Author Topic: Can Rootschat members help? - Lost Teddy Bear 'Seeks' Owner  (Read 123322 times)

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can Rootschat members help? - Lost Teddy Bear 'Seeks' Owner
« Reply #441 on: Friday 14 June 13 11:02 BST (UK) »
At first I too thought the 2 teddies were not the same. Then last week I looked at my granddaughter's teddy given to her new at birth, it goes with her everywhere, it's been dropped, sucked on, played with constantly, she can't bear (oops sorry) to be apart from him - and she's only 18 months old. Her official birth photo includes him so we can easily compare. His ears have virtually disappeared and his fur is quite flat now. Of course he's been washed so that makes a difference, but now I can actually see how the Bristol bear could be the one in the photo.

King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: Friday 14 June 13 11:39 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for a Florence E Baker to Charles H. Hayward in Bristol in 1929 on Freebmd Vol 6a page 37
Maybe just coincidence....but she could have remarried.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: Friday 14 June 13 12:44 BST (UK) »
Reluctant as I am to put another penny in the merry-go-round and extend the pages further  ;)

My thoughts haven't really changed from the start, including the possibility of bear being a shadow of it's former self.

Comparing photos together as they've lately been put up, I have to say general proportion is so similar, not taking into account features that may have been replaced and repositioned.  Ears could have become detached and reattached, pads have been replaced by sturdy scraps of fabric and not very asthetically but perhaps sympathetically to cover worn areas also eyes often replaced by shanked buttons and can be easily lost. He seems to have lost a bit of stuffing or knocked out of him and fur is a bit different looking  :-\ could be affected by body oils and flattened pile facing different way like bed hair  :D or bear'd hair  ::)

We bought a large heavy bear in France in 1965 which has been played with by our three children and two grandsons.  I was forever sewing it's ears back on, especially the left ear, and I must admit I took the easy option and didn't replace them exactly but sewed them back on in a straight line.    I had a big clear out in recent years and I'm afraid he went in the skip minus one ear which I presumed one of our dogs took a liking to.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: Friday 14 June 13 14:30 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for a Florence E Baker to Charles H. Hayward in Bristol in 1929 on Freebmd Vol 6a page 37
Maybe just coincidence....but she could have remarried.

Carol

Hi Carol,

Aren't we looking for the marriage/remarriage of Doris E Baker? 

Oh, her mother Florence E......good thinking, that could well be her. Think there's more to be done with expanding the tree outwards as they certainly seem to stay near Bristol /Newport / Abergavenny / Pontypool area. ......

except for Doris who seems to have vanished into thin air.....

probably on a plane from Bristol Airport 14 months ago   ;D
Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: Monday 17 June 13 10:32 BST (UK) »

Hi all,
Just catching up with all the pages I have missed out on reading for quite a few days and Carol's post kind of made me think. If Doris's mother did get remarried to a Charles H Hayward in Bristol in 1929, could Doris have used or adopted the surname of her stepfather. Only wondering if this is the case because my grandmother was married previously and had two children with her first husband, he passed away and then my grandmother met and married my grandfather and my aunt and uncle from her first marriage adopted my grandfathers surname.

There is a marriage September quarter 1937 Doris E Hayward to a Reginald J Povey in Caerleon.

Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: Monday 17 June 13 11:23 BST (UK) »
Good point Nettie as that happens a lot.

It looks to me like a relative has been here on holiday not necessarily from abroad and been either given or given the choice to pick something from the disposables after a death whether recent or otherwise.

Still wondering why the airport think it belongs to someone in Peru? I thought any left bags would have been recorded with contents and as to the date & time it was found to narrow things down?

They could at least let the media know if they have made contact with anyone or have written to people etc. but it's a "Wall of silence" which is deafening  ;D  ::)  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: Monday 17 June 13 11:33 BST (UK) »
..Still wondering why the airport think it belongs to someone in Peru? ..

It's a joke - or a cultural reference.

Do the words "Paddington" and "bear" ring any bells?

Mike

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: Monday 17 June 13 11:39 BST (UK) »
..Still wondering why the airport think it belongs to someone in Peru? ..

It's a joke - or a cultural reference.

Do the words "Paddington" and "bear" ring any bells?

Mike

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: Monday 17 June 13 11:41 BST (UK) »

Oh, her mother Florence E......good thinking, that could well be her. Think there's more to be done with expanding the tree outwards as they certainly seem to stay near Bristol /Newport / Abergavenny / Pontypool area. ......

except for Doris who seems to have vanished into thin air.....

probably on a plane from Bristol Airport 14 months ago   ;D

Picking up what HL has said about them seeming to stay near Bristol/Newport/Abergavenny/Pontypool area there are two births of children with the surname Povey mothers surname Hayward, one in Pontypool and the other in Caerleon.

The Peru thing is a joke referencing Paddington Bear lol.
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland