Author Topic: Richard III and DNA testing  (Read 29227 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard III and DNA testing
« Reply #27 on: Friday 14 September 12 21:19 BST (UK) »
thanks for confirming the status of Mr Ibsen's mother. shame she didn't live so see the current events unfold.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 14 September 12 22:47 BST (UK) »
He wasn't a hunchback, as Shakespeare alleged, but he did have scoliosis, which is a sideways curvature of the spine.  Apparently the skeleton also has scoliosis.

This is intriguing as I'm one of those who believe that the hunchback, withered armed, limping Richard was an invention of Tudor propaganda as no contemporary reports mention that he had any deformity.  But the fact that the skeleton appears to have scoliosis lends credibility, if it is indeed Richard, to him having a spine deformity, perhaps not a hunchback but maybe one shoulder higher than the other. 

This did not however prevent him being an accomplished soldier from the age of 14 until his death on the battlefield at Bosworth - the last English king to die in battle.  Difficult to conceive he could have achieved this with all the physical handicaps that Shakespeare gives him.

Maggie - slightly off topic  :)
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 14 September 12 23:16 BST (UK) »
I too am fascinated by this discovery and the associated research, and particularly that the skeleton suffered from scoliosis.  I am awaiting further information with bated breath!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pbmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 14 September 12 23:32 BST (UK) »
Autosomal DNA Would seem to be inherited thus, You are 50% of each of your parents, 25% of your grandparents, 12.5% great grandparents, 6.25% of your 2Xgreat grandparents, and 3.125% of your 3Xgreat grandparents. Obviously therefore unless you have a high level of inbreeding in your tree then this seems to be little use in determining your ancestral line beyond your great grandparents.

It doesn't work like that! The 50% that you get from each parent can contain any mix of what they got from their parents.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 16 September 12 15:46 BST (UK) »
Autosomal DNA Would seem to be inherited thus, You are 50% of each of your parents, 25% of your grandparents, 12.5% great grandparents, 6.25% of your 2Xgreat grandparents, and 3.125% of your 3Xgreat grandparents. Obviously therefore unless you have a high level of inbreeding in your tree then this seems to be little use in determining your ancestral line beyond your great grandparents.

It doesn't work like that! The 50% that you get from each parent can contain any mix of what they got from their parents.

Does that affect the argument and the proportions. Please explain in more depth if possible.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 16 September 12 20:57 BST (UK) »
  Is inadequate exit signage in these car parks to blame for buried bodies?

Offline pbmartin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 17 September 12 09:13 BST (UK) »

Does that affect the argument and the proportions. Please explain in more depth if possible.

If anything it strengthens the argument that autosomal DNA is of little use to determine your ancestral line beyond a couple of generations.

It certainly affects the proportions of DNA that you inherit - those from generations before your parents are indeterminable. Here's a little illustration - take a pack of cards, separate the suits and discard the aces - the twelves spades represent your paternal grandfather's DNA, hearts your paternal grandmother's, etc. Deal six spades and six hearts to your father, then six clubs and six diamonds to your mother. Now shuffle your father's cards and deal six to yourself, likewise with your mother's cards. Now look at your cards - it's unlikely that you'll have exactly three cards (25%) from each suit (grandparent).

Offline Maggie.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I haven't a clue about my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 17 September 12 09:42 BST (UK) »
I'm following this thread with interest.  pbmartin - thank you for that lucid illustration of how DNA inhertitance works.

Maggie  :)
Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 17 September 12 13:46 BST (UK) »
They had a little section at the end of today's Daily Politics programme (last 5 minutes - you can watch it on the BBC iplayer) on Richard III.

They were talking to a Professor (Lin Foxall ?) at Leicester University about this. She does not underestimate the difficulties involved in making a genetic connection and pointed out that archaeologists don't normally try to link back to named people. Still they reckon its about 12 weeks until they get the DNA results. What I want an interviewer to ask is why are you only doing one DNA test - why not test against a number of "living descendants" - or is that going to be phase II ?
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.