Author Topic: Can Rootschat members help? - Lost Teddy Bear 'Seeks' Owner  (Read 123313 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can Rootschat members help? - Lost Teddy Bear 'Seeks' Owner
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 18:48 BST (UK) »
Just recapping here;
Nicholas James Baker died 15/8/1918 at Baghdad.  Married Florence Edith Baker Q2 1908, Pontypridd.  This ties in with the probate calendar entry.
Children;
Kenneth George Q1 1910 Abergavenny Died 1913.
Dora E Q2 1914 Abergavenny
Nicholas Glyn Q4 1916 Abergavenny

The ages of the two children in the photo seem to fit with this family, 4 for the little girl & about 2 for, what now might be a boy...Nicholas Glyn.  Probably called him Glyn to differentiate between father & son.
In this context the writing on the postcard makes a little more sense, 'With dearest love & kisses to our darling Daddie from your loving daughter & Sonnie.  Signed Dora & Glyn'.
Dora being the 4 year old daughter & Sonnie the bear????

Speculation I know  :)

Jane

and there is a likely son for Nicholas, so what do we do from here  :)
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 18:53 BST (UK) »
"DORA the Explorer" ~ Dora has lost her TEDDY BEAR Osito, and the search is on to find him!"

It's just a bit too coincidental, I think.  So, is the airport part of the scam or has it been taken advantage of?

Agree with you, Erato  :)

I've been keeping my distance on this one. I don't think the Teddys are the same and I wonder why it's only now that they've raised it - a year later!

Gadget the sceptic

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 18:57 BST (UK) »
I don't think it is a PR stunt, or even a coincidence. They could be raising it now just because they saw the theatre show advertised and it reminded them about their lost bear and photo

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 19:01 BST (UK) »
Could it be daughter and sonnie (pet form of son) Dora and Glyn with no name for teddy?

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 19:06 BST (UK) »
I don't think it is a PR stunt, or even a coincidence. They could be raising it now just because they saw the theatre show advertised and it reminded them about their lost bear and phot

Milly

Milly, for a media person you  are a bit too believing  ;D

I think it's more likely to be a PR stunt than anything else  :-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Sprutorch9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Elizabeth, Sarah, & Catherine Dunwoody
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 19:07 BST (UK) »
Do you folks have Dora the Explorer in the UK? It is a well-known animated TV series here in the US.
Also the Teddy's name listed for the show in Bristol is Osito, which seems to be the name of an animated teddy bear in Japan.
One of the North American tours for the Dora the Explorer show was called 'The City of Lost Toys'. :o

(My last post on this since it wastes space for real research if event of lost bear is true.)
DUNWOODY: Antrim/Down Ireland; New Jersey/Ohio, USA.
WINDREM: Antrim/Down Ireland; New Jersey, USA.
MCGRILLAN: Antrim/Down Ireland
MCCARTHY: Antrim/Down Ireland

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 19:21 BST (UK) »

Just come across this thread and I've a couple of innocent questions:

1. The circumstances surrounding this bear being found - no-one seems to have questioned this, I know that if it was a bear of that vintage in my family, my leaving it accidentally in an airport would only have ensued from my sudden death, nothing short of that - for someone not to have claimed it in hours is odd.

2.  The state of the fur - nothing short of remarkable, ignore the dramatic cross-stitched belly, the pads on arms and feet, and the one eye (a la pudsey bear, always guaranteed to elicit sympathy), the fur seems otherwise... luxuriant - my favourite childhood teddy had the fur worn / licked bare of his pelt.

I hope this is genuine. But only asking.   

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 19:25 BST (UK) »
That bear and photo get around a bit.  The bear is on "Lost Bears" on facebook and the story is also in a few newspapers.

I've had a look on the Bristol Airport web page and found there are destinations to more places than I imagined.

My initial thoughts were that somebody was migrating or taking the family heirlooms to a younger family member who had already migrated.    I presumed to Australia, but that country isn't served by Bristol Airport.  I've had a look in the Spanish, Austrian and German telephone white pages thinking a surname like "Baker" would stick out like a sore thumb - unfortunately there's scores of "sore thumbs"  :-\
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
I spent quite a lot of time in Bristol airport departure lounge  (Bristol to Inverness and back) when M in Law was  ill 6-7 years ago. I really don't understand how the bag/bear wasn't found/made public sooner. It's not all that big  :-X