Author Topic: Armaments Factory 1943  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Armaments Factory 1943
« on: Friday 24 May 13 16:36 BST (UK) »
A member of my family, previously resident all her life in Portsmouth, was found to be working in an armaments factory in Newcastle in 1943. We are keen to find out if she moved voluntarily, or whether she was directed there. Does anyone know if women were directed to jobs in the Newcastle area at that time?
Hodson, Dearden, Croft, Redman, Mather (all in Lancs), Davies (Salop) Murphy, Daly, Worton (Ireland)

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Armaments Factory 1943
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 May 13 20:06 BST (UK) »
Elaine168, I have just seen your query, but do not know the details of all armaments factories  in the Newcastle area during WW II.  One of the main ones was - Vickers-Armstrong, which was on the Scotswood Road, Newcastle, and stretched for 4.5 miles along the Tyne. Look for the Elswick Works re them.  Vickers made guns etc. and also parts for other 'things' connected with the war, ie ships equipment and parts.  I have spoken to a friend who worked at Elswick, as an apprentice in 1943.  He says that there were thousands of women employed at V/A during the war years, - eg. machinists; crane drivers; slingers - they loaded the ropes around heavy equipment before it was lifted by the crane drivers.; etc.etc.
My friend worked in the No.9 Shop where torpedo tubes were manufactured, and as a young 16 yr old he was able to slide inside the tubes to finish off the burnishing or whatever.
One site which may be of very useful information is the following :
   www.ne-diary.bpears.org.uk/Intro.html
I came across it be accident last year and it is a day to day, and hourly account of bombings and  happenings in the NE during the war.
Best of luck in your searching.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 May 13 18:43 BST (UK) »
Can anyone else help re Elaine168's query concerning armaments factories in the Newcastle area during WW II ?  Surely someone has a bit more information than what I have provided.  Apart from Vickers-Armstrong, there was also a factory at Birtley where tanks were made.

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 May 13 19:38 BST (UK) »
mhttp://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im1898EnV85-p424.jpganged to find a few photos of vickers may be of some interest             
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 May 13 19:49 BST (UK) »
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 May 13 19:54 BST (UK) »
http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Armstrong_Whitworth     here is that link again as first 1 did not copy regards david.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 May 13 20:56 BST (UK) »
davidpaul, Two brilliant links.  I have had a brief look at them, and must set aside some time to go into them thoroughly.
I hope they are use to the original poster in this thread.

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 May 13 21:09 BST (UK) »
great glad they may be of help but defo think its the factory in blrtley as  not sure if vickers did armaments in the second war regards david.

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 May 13 17:55 BST (UK) »
Apologies for my delay in replying. Thanks to you both for your postings. They are really helpful.

Elaine
Hodson, Dearden, Croft, Redman, Mather (all in Lancs), Davies (Salop) Murphy, Daly, Worton (Ireland)