Author Topic: children of John Mackenzie(b.23 SEP 1784 )and Elizabeth Symonds ( 1773-?)  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Jojopaz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
children of John Mackenzie(b.23 SEP 1784 )and Elizabeth Symonds ( 1773-?)
« on: Tuesday 02 October 12 23:09 BST (UK) »
I'm stuck - I'm looking for children of these two... I know so far there was Stephen Mackenzie (1804-52 born in St Georges East, Middlesex), father of Sir Morell Mackenzie and Charles Mackenzie (1805-1877) (otherwise known as Henry Compton the actor)  Am surprised I can't find this information as this is obviously a well known family... maybe just because I'm a beginner at all this... have spent hours trawling the internet!

I'm hoping one child might be a Mary Addington Mackenzie (1810-1880) born in Aldgate Middlesex...  Have always been told our family is linked to the Mackenzies and think this might be the link.... maybe wrong though!

Would really appreciate any help with this one,
Many thanks

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: children of John Mackenzie(b.23 SEP 1784 )and Elizabeth Symonds ( 1773-?)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 09:05 BST (UK) »
the London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 on A*  have a lot of McKenzies but for John & Elizabeth i can only find these extra 2 which might be yours:

John Davis McKenzie  bap 15/8/1802
s/o John & Elizabeth  st Giles in the Fields, Camden, middlesex

Harriet McKenzie bap 29/10/1810
d/o john & Elizabeth  t Marylebone, Middlesex

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 09:06 BST (UK) »
do you have the marriage of John & Elizabeth - date??

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 09:09 BST (UK) »
there is another John McKenzie = Elizabeth Pixley married 1797 middlesex so this is going to be difficult to seperate the children.

Diddy

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 09:10 BST (UK) »
and another 2 or more John & Eliz...

Diddy

Offline Jojopaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 22:17 BST (UK) »
thanks so much for having a look... I think Harriet might be one!   I know they had 11 children, stephen was the eldest son, Charles was the sixth child... thats all I know.... can't find marriage date.... so frustrating, seem to be going round in circles!

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 October 12 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If I'm looking at the right family in 1851  HO107/1769  f.169  p.10  Stephen has his mother Elizabeth living with him, born 1773 in Kidderminster, Worcestershire.

I wonder if this is her marriage about 18 miles from Kidderminster,

John MACKENZIE 
Elizabeth SYMONDS
23 May 1797 
All Saints, West Bromwich, Staffordshire

but if this is right then it seems unlikely that Stephen b.1804 was the eldest child :-\

Have you seen this page which gives some further info?

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=mentalmickey&id=I0093

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Jojopaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 October 12 19:23 BST (UK) »
Great.. yes this must be them.  Stephen was the first SON but there was probably daughters before him.  Thank you so much and for the link.
Jo

Offline Jojopaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 October 12 23:32 BST (UK) »
Have done a bit more digging and yes it is definitely them so thank you.  I have also found out that Elizabeth Symonds' mother was Mary Addington (1752-1800) and her father was John Symonds (so the name I have in my tree, Mary Addington Mackenzie, looks very likely to be linked)  I really think she must be a child of John and Elizabeth but just can't find the proof !!

Also found out they belonged to the Church of Latter Day Saints... may suggest why I am struggling to to find out about them.

Mary Addington Mackenzie married Stephen Hagger Dobson (a congrgational minister) and one of their sons was Stephen St Neots Dobson...my GG Grandfather(also a congregational independent minister)... would make Mary my GGG Grandmother!   Would really appreciate any further help on this one... really want to confirm who her parents are!

Thanks

Jo