Author Topic: Where is Drumgory?  (Read 2881 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is Drumgory?
« on: Saturday 09 June 12 15:03 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage record of David Main and Beatrix Ritchie, married 1710. It states that they married in Drumgory (Airdrie or New Monkland OPR). One of the witnesses was John Main of Balochnie. David and Beatrix had their children in Drumbeck. I found a Drumbeck just south of Glasgow and another place called Drumbeck 2 about 20km north of Glasgow. I'm not sure which Drumbeck would be the correct one. Does anyone know where Drumgory was located? Also, where is Balochnie? Thanks for the help.
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Drumgory?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 June 12 15:50 BST (UK) »
http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/place_page.jsp?p_id=22338

I think the other location names may be the names of houses rather than areas

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 June 12 15:54 BST (UK) »
Jim,  Ballochney, a village on the north side of Airdrie. The Drum name could be Drumgray, a village north of the town, also New Monkland.

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 12 16:56 BST (UK) »
Ballochnie/Balochney http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS7967
Drumgray http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS7770 is probably Drumgory
Drumbeck: Could it be Dumbreck http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS7770 (Click on the map to enlarge it and see Dumbreck)?
Or Drumbreck http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NS8268 (Again, click on the map)

If the family' baptisms were recorded in New Monkland, it won't be the one 20 km north of Glasgow. It also won't be the riding school near Haggs Castle that comes up on Google.

There are several references in the index to Sasines for Lanarkshire 1721-1780 to Mains of Ballochnie (with a variety of spellings) but not to this particular David Main.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 June 12 21:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to all of you for your prompt, helpful responses.
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 22:06 BST (UK) »
These are all places of my youth. Drumgray is attached to Greengairs, as is Meikle Drumgray
Ballochney is just on the outskirts of Plains.

Today these places are all known as "The Lost Villages" a book was written about them of that title (which I have)
Whiterigg, Darngavil, Arden, Ballochney, Craigmauchen, Miekle Drumgray, North Standrigg, South Standrigg.
They were all Mining Villages with houses built by Coal Owners, you will find descriptions
on the Mining Web Site.

Where a place is referred to as "Mains" as in Ballochney Mains, or Mains of Ballochney that
refers to a Farm, the Main Farm in a group.

If you look up a modern map such as Streetmap you will see these places still exist, Ballochney Farm is still there just north of Plains, Drumgray is in Greengairs, Airdriehill is where Whiterigg used to be, again just north of Plains.
I lived next door to Willie Waddle who committed suicide in Plains, Lanarkshire in the 1960s. 

James.

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 23:32 BST (UK) »
Very informative and useful for me. Thank you. Jim Main
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 June 12 00:01 BST (UK) »
A follow up question. I'm researching David Main/ Beatrix Ritchie, m. 1710, Drumgray. I will be looking at New Monkland microfilms in the next few days, but expect to visit Scotland later this year. Do you have any suggestions as to the best place to do more specific research on this couple, as I've not had much luck finding out about them (other than who were their children, born in Drumbreck or Drumbeck). Thanks again
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 June 12 00:18 BST (UK) »
1710 is a long way back and records are few and far between, you are fortunate to get what
you have now. Airdrie Public Library keeps a lot of local records, apart from that it would be
Register House in Edinburgh, (wise to book a seat there in advance) they hold all the Scottish records
or point you to the other offices in Edinburgh where Sasines and Legal papers etc are kept.

1710 would be before the Coal Fields opened up, I would guess occupations will be agricultural
or in Service in the large houses. Airdriehill was a big Mansion and pictures still exist I think.

James.