Author Topic: Births in Enniscorthy Workhouse  (Read 5303 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Births in Enniscorthy Workhouse
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 00:39 BST (UK) »
If someone was born in the Enniscorthy Workhouse in 1892,  which would be the nearest catholic Church for them to be baptised in?

The Workhouse itself.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Mandypea. Just seen you message. Hope this is useful to you. I contacted the Wexford records office of freedom of information they checked to see if my relative was born at County Home (Workhouse Enniscorthy) They requested local records office do a search the birth had been registered by the person at W.H I was given a refence number and applied for the birth certificate.
the other relative was not registered and so the person at wexford (as above) sent me a photocopy
of the entry in the W.H book.
Full address HSE South, Freedom of Information Office, Wexford Local Health Office, Larkin Wing, Wexford General Hospital.

I fail to understand this. Birth registrations are public records. You can go to the local registration office and get a certified copy of any birth. FOI request is unnecessary.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 May 19 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Wexflyer.
A few years ago there was an excellent website called Hidden Wexford Geneaology by Rachael Darlington who had carried out a lot of research on Wexford Workhouse and also had the Workhouse Baptism Register Online.

She also did another website called Kilmore Geneaology which had links to the one above.

I was looking for it recently and I see it has disappeared which is a pity.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 May 19 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Wexflyer.
A few years ago there was an excellent website called Hidden Wexford Geneaology by Rachael Darlington who had carried out a lot of research on Wexford Workhouse and also had the Workhouse Baptism Register Online.

She also did another website called Kilmore Geneaology which had links to the one above.

I was looking for it recently and I see it has disappeared which is a pity.

She took the site down many years ago - a question of expense?

However, you can still see the material that was on those sites, on the "wayback" site (if that still exists itself, that is!). The wayback site is invaluable for seeing older versions of current sites, or the former content of expired sites.

Offline Murrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 August 19 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Wexflyer
The reason l contacted Wexford records was that the child has been born at Enniscorthy Work house or St John's County home depending on what period of time your looking-  from what l have been told.
Now the child's mother name did not match what l had and knew to be correct. So rather than accept or reject l needed to confirm one way or the other.
Now regarding the other child no birth certificate exist regardless of folks saying ' all births are registered ' well l can say without a doubt they are not all recorded. The Wexford Archives very kindly sent a photo copy of the child's dob from Enniscorthy Work House records- the child has been born in the community and the mother had presented herself and baby at the workhouse. The child died without ever having a birth certificate. I hope that clears up any miss understanding l may have caused.
Power Ward Rooney  Southern Ireland