Author Topic: Egan  (Read 23385 times)

Offline velcro

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Egan
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 19 October 13 04:27 BST (UK) »
I have Mary Leahy dtr of Thomas 1820 - and Catherine "Kate" Leahy nee Connell b.abt 1837 Cork IRE d.23 Dec 1904 Northamtonshire MA USA m. 1.Edward French 15 April 1863 Holy Trinity Ch. York Western Australia. Edward French 1799 - 1852  son of William and Mary Ann French nee Holgate/Hoggitt 1804 -

Edward French b. 24 Aug 1825 Messing Essex ENG
died 8 Jul 1875 Fremantle WA Asylum. Due to suffering a stroke and died there. (Being a transported convict - they suffered from Strokes and heart disease due to type of diet in the prisons and hulks)

I have more info on Edward if interested.apparently Mary was a Needle woman came to Australia arriving per "Mary Harrison" aged 25yrs on the 24 Jun 1862. 254 passengers onboard.Apparently stories are that Patrick Egan 2nd husband from Tipperary IRE and he adopted her two sons fron Edward French John Joseph and William Thomas French.When Mary and Patrick took Patrick junr. apparently had eye problems that was the reason given to go to USA the two sons were placed in an orphanage. They apparently corresponded with their mother and as time went the letters ceased abt  the time of the Great Fires and Earthquake 1904 San Fransisco. This was a simice of a family member here. 2nd Marriage she was a servant and residence was Mt hardy Western Aus.

cheers
Velcro

Offline velcro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Patrick James Egan m. Mary (Cecilia) French nee Leahy 14 May 1876 Perth WA.
Velcro (typo)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Patrick James Egan m. Mary (Cecilia) French nee Leahy 14 May 1876 Perth WA.
Velcro (typo)

And the Rev'd was
married according to the rites of
and the witnesses were

And the Western Australia's BDM reference no. is

ADD

Velcro would you please look back through your threads across several boards as you may be including details that are not on that WA BDM cert.  You may need to check quite a few threads.

Cheers JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 17 December 13 23:12 GMT (UK) »
I may well be duplicating information, if so, I apologise.

May I mention that the 1877 Western Australia birth would seem to be indexed as:

Patrick Joseph EAGAN, son of Patrick EAGAN and Mary LEIGHEY.  Registered in the Perth District, Ref # 17979.

http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/_apps/pioneersindex/default.aspx

What information would you expect to find recorded on an 1877 WA birth cert?
Well, RChat helps out with that question too :

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=399.0 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369921.0

Details on ALL Certificates for Western Australia
http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

So the 1877 WA birth cert should give you that baby’s:
Given name/s
Date born
Place born (likely the home address for his parents)
Father’s name (SURNAME as well as given name/s)
Father’s then occupation
Mother’s former and nee SURNAMES as well as given name/s

So Velcro, does that 1877 birth cert have Patrick Joseph's
father's SURNAME as Eagan or as Egan
father's given name/s as Patrick James OR just as Patrick
mother's surname as Leighey or as French nee Leahy
mother's given name/s as Mary (Cecilia) or just as Mary

ADD

OH

There's a newer thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=671143.0

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Patrick LEAHEY and his wife Mary C LEAHEY and their sons:  John E; Leo D; James P; Gregory M; and sister (to the head of the household) Annie A and the head of the household's Father in law : Patrick EAGAN (noting the spelling of his surname) 

Patrick EAGAN was widower, born March 1840 in Ireland, and arrived in the USA in 1856.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MS25-KW6

Cheers,  JM

Offline velcro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Irish and their names : Must of been a few families with same names from IRE. My Patrick James Egan (in USA  Egan families have both Egan & Eagan as their surnames)  parents Richard & Helen Egan nee Feaney. Patrick James Egan  b. abt 1839 Tipperary IRE m. Mary Leahy (? varied spelling) 14 May 1876 R/C Ch. Perth Western Australia.Patrick & Mary had 1 son Patrick "Joseph" Egan goes by the name Joseph Egan
Patrick James Egan died 2 Apr 1903 Northampton Hampshire tMA USA buried St Mary Cem. Hampshire County MA USA. Mary Egan nee French nee Leahy b. abt. 1837 Cork IRE parents Thomas & Catherine Leahy nee Connell. Thomas b. abt. 1810 IRE married abt. 1836/37. IRE. Mary Egan died 23 Dec 1904 Northampton Hampshire MA USA buried also St Mary Cem Hampshire County MA USA. Look up findagrave to view their headstones. "Joseph" Egan b. 19 Mar 1877 Perth Western Australia m. Jennie M Fahey 1901 (Hampshire  County MA?) USA. She was born abt. 1877 Clonmel Waterford IRE died 1852 Northampton MA USA also buried in St Mary Cem. Hampshire County MA USA. They had 8 children. Some still living. Jennie Egan parents Patrick & Nancy Fahey/Lawlor nee Madden. 1900 US Census has the immigration year as 1879 but 1930 Us Census has the family immigrating to the US from WA 1892.

Mary Egan was married to Edward French after she arrived per Mary Harrison 24 Jun 1862 to Fremantle WA  from Plymouth and IRE. She found work in York WA where she met Edward French a Ticket of Leave man from Messing Essex ENG.per the Sea Park. Married where Edward French was working for Robert Hardey of Mt Hardey 15 Apr 1863 Holy Trinity Ch. York WA Edward died 8 Jul 1875 Fremantle Asylum WA  due to complications of a Stroke.He was buried in the Old Skinner St Cem Fremantle WA ."The Skinner Street cemetery is now the location of the Oval belonging to the John Curtin College of the Arts where it is estimated 200 bodies still remain.[2] Over 40,000 burials have taken place at this cemetery." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremantle_Cemetery Edward & Mary French had 2 sons : John Joseph French & William Thomas French. When Edward died apparently Patrick Egan adopted the 2 French boys and John Joseph French aka Egan. No record of this researched yet. Patrick & Mary and son Joseph Egan left WA ? via Albany for a medical condition of Joseph's eyes and left John & William In WA. The French boys never saw their mother, step father, step brother again though family stories say there was letters of communication till the year of Patrick & Mary's deaths. Naturally!

Velcro

Cheers
Velcro

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 19 December 13 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Excuse me please Velcro, but I am a tad concerned, as it seems to me that you are repeating your oral history story over and over, rather than actually looking outside the story.   

I have looked up the WA BDM online index.  I have posted the details as per THEIR SPELLING for your 1877 born chap, and I have asked you questions about that birth cert and the spellings on that cert.  I have assumed you have had that birth cert for years. 

Please do type up all the info on the certificate, with the spelling used on the certificate, rather than type up the oral history story that you have decided is linked to the people mentioned on that cert.

May I gently remind you that Marcia and Bill who have posted on this thread have mentioned your oral history story and that there's some differences ....

.... Mary French Leahy Egan, my maternal great grand mother.
My mother spoke of her father having  half siblings (two brothers) who remained in WA. However, the version of the story as I recall it was that the two half siblings were the children of Patrick Egan  and his first wife, who died.

He married Mary Leahy and their only child was Joseph. Given the age difference between Patrick and Mary, perhaps this was a 2nd marriage for both of them.

My mother described that  the  two brothers that remained in AU went off to work in the gold fields. 

So Bills's great grand mother was Mary French Leahy EGAN.
So Bill's story about the half siblings who remained in Australia was that they were children of Patrick EGAN and his first wife who died.   These two brothers stayed in Australia and went to work in the gold fields.   

Cheers,  JM 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 19 December 13 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Velcro,

John Joseph FRENCH, when HE married Mary Dorothy PETERSON, in 1888, (in Western Australia) what information did HE provide to the clergyman about his age, his place of birth, his parentage (it may not be recorded on the summary for the civil registration for that marriage as held by WA BDM Registrar General's Office but it ought to be on the Church register).   Afterall, if that John Joseph FRENCH was NOT YET 21 years of age when he was marrying Mary Dorothy Peterson, he would have needed the consent of a parent to enter into marriage.  Which parent was available (his deceased father was obviously NOT, but there's his adopted father, and there's his mother .... apart from my concerns about 'adopted' which is likely your shorthand for 'informal fostering' ....)  where were Mr and Mrs Patrick James EGAN (and therefore their son Patrick Joseph).... that 1888 WA marriage cert info may well help your quest.   

By the way, I am assuming the Lilly French EAGAN baby who succumbed at 10 months in WA in 1893 was that John Joseph FRENCH’s daughter. That seems to be Guildford, WA, and so not any where near any Gold Fields.   

ADD and where was her Mum? as Lilly's death registration shows "unknown" mother.  Was this wee lass in an orphanage in Western Australia perhaps? and letters were sent to California and to New Hampshire regarding a child in an orphanage.

John Joseph FRENCH and Patrick Joseph EGAN were half brothers....  and have same middle name

Cheers,  JM 

ADD:  30 Dec 1867 seems to be likely birthdate for John Joseph FRENCH https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTZR-97N 
(so he turned 21 on 30 Dec 1888)

further ADD
This William FRENCH was described on the census as born August 1871 in Australia and was in San Francisco with a wife in 1900, so ...................    have they been eliminated from the EGAN search, afterall, he migrated to the US in 1893 .... was there any Gold Fields in California in 1893 ?  Who was writing to this chap from Western Australia? or who in Western Australia was receiving letters from him?  Or was he writing to Northampton New Hampshire and they were writing back to him in California?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M95C-WTG 

Irish and their names : Must of been a few families with same names from IRE. My Patrick James Egan (in USA  Egan families have both Egan & Eagan as their surnames)  parents Richard & Helen Egan nee Feaney. Patrick James Egan  b. abt 1839 Tipperary IRE m. Mary Leahy (? varied spelling) 14 May 1876 R/C Ch. Perth Western Australia.Patrick & Mary had 1 son Patrick "Joseph" Egan goes by the name Joseph Egan
Patrick James Egan died 2 Apr 1903 Northampton Hampshire tMA USA buried St Mary Cem. Hampshire County MA USA. Mary Egan nee French nee Leahy b. abt. 1837 Cork IRE parents Thomas & Catherine Leahy nee Connell. Thomas b. abt. 1810 IRE married abt. 1836/37. IRE. Mary Egan died 23 Dec 1904 Northampton Hampshire MA USA buried also St Mary Cem Hampshire County MA USA. Look up findagrave to view their headstones. "Joseph" Egan b. 19 Mar 1877 Perth Western Australia m. Jennie M Fahey 1901 (Hampshire  County MA?) USA. She was born abt. 1877 Clonmel Waterford IRE died 1852 Northampton MA USA also buried in St Mary Cem. Hampshire County MA USA. They had 8 children. Some still living. Jennie Egan parents Patrick & Nancy Fahey/Lawlor nee Madden. 1900 US Census has the immigration year as 1879 but 1930 Us Census has the family immigrating to the US from WA 1892.

Mary Egan was married to Edward French after she arrived per Mary Harrison 24 Jun 1862 to Fremantle WA  from Plymouth and IRE.

She found work in York WA where she met Edward French a Ticket of Leave man from Messing Essex ENG.per the Sea Park.

Married where Edward French was working for Robert Hardey of Mt Hardey 15 Apr 1863 Holy Trinity Ch. York WA Edward died 8 Jul 1875 Fremantle Asylum WA  due to complications of a Stroke.He was buried in the Old Skinner St Cem Fremantle WA ."The Skinner Street cemetery is now the location of the Oval belonging to the John Curtin College of the Arts where it is estimated 200 bodies still remain.[2] Over 40,000 burials have taken place at this cemetery." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremantle_Cemetery

Edward & Mary French had 2 sons : John Joseph French & William Thomas French.

When Edward died apparently Patrick Egan adopted the 2 French boys and John Joseph French aka Egan. No record of this researched yet.

Patrick & Mary and son Joseph Egan left WA ? via Albany for a medical condition of Joseph's eyes and left John & William In WA. The French boys never saw their mother, step father, step brother again though family stories say there was letters of communication till the year of Patrick & Mary's deaths. Naturally!

Velcro

Cheers
Velcro

Offline velcro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 19 December 13 03:12 GMT (UK) »
 :)
Merry Christmas to all and all the best for 2104 there after!
Velcro