Author Topic: On This Day in June........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 43006 times)

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in June........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #72 on: Monday 10 June 13 20:04 BST (UK) »
Fred Broadley was born 10 jun 1892 in Accrington. He became a roller coverer and suffered a dreadful industrial accident. I still haven't been able to find much about it and my main source of information is from the WWI pension records. Three of his brothers died in WWI (Their great-nephew stood on the Fourth Plinth to represent them) and, although Fred had only one eye, with damage to the other, he was drafted into a labour battalion. While he was away, his first and, I think, only child, died of pneumonia.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
June 11

In 1759 my 5x Great Uncle John Carter was baptised at Aylesbeare, Devon He was the first child of John Carter & Caroline Locke

In 1775 my 2nd cousin 5 times removed Eliza Serjeantson was baptised at Wakefield, Yorkshire. She was the only daughter of William Serjeantson of Hnalith & Jane Rookes Leeds

In 1846, my 2xGreat aunt Ann Bulloch was buried in Rhuddlan Flintshire. She was less than a year old. Despite the family having lived in Liverpool for nearly 10 years at this time she was taken back to her mother's home of Rhuddlan for burial in the family grave along with some previous infant deaths.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 11:04 BST (UK) »
Only distant ancestors today.

On 11 June
Ellen Gowing my 2nd cousin twice removed was baptised at Ilketshall St Andrew, Suffolk in  1871

John Woodward my 2 x g.g.uncle was baptised at St Laurence Church, Frodsham, Cheshire in 1810
and his brother
George Woodward  my 2 x g.g.uncle was also baptised at St Laurence Church, Frodsham, Cheshire, 5 years later in 1815

Margarett Milnes my 8 x g.g.aunt was baptised in Dewsbury, Yorkshire in 1615

Harry Pemberton my 1st cousin twice removed died in Eccles, Lancashire in 1916.  He was 15 years old.

Thomas Phillips Boyers  my 1st cousin 4 times removed died in Skirkbeck Quarter, Lincolnshire in 1852.  The family then had another child in March 1853 who they also named Thomas Phillips Boyers.  The 2nd Thomas lived to the age of 48, when he died of heart failure due to heart disease produced by chronic alcoholism.

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 11:25 BST (UK) »
On 11th June 1893 my great great grandfather's elder brother William McKeown arrived in Quebec, though some sources say it was the day before. He had sailed from Liverpool on the SS Mongolian. The Mongolian was a Scottish built ship, launched in Glasgow three years previously and built for the Allan Line based in Liverpool. She was 4,838 tons, 400 ft long and with a berth of 45 ft. and was torpedoed by the submarine UC 70 off Filey Bay on 21st July 1918 with a loss of 35 lives.
Wlliam made his way to Pennsylvania and wasted no time in marrying a local girl, Mary Amanda Chapman, the daughter of George and Phoebe Chapman, almost as soon as he arrived. Their first child Anna was born the following year. Two of his children, John and Matilda would be named after his parents, my 3xG grandparents.
William settled in Knox Township, Clearfield, Pennsylvania and died in 1944. He is buried in the Messiah Baptist Cemetery in Kylertown, Pennsylvania.

His brother, Robert, my GG grandfather would follow him the year after and despite a bit of coming and going between the USA and Scotland, also emigrated  and died, also in the 1940's in Indiana.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 13:42 BST (UK) »
On the 11th June 1970 Jan Pieter van de Waal was buried in Liverpool. He came to England in WWII and served in the Prinses Irene Brigade. After the war he finished his degree in architecture in Liverpool and worked for F.X. Velarde, a well-known Catholic architect, until the latter's death. He left a wife and six children.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
June 11th 1667, Edward Jackson and Margrett Waller were married in Brough under Stainmore, Westmorland. My 8 x great grandparents and that is about the end of my discoveries so far on those two lines. I know that Margrett was the daughter of Robart ( sic) Waller and that she was born in February 1637 but that is absolutely all. Of Edward Jackson's family - I know nothing!

In 1813, my 3 x great grandparents, William Smith and Margaret Forsyth were married in Nairn. I know that Margaret's mother was called Jane but have no surname for her. William is one of my worst brickwalls! Many people have tried to help me with him and his family but nothing ever quite ties up the loose ends.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 19:40 BST (UK) »
On 11 June 1893 Herbert Peppercorn, my 2nd cousin 1 x removed, was baptised at Islington St Mary.
He was the son of Augustus Peppercorn and Sarah White, who were artificial florists. Herbert and his siblings assisted in the business as they grew up.  It must have been successful as the family occupied two adjoining houses in Highgate (now I believe a French restaurant!).
Herbert died on 9 June 1966 in Dorset, leaving nearly £5000 in his will - about £72,000 today!
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Gengen,
I don't suppose there's a connection, but my 4 x great grandparents were Joseph Sewell and Esther Jackson, and they married in November 1770 in Brough under Stainmore, Westmorland.  Esther's father was William Jackson.  Of course, Jackson is a common name, but thought it was worth mentioning because of the location of both marriages.
Ann
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 22:07 BST (UK) »
Computer died this morning (using an old laptop) so all on hold at present
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com