Author Topic: Where are birth records for the parish of Whitburn (1815/1816) now held?  (Read 7146 times)

Offline Cauther Lassie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where are birth records for the parish of Whitburn (1815/1816) now held?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 April 13 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,

There's one Grizzel (Grace) born in Whitburn in 1814 - Grizzel Gillon born 3/7/1814 to James Gillon & Elizabeth Arthur.  If they belonged to a "dissenting" church, then there birth records wouldn't be shown.   SP has the established Church of Scotland and the Catholic Registers.

You don't give a surname, have to tried searching the OPR marriage records for them?

cheers .... Meg
Graham, Dundas, Tweedie, Somerville, Robb, Watson, Gillespie, Main, Stenhouse, Gilmour, Sneddon, McPheat, all Cauther Families.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 April 13 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian,
Just wondering?
When I did the search,I searched all of Scotland for  a Joseph Dick with a spouse called Grace only.
Resulted in one match
I stupidly chose the wrong area, which returned no matches.
Realising my error, I changed it to Midlothian and the match re appeared.
 I honestly cannot remember what spelling of Gullan/Gullen I used, before setting the parameters for the date.

Offline jevanji

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 April 13 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Cauther Lassie

That looks a really good match except Grace's DOB is out by a few years. Would this have been common? Also her marriage record shows her father to be 'John Gullan' so back in the day would it have been likely that he changed both his forename and surname? Since I don't know Scottish history I honestly have no idea. Mind you the 1851 census does have her stating she was born in Whitburn, Scotland in 1816 and this is the nearest I've got to her so far.

As for her surname I didn't know it until a few threads ago when annep5892 found it. I'd have found it last night but I searched using the wrong gender!! Ooops!!

Do you mind telling me how you found this record as I tried so many variants and I still couldn't find it - I've used both the OPR and catholic records but found nothing even close.

I really appreciate the help from everybody!

Thanks - Jill  :D

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 21:26 BST (UK) »
That looks a really good match except Grace's DOB is out by a few years.

Grace was shown in the 1851 census as aged 36, and in 1861 as aged 46. That tallies exactly with a birth in 1814/5. Griz(z)el and Grace, for reasons I have never quite understood (they have completely different origins), are treated as interchangeable names in Scotland. I wouldn't worry about spelling variants - any version of G*ll*n could occur. So I think that this Grizzel Gillon looks like a pretty good match for Grace Gullan or Gullen. (The village of Gullane in East Lothian is pronounced Gillon.)

Bear in mind that ages in the 1841 census are supposed to be rounded down to the nearest five years. So if Grace was born in 1814 she could have been 26 or 27, but she would have been listed as 25. If you then subtract 25 from 1841 you get the wrong answer anyway, because the census was taken half-way through the year, so half of the population had not yet had their birthdays in 1841, and consequently show up as born a year later than the actually were born if you 'calculate' their DoB from their age in the census.

Ages in 1851 were supposed to be exact. So if there is a disparity between the age in the 1851 or later census and the age on a death certificate, I tend to think that someone who is alive is more likely to know their own date of birth than someone who is registering the death.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 21:55 BST (UK) »

......(The village of Gullane in East Lothian is pronounced Gillon.).....

Hi Forfarian,

I had to laugh at this wee gem, I was brought up about 6 miles from Gullane, pronounced like the gull in Seagull, the only people who pronounced it as Gillon, lived in the very large houses next to the Golf Courses.  I have had many laughs over the years on this.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 22:12 BST (UK) »
Ah, well, I got thoroughly laughed at many years ago for pronouncing it as in seagull. I don't remember where the folk lived who laughed at me.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 22:12 BST (UK) »

......(The village of Gullane in East Lothian is sometimes pronounced Gillon.).....

Hi Forfarian,

I had to laugh at this wee gem, I was brought up about 6 miles from Gullane, pronounced like the gull in Seagull, the only people who pronounced it as Gillon, lived in the very large houses next to the Golf Courses.  I have had many laughs over the years on this.

Tom

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 22:12 BST (UK) »

......(The village of Gullane in East Lothian is sometimes pronounced Gillon.).....

Hi Forfarian,

Tom

Offline jevanji

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 22:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Forfarian. Her actual birth / baptism certificate shows she was born 4th August 1813, and as you say depending on when in the year the census was done her age may well appear to be out just a little. Perhaps she was just being a little economical with her age for reasons best known to herself!

Thanks for all the info though ... it's been really helpful.

Jill