Author Topic: David Jenkins  (Read 4326 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: David Jenkins
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 October 15 12:46 BST (UK) »
The couple featured on the passenger list and border crossing lived at 3688 Bosworth Road, Cleveland Ward 2, Cuyahoga, Ohio in 1920

David H Jenkins  49 Born 1871 England. Manager of Newspaper. Imm 1890.
Lucy A Jenkins  49
Edith M Jenkins  19  Ruth E Jenkins  16
Edward D Jenkins  15  Lucy J Jenkins  13
Bowen D Jenkins  11 Lucy M Cross  86
Leurs Jenkins  63

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 October 15 14:31 BST (UK) »
A cousin has recently died. Amongst her possessions was a letter in  poor welsh language. From David in Toronto, dated 1938. He was poorly and in hospital.

He did go to Canada then. No further information as to what he was doing there or when he travelled.

Any chance that there is a return address on the top of the letter.... or perhaps an envelope with a Toronto address on it?  If you have an actual address, you can request a look up in the Toronto City directories for him.  The directories often list profession and maybe place of work, as well as home address.  This could help sort him out from other men with the same name.  Then, going forward, you can ask for look up for a few other years to see if he is still in Toronto.  I think the Toronto Public Library will look up 3 or so years for you..... you can ask and see :) :)

Toronto Public Library
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/contact/

RK

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 October 15 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looks like David had a number of siblings.  Have you tracked down all of their obituaries to see if a brother David in listed.... perhaps with a location/country of residence?   

How about the other brother who went to Canada?   You said he died young... do you know where and when?   

RK   

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 October 15 15:42 BST (UK) »
Is this David with parents John and Eleanor on the 1871 Census Llansawell Ganol Carmarthenshire ?

John Jenkins  36 Born Llanwenog, Cardiganshire, Wales. Inn-Keeper.
Eleanor Jenkins  32 Born Pencarreg, Carmarthenshire, Wales
Mary Jenkins  10  Eleanor Jenkins  7
Anne Jenkins  5  Lellicia Jenkins  3
David Jenkins  1 Month Born Llansawell, Carmarthenshire, Wales
Sarah Jones  23 Servant.

The Welsh 1871 Census was taken on the night of 2 April 1871 which should make the birth of David more March 1871  ???  Have you got the birth certificate for David (just to clarify) ?

RG10 Piece 5482 Folio 15 Page 9

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 October 15 16:59 BST (UK) »

The family you have listed is david's.

His parents were running the Cart and horses inn in rhydcymerau, llanderilofawr.

The 3 year old was Leticia by the way.

No I do not have David's birth certificate.

The family just handed me a bit of paper photocopied from information supplied many years ago by my uncle.

My mamgu was one of the children Sarah Jenkins.  She was away from home that night. Probably working..

Will look up name and d o b of brother who died young in Canada.

I agree its unlikely that my David Jenkins was the one suggested earlier today.

Disappointing.

I have contacted the owner of the letter and left a message asking for the address and actual date of missive sent to his niece. My aunt.

I don't remember a wife or children being mentioned.

Sandra...aka yasminas 4

Thank you.

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 October 15 17:17 BST (UK) »
A cousin has recently died. Amongst her possessions was a letter in  poor welsh language. From David in Toronto, dated 1938. He was poorly and in hospital.

He did go to Canada then. No further information as to what he was doing there or when he travelled.

Any chance that there is a return address on the top of the letter.... or perhaps an envelope with a Toronto address on it?  If you have an actual address, you can request a look up in the Toronto City directories for him.  The directories often list profession and maybe place of work, as well as home address.  This could help sort him out from other men with the same name.  Then, going forward, you can ask for look up for a few other years to see if he is still in Toronto.  I think the Toronto Public Library will look up 3 or so years for you..... you can ask and see :) :)

Toronto Public Library
https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/contact/

RK

Could not contact owner of the letter just now so having left a message and Beijing impatient phoned the the member of the family who is best able to translate.
As luck would have it the  owner of the letter has sent her a copy.

She could not get to PC whern I spoke to her.

She has read the letter thru several times and has a fair idea what David said. She confirms that it has a date and name of hospital he is writing from. But  she also says there is more information including dates within the letter.

She will phone me when she has had a chance to  open the file and check. Probably today.

I will post whatever information I receive.

According to his date of birth being 1871 it is likely he joined up for the 1914/18 war.  Can we trace him there.

Something took him from being a humble railway porter to a pub proprietor and a grocer in UK.

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 12 October 15 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looks like David had a number of siblings.  Have you tracked down all of their obituaries to see if a brother David in listed.... perhaps with a location/country of residence?   

How about the other brother who went to Canada?   You said he died young... do you know where and when?   

RK   

Oh dear, never thought to do that.

Offline Yasmina4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 12 October 15 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

RK   

No one knew much about brother John. Just "oh he went to Canada and died young".

Oh dear, never thought to do that.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 12 October 15 18:13 BST (UK) »
The brother who went to Canada - is that James born 1875  ??? or  John Ivor Jenkins born 1877  ???  Can see a probate entry for a John Ivor Jenkins 16 April 196 Carmarthen, could that be be your John  ???

Family in 1881 - Cart and Horses - Llandilofawr Carmarthanshire.

John Jenkins  46 Eleanor Jenkins  43
Lettitia Jenkins  14 Sarah Jenkins  8
James Jenkins  6 John Ivor Jenkins  4

Sandra