Author Topic: HEADSTONES in Kirkcaldy Cemeteries(Part 2)  (Read 105544 times)

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HEADSTONES in Kirkcaldy Cemeteries(Part 2)
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 10:10 BST (UK) »

A stab in the dark here Norrie, but there are some 'connections' buried in East Wemyss Cemetery. Do you have any records for there?

Hi Jake yes have full listings of headstones in East Wemyss & West Wemyss Cemeteries
who are you looking for need 2 names eg Joseph E Skinner & Euphemia Stubbles
or female Skinner names or any other names

Norrie

Gordon,Gillies, Taylor,Kinnear, Wemyss Parish

Offline Sheila Dodd-Fernley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 22:23 BST (UK) »

Hi Norrie and Jake,

Hope this helps!!
The family info is:
Margaret (Paul) Skinner died June 11, 1867 age 83 years at Pitmedden Wynd , Auchtermuchty.
Her Husband John Skinner Sr. died on Jan. 7th, 1871 age 71 years at St. Clairtown, Dysart.
Their son, John Skinner Jr. died Jan. 10th 1871 age 49 years at St. Clairtown, Dysart.
And his wife Janet (Logan) Skinner died Jan. 17th 1871 age 46 years at St. Clairtown, Dysart.
Joseph Logan, father of Janet Logan Skinner, died Jan. 23rd 1836 at age 39 years at Cash Feus, Strathmiglo.
 He married Elizabeth Wishart of Cash Feus at Strathmiglo parish on Jan. 27 1823. Daughter  of John Wishart and Janet Birrel of Cash Feus.
Euphemia Stubbles mother is Margaret Brown died November 15th 1879 at Links St., Abbotshall. She was attended by her son-in-law Joseph Logan Skinner living at 3 Schemt? Wynd, Abbotshall.
 Her mother Elizabeth (Turnball) Stubbles died November 23rd 1872 age 62 years at 130 Gas ?ank Wynd, Linktown, Abbotshall.
Her Husband John Stubbles died March 14th 1882 age 67 years at the Combination Poorhouse Kirkcaldy in Kinghorn.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Again,  John Skinner Sr. and Margaret Paul were married on Aug. 12, 1822 in Auchtermuchty parish.  Their son John Jr. was born at Auctermuchty parish and married Janet Logan there on Oct. 3 1844 at Auchtermuchty parish also.  Margaret Paul's father is James Paul.  Thanks, Sheila

Offline Jake Drummond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila and Norrie,
Latest info from the Kirkcaldy Cemeteries office at the Crematorium is that none of them are in Dysart or East Wemyss Cemeteries. I called in and asked to have that checked this afternoon.
I'm assuming that the Dysart one checked is that between Loughborough Road and Windmill Road, and wonder what options there were at the time?
There's said to be no records for Ravenscraig, now renamed Nether Street Cemetery, which might have been used given it's location next to the old Infirmary. Did they have an infectious diseases ward there I wonder?
I need to see if I can hunt down the Nether Street Church records.........

Certainly West Brae Hospital in East Wemyss had 'infectious' wards.
Gardner, Ritchie, Adamson, Drummond, Dunigan, Kilday, Ireland, Horsburgh, Dick....and others.
Mostly all Fife in the 1900's, but obviously some Irish connections!

Offline Jake Drummond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 23:31 BST (UK) »
Sheila, can you email me this record and I'll see if I can decipher and find the address please;

Joseph Logan Skinner living at 3 Schemt? Wynd, Abbotshall.
Gardner, Ritchie, Adamson, Drummond, Dunigan, Kilday, Ireland, Horsburgh, Dick....and others.

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 08 August 13 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jake & Shelia  after checking lair records for cemeteries in the Sinclartown area
I could find no records for John Skinner & his son John Skinner & his wife Janet Logan

the 1851 Census shows John &  Janet at Pitmedden Wynd Auchtermucty
along with children John 5, Elizabeth 3 & Joseph 8m
John Skinner his father & Margaret Paul were also at Pitmedden in 1851& 1861 Census

1861 Census  Goodsir Row Sinclairtown
John Skinner 38 Weaver, Janet 36, John 15,Elizabeth 13, Joseph 10, Margaret 8,
William 5, & Betsy 2

John Skinner his son John & his wife Janet died January 1871 just before the Census
at Sinclartown

The 1871 Census at Goodsir Row Dysart Shows
Joseph Skinner Head 20,Elizabeth 22, William15,Betsy13, Ann9, Jessie 6 & Jemimia 2

The 1881 Census 28 Cowan St Kirkcaldy
Joseph Skinner 30 Power Loom Tenter, now with a wife Euphemia Stubbles 27
son John 6, Joseph 3 & Margaret 3m

The 1891  Census 1 Volunteer Green Abbotshall shows
Joseph Skinner 40 Factory manager Euphemia 37,Euphemia 18, John 16, Joseph 13
Margaret 10, Elizabeth 6 Dominic 4

The 1901 Census 89 Commercial St Pathhead
Joseph Skinner 50 Linen factory manager , Euphemia 47,Elizabeth 16,Dominic 14 & Alexander 9

This is an headstone inscription from East Wemyss Cemetery

265.   Erected by Joseph Skinner ILMO his wife Euphemia Stubbles d. 4.2.1915 aged 81y.
 Also his son Joseph d. 7.7.1896 aged 19y.
 Also his daughter Euphemia d. 22.10.1901 aged 29y interred at Ravenscraig, Kirkcaldy.
 Also the above Joseph Skinner d. 27.2.1923 aged 72y.
Also their daughter Margaret d. 5.12.1956 aged 75y beloved wife of Bernard Welsh interred in U.S.A.

John Skinner & Janet Logan son John 1846 married Eliza Weir and the 1881 Census shows
him also a manager in a linen factory in Dysart
Inscription from Falkland Cemetery

57    John SKINNER died 1924 age 76
Elizabeth WEIR died 1935
Daughter Betsy SKINNER died 1961 age 85

Norrie
  ps Jake spoke to a relation of yours at Kirkcaldy Library today
Gordon,Gillies, Taylor,Kinnear, Wemyss Parish

Offline Jake Drummond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 08 August 13 23:28 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Norrie, I suspected that we'd find difficulties with the Skinner 'typhus' graves. Maybe Cupar Records Office will have records for their return to 'Muchty or Strath' cemetery, which I'll check in the morning, or it could be that there was a typhus dedicated graveyard in Kirkcaldy?

I'm working to find Goodsir's Row, (1861 Census) and I think it'll have been near the Hawkleymuir Linen Mill up Lawson Street/Park Road. That was a paper suppliers (McGrouthers?) when last used I think.
There looks to have been rows in this shot http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/spw042549 which is all built over now.

You've done a power of work Norrie, I'm due you a beer!

Relation in the Library would be Wendy, Christine's second cousin. We get around a bit!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 10 August 13 03:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Norrie!! Thank you so much for all the research you did!! That's amazing :) Regarding John Skinner & Janet Logan's " son John 1846 married Eliza Weir and the 1881 Census shows
him also a manager in a linen factory in Dysart
Inscription from Falkland Cemetery" John Skinner Sr. 1798 was born in Falkland! Maybe the John Sr., John Jr. and Janet Logan are buried in Falkland too?  John Jr. and his 2 sons John and Joseph were all factory managers!! That is amazing!! John Skinner 1846 attended all 3 typhus deaths! Thanks again so much!! Sheila

Offline Jake Drummond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 10 August 13 10:20 BST (UK) »
There's no reply from Cupar where they offered to check the Strathmiglo and Auchtermuchty graveyards and I reckon they'll be busy doing this sort of thing right now with lots of visitors to Fife, so as its Saturday and they'll be finished for the week I think we'll need to go it alone to find anything by Monday morning!
I can check Falkland Cemetery on foot over the weekend if I get time; its only 15 minutes or so away.