Author Topic: Coming to Ireland and would like to see the Church where my family attended  (Read 7260 times)

Offline KatKinn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi I have two problems I would like to clear up. I have cousins who went to Ireland and had reach done about our family . Most of it is correct but I don't believe the information I was given on my Great Grand Mother was correct. Her name was Ellen Stones She married Martin Kavanagh and had eleven children. They all went to Daingean Catholic Church,Offaly Ireland, Martin and Ellen were married there. I have found baptismal certificates and a marriage certificate. the problem is I found that Ellen's Father was Edward Stones and Mother was Mary Smyth, My family has Laurence Stones and Ann Kelly for her parents. I think that whom ever gave them the information wrote down the wrong generation.
the other problem is that I would like to visit the Church and Graves of my Family.While doing the research I found Martins Father and Mother Nicholas and Mary McLeroy. On His gravestone It tells of his wife ,her death ,and their sons.Graveyard  was Cappincur plot 11 in Daingean..was wondering if the chruch is still there and how to get there .

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Coming to Ireland and would like to see the Church where my family attended
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 March 13 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Can you give us an idea of dates?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 March 13 00:04 GMT (UK) »
The church records were mentioned a few years ago-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=188803.0

Looks like an old topic of yours from 2009 on another forum- Martin Kavanagh
So, Martin & Ellen married 1859 before the start of registration for Catholic marriages.

Contact details here on church website-
http://www.kandle.ie/parishes/daingean/

Offline KatKinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 13 00:41 GMT (UK) »
sorry had to go feed my grumpy husband, Yes I have been looking things up for quite some time. My Mom died in 2000 from cancer. Didn't have the heart to bother her with questions. Saw on her birth Certificate that her Father Edward Cavanaugh B. 1877  in Kings county Ireland .His father was Martin Kavanagh Birth 28 Nov 1830 and his mother was Ellen Stones.28 Jun 1840,Martins father was Nicholas Kavanagh B. 1787 and his Mother was Mary McLeroy B.1789 they all were from Tullamore.

Offline KatKinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 March 13 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Do you want the dates of Martin and his wife and children

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 March 13 00:46 GMT (UK) »
No. needed dates to see what sort of time frame you are researching. Think you've listed all the family in other topic.

Offline KatKinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 March 13 01:02 GMT (UK) »
I have two more people I can't find information for.  John Bowe and Ellen Mahanoy. John Bowe  I think was born in 1810 in County Kilkenny,Ireland . Ellen Mahanoy was Born 1827 in County Cork,Ireland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 March 13 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Those dates are well before the start of civil registration which means you need to see if any church records survive.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 March 13 10:45 GMT (UK) »
....Her name was Ellen Stones She married Martin Kavanagh and had eleven children. They all went to Daingean Catholic Church,Offaly Ireland, Martin and Ellen were married there. I have found baptismal certificates and a marriage certificate.
....was wondering if the chruch is still there and how to get there .

So, Martin & Ellen married 1859 before the start of registration for Catholic marriages.

Back in 1850s the RC parish church in Daingean seems to be at the same location as the present parish church, but doesn't look to be the same building - the orientation and shape are different. In the 1890s the church is shown as 'St. Philip Neri's RC Church'. Earlier maps show it as 'R.C. Chapel'

see :  Daingean RC Church (OSI Map)

There is an unnamed graveyard shown on the map across the road from the church and just to the west, which appears to be adjacent to a former Church of Ireland church.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests