the John Child that Dundee mentions.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.