Author Topic: "Lightbody" family in Bangor, Co.Down, Northern Ireland - any ideas about that?  (Read 28683 times)

Offline thegabriel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Lightbody" family in Bangor, Co.Down, Northern Ireland - any ideas about that?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 30 January 14 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Also, thanks for the reference to the Griffith Valuation.
I may have searched it before, but I can take another look at what I find.
I don't think John Lightbody and Nancy/Agnes McMillen are the parents of my William
John Lightbody. Furthermore, I think that perhaps their William John Lightbody born July 4th 1869 is the William Lightbody age 0, who's death is registered in Belfast 1869.

To help determine the parents of my gr-gr-grandfather William John Lightbody, I  need to see a marriage certificate to Jane Moore listing the parents of the spouses.

Offline thegabriel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: "Lightbody" family in Bangor, Co.Down, Northern Ireland - any ideas about that?
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 30 January 14 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Frank,

Thanks for the family tree information.
I do see Ethel and Isa's family on the census. So I can see who their family was
before they were married.
I am wondering who Ethel's 1st marriage was to.
Also, I was wondering the parents names of Alex and David Savage (the spouses of
Ethel and Isa)
That should tell us if both or one of them are the brothers of Andrew Savage (born
1891) also of Castle St and Castle Square on the 1901 and 1911 Census'.

Oh, and I do see how many Savages there are. Also, I was surprised how many
Vincents there are. Its a lot of untangling.
I see a lot of David Savages in the area.
One married to Robine McVeigh - one married to a Hannah... that come to mind.

Thanks for the link to the Video. That is excellent. I love that sort of thing and
especially when I have a link to that place.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 30 January 14 10:39 GMT (UK) »
When searching, the Index record lists the names (who can be witnesses or other marriages):
(Apr-May-Jun- 1920) Ireland, Civil Registration Marriages Index,1845-1958
(Newtownards)

The witnesses are NOT mentioned in the civil registration index for marriages. What you are seeing is all the brides and grooms who appear on the same page- in this case 4 couples (names below are not matched up for bride and groom)
James Walker                      Sarah Jane Barr 
Walter Erskine Scott            Ethel Morrow
Samuel Speers Telford        Isobel Keenan McDowell
Andrew Savage                   Jane McKinney

Not sure why this topic is still on Beginners and not Down board  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Frank Vincent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 30 January 14 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Frank,

Thanks for the family tree information.
I do see Ethel and Isa's family on the census. So I can see who their family was
before they were married.
I am wondering who Ethel's 1st marriage was to.
Also, I was wondering the parents names of Alex and David Savage (the spouses of
Ethel and Isa)
That should tell us if both or one of them are the brothers of Andrew Savage (born
1891) also of Castle St and Castle Square on the 1901 and 1911 Census'.

Oh, and I do see how many Savages there are. Also, I was surprised how many
Vincents there are. Its a lot of untangling.
I see a lot of David Savages in the area.
One married to Robine McVeigh - one married to a Hannah... that come to mind.

Thanks for the link to the Video. That is excellent. I love that sort of thing and
especially when I have a link to that place.

Hi,

My Grandmother, Ethel Gordon, married Robert Alexander Graham on 17/3/1922 in Pittsburgh,P.A. USA
Fortunately I have the original wedding certificate.Robert appeared to have died in 1932 in Pittsburg.
My Mother was born in the USA and Ethel returned to Ireland with my Mother.
Ethel later married Alexander Savage but seperated, I don't believe they divorced and I do remember when he died, my Grandmother Ethel was still alive at this time.
I believe I know about Ethel's second husband and who his parents were, I will supply this information later.
I believe I know when Isa married David Savage also.
My Mother's marriage was in 1943, but my Father, Francis Vincent was from Scotland, I had close ties with the Vincent family when growing up and often visited them and they came to us in Bangor.
Anyway I will clarify the Savage links over the next few days.
I do have a very interesting photograph from 1911 ( school photograph ), I have sent this to George. It shows four of the Gordon's ( my Grandmother included ) and an E Lightbody?
An old bangorian had supplied the names to the local newspaper back in 1975.
The E Lightbody ( young lady ) is puzzling both George and myself.

Frank

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 30 January 14 12:13 GMT (UK) »
It would be much easier to read your posts if you didn't quote an entire previous post (if you do need to quote something posted earlier then you can include just the relevent bit).

Offline Frank Vincent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 30 January 14 15:23 GMT (UK) »
 To : - thegabriel

Hi,  I had a quick look through the old photographs I have of family members.
Much of what I have is written by my late Brother, so this information my be inaccurate.

Savages : - I don't have the year of Isa's, ( nee Gordon ) marriage to David Savage but Isa was born in 1901 and died in 1981. It says David died in 1957, I do remember the funeral so that sounds correct. David was 59 years old according to what I have, their address was 88 Castle Street, Bangor.

Ethel Gordon ( my Grandmother )  - Graham - Savage ( second marriage )
I don't know when she married Alex Savage but I believe I know his side of the family.
I met Ethel's second husband as a young child in the 1950's.
I believe he was the Son of James H Savage a well known building contractor in Bangor.
The older Son died in action in 1917.
I have a book which shows me the family home and Ethel's second husband as a boy and my Grandmother did take me there, to the house, once or twice so I am assuming I have this right.
All a bit vague I know but hopefully you experts can now piece it together?
I know you have links to the Lightbody's but may I ask your links to the Savage's?
Who knows we may end up related in some distant way!
I do have some very old photographs, early 1900's so if there does turn out to be  a link I will be happy to scan and send these to you as I have been doing for George ( my Cousin ).
Perhaps you could provide your email address  ( through PM ) if you require these
as it's easier to just  scan and add as attachments?
I hope I have given you some more pieces of the puzzle,

Regards

Frank

Offline thegabriel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 30 January 14 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the response Frank.
I am gonna PM you.

Offline Frank Vincent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 31 January 14 10:52 GMT (UK) »
To :-  theGabriel
         George Gordon

Hi,

Thank you for your PM (theGabriel).
As requested I have sent the photograph taken in 1911, ( school photograph) to your personal email address.
George has already received this photograph from me earlier, he has discounted the photograph as being of his Mother as a young lady.
As already mentioned,  five of the Gordon's as children are shown on this photograph, my Grandmother included,  I have given their ages on my email to you.
The young lady E Lightbody has therefore not been identified as yet.
As the thread started with the Lightbody's we appear to have come round full circle.
The question for George and you, theGabriel, I suppose, is if this E Lightbody is any relation to either of you?
I think I have clarified my family relationships to the Savages and you would have enough information to verify any relationship on that side.
I wish you, theGabriel and George success in exploring the Lightbody's further

Regards

Frank

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 31 January 14 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Just a few points on the Savage family-

David Savage (c1859), son of Andrew, m.1887 Mary Alexander (c1870)
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Bangor/Castle_Street/1252567
1910- http://www.libraryireland.com/UlsterDirectory1910/Bangor-5.php
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Bangor/Castle_Square/261351
1.   Maggie Savage (c1888)
2.   Andrew Savage (c1891)
3.   Sarah Savage (c1894)
4.   David Savage (c1898)
5.   Alexander Savage (c1907)

Andrew Savage
"Andrew Savage was in the Machine Gun Corps in WW1.There were also a Nellie (Ellen) Lightbody in both families. Whilst trying to find out what had happened to my Aunt Nellie (she died in Belfast) I came across the marriage of a Nellie Lighbody and an Andrew Savage. They were married on 16th September 1915 at Bangor Abbey Church. There is a birth of a William Andrew Savage for 26th September 1917 and a death for the mother the next day aged 21."
Roll of Honour, Trinty Presbyterian Church- Andrew Savage, 16 Castle Square, Private R.I.R
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/rohpci/rohbangortrinity.html

David Savage
Roll of Honour, Trinty Presbyterian Church- David Savage, 16 Castle Square, Private King's Liverpool Regt.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/rohpci/rohbangortrinity.html   
David Savage m.(1920 Newtownards registration district) Isabella Gordon
"I have a Canada Arrivals document dated April 1923 listing David Savage  25 years old born, Bangor Co. Down intends to stay in Canada to Winnipeg for Harvesting work nearest relative in Ireland - wife, Mrs Savage at 30 Castle Sq. Bangor
then there is a UK Incoming Passengers List for Decemeber 17th 1923
listing David Savage - 25 years old, labourer - Castle Sq. Bangor Co. Down"