Author Topic: Name change  (Read 3189 times)

Offline busbridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Name change
« on: Saturday 12 December 09 07:47 GMT (UK) »
I have been trying to find out some info on ancestor. Have run in to a brick wall. His name is Michael Hergatt he was born 28 march 1904 no idea where.
He died November 1998 in Iowa USA. He Married Ann K Baxter can not find marriage date. She was born 12 Jan 1906 in Putnam County Ohio USA and died 24 Nov. 1992. I have got her tree right back to 17th century but I am stuck on Michael. I think he could have escaped Europe and changed is name when he got to America. He sold country and western clothing for a living.
Any help would be wonderful. :D

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Name change
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 December 09 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Ann's 1930 census record?  There is a Michael M. Hergatt, with wife Ann K, living in Madison, Richland County, Ohio in 1930.  It states he was age 26 and she was age 24.  He was age 23 and she was age 21 when they were married.  His place of birth is Ohio, parents born "Jugo Slavia".  They were living near three other Hergatt families.

[They are listed as Hergott, but image clearly shows Hergatt.]
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline busbridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 December 09 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying so quickly. No I have no access to the census so your info is great. I wonder if the other Hergatt families were parents or siblings.
Thanks again. :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 December 09 10:19 GMT (UK) »
I have to turn off the computer soon.  Typing quickly...

1930 census, continued
Two children were living with Michael and Anna K.  (Will try to send names by pm.)  Michael was a Labourer, Factory.
Michael's brother was living with them as well.  Will send his information.

Living next door was John Hergatt, age 60.  Born "Jugo Slavia" as were his parents.  Immigrated 1903.  Farmer.  Wife, Katherine, age 57, immigrated 1903, born Jugo Slavia.  One son was living with them.

Two houses away from Michael was Philip Hergatt, age 53, born Jugo Slavia, immigrated 1902.  Farmer.  Wife Christina, age 45, immigrated 1902, born Jugo Slavia.  Living with them was one son, born Ohio.

Living on the other side of Michael were Nicholas Hergatt, age 32, born Ohio, and wife Threse?, age 33.  Threse, born Jugo Slavia, immigrated 1900.  They had one son.

All lived on Park ave? East Road.

I have not taken the time to double-check the above.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 December 09 10:35 GMT (UK) »
1910 Mansfield Ward 4, Richland County, Ohio
John Hargot? and Catherine, born born Germany.  Immigrated 1903.  She was the mother of 6 children, 6 still living.  Married 16 years.  Image is very faint: his age looks like 39, hers 37.
Their children (I'm guessing at the spelling):
Salonach (son), age 15; Nicholas, age 13, Johan, age 10, Michael, age 6, Rosina, age 4, Katherine, age 1.

First three children born in Germany; others born in Ohio.

Phillip Hagot and wife Christine/a were living two houses away.  Immigrated 1907?

John Harcot and Christine/a were living three houses away.  Immigrated 1905.

Guessed at most spellings; image difficult to read.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 December 09 10:42 GMT (UK) »
1920 Madison, Richland County
"Micheal Hergott" age 16 years, born Ohio.  Parents born Austria.  Parents John R., age 49 and Katherine, age 47.  Living with 5 siblings.  Parents' immigration: 1901.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 December 09 10:49 GMT (UK) »

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 07:38 GMT (UK) »
If the family on the census that Lisa found is the right family then I believe I found their arrival to the US. The census indicated they arrived in 1903 and I found a Hergatt family that included Johan and Katerina with children Solomon, Nikolaus and Johan. They were on the Neckar which departed from Bremen, Germany and arrived in Baltimore on 3 May 1903. The passenger list does say they are going to Mansfield and that they are going to join Johan's brother Phillip there. The writing is difficult to read but I think it says that Johan was a joiner. In the nationality column it says they were from Hungary of German descent but I have absolutely no clue what it says in the column for their last residence.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Found a possible spelling for the place in Germany:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~banatdata/DUK/Surname-Servo.htm
Hergatt: "Mramorak"