Author Topic: Howton/Houghton  (Read 5247 times)

Offline HannahB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Howton/Houghton
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 16 December 12 09:14 GMT (UK) »
This has been a fascinating thread for me because I am interested in an American family called Howton and I am hoping this might end up being helpful at some point. In this particular family the name is consistently spelled Howton and at least some of the Houghtons pronounce their names differently, something like "Hoton".
They are in Kentucky in the late 18th century but, records in the rural areas being what they were it has been hard to go back any further. It may be impossible but it would be great. Hannah
New York/Ontario: Buchan, Cronmiller/Kronmuller
Sussex: Harman   
Chesham, Bucks: Plested, Dell, Dwight, Sedgewick, Cordery, Rance.
Alabama: Howton, Anderson, Palmer, Massey, Gwin 
Gt. Gaddesden, Herts; Cook
London/ Bristol; Bellamy, Child
Scotland; McLeod, Shannon
British Columbia: McLeod, Simpson

Offline Wade82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 16 December 12 09:39 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested to no if any of my Howtons went to usa Hannah Im just branching out into chilldren etc so I might come up with one that emmigrates if so I will let you no. :)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 16 December 12 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes thankyou very mucj Steve has helped me clarify a few things. :)

You now have all the records for the Houghtons in Weston Turville, 1783 to 1838.  So they came and they went. ;D

I would recommend, however, you have a marriage search done for John Houghton to  Ann, from BucksFHS to make sure there are no other contenders. ;)

I've checked Aylesbury & Wendover PR's as well, and there are a few Howton/Houtton's their, but earlier.  I won't post, or it might confuse, but there aren't many.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Wade82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 16 December 12 11:05 GMT (UK) »
How would I find Johns father? Im really struggling maybe this is just as far back as I can go.

Offline Wade82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 16 December 12 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Yes thankyou very mucj Steve has helped me clarify a few things. :)

You now have all the records for the Houghtons in Weston Turville, 1783 to 1838.  So they came and they went. ;D

I would recommend, however, you have a marriage search done for John Houghton to  Ann, from BucksFHS to make sure there are no other contenders. ;)

I've checked Aylesbury & Wendover PR's as well, and there are a few Howton/Houtton's their, but earlier.  I won't post, or it might confuse, but there aren't many.

Yes it would seem from my line at least which is Richard his children are born in Luton.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 16 December 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
How would I find Johns father? Im really struggling maybe this is just as far back as I can go.

If you can get the Marriage details from BucksFHS,  for the marriage in Soulbury in Bucks, there might be more detail(Familysearch only give the basics).   That's if it's the right marriage.
You cannot rely on Familysearch(IGI) completely, as it's not complete. ;D

It may give place of origin, age, fathers name, or any witnesses.  But nothing is guaranteed.   It may be worth checking if they had a child baptized there, after or even before the marriage.

Again, if the burial for John Houghton in Weston Turville is correct, at least you have an approximate year of birth for him.

Also, Soulbury is getting near to the  Bedfordshire county line.......not that I'm saying the Houghton's originated from there.  But there is the town of HOUGHTON REGIS near Dunstable, Bedfordshire.   Getting closer to Luton, isn't it. ;D

So get the Marriage details from BucksFHS, that's the first thing to do. ;)

I don't want to raise any hopes, but there is a Familysearch baptism for a John HOUGHTON, 23 Dec 1759 @ Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire.  Son of Joseph & Ann HOUGHTON.   Also another from Billington, Beds.....exactly the same details as mentioned.  So I would assume these are the same person.

Soulbury is about 2-3 miles from Leighton Buzzard.

Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline HannahB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 17 December 12 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested to no if any of my Howtons went to usa Hannah Im just branching out into chilldren etc so I might come up with one that emmigrates if so I will let you no. :)
Thanks Wade, that would be great.  Hannah :D
New York/Ontario: Buchan, Cronmiller/Kronmuller
Sussex: Harman   
Chesham, Bucks: Plested, Dell, Dwight, Sedgewick, Cordery, Rance.
Alabama: Howton, Anderson, Palmer, Massey, Gwin 
Gt. Gaddesden, Herts; Cook
London/ Bristol; Bellamy, Child
Scotland; McLeod, Shannon
British Columbia: McLeod, Simpson