Author Topic: missing grave  (Read 5829 times)

stormtroop

missing grave
« on: Monday 30 September 13 19:20 BST (UK) »
I have found the grave of my gt/great grandfather but I am unable to find out where his wife is buried or where my other gt/great grandparents are buried. I have gone onto sites like million graves or whatever, and other sites but nothing, not impressed really.

can anyone help.    thanks 

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: missing grave
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 September 13 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,
If you can give us the full name of the wife, county & parish, including approximate date of birth if known, and year of death we can try and find the burial entry for you.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 September 13 22:39 BST (UK) »
As victor suggested, if you give some more  details so that people can offer advice. The sites mentioned will be incomplete as they rely on volunteers giving their time. Also it usually means there's a gravestone and as i'm sure you know not everyone who dies has one. It may be worth contacting the bereavement services in the area the death occurred or the local crematorium as they usually have a copy of the national burial index. Some places charge a fee though.

stormtroop

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 14:57 BST (UK) »
O.K thanks, here goes.

My great great grandmother was Isabella Henderson, I do not know her maiden name, she was born in 1816 in Doddington,  her last know address was Cooper Street in Gateshead on the 1891 census she was living with her grandson. I believe she may have died in 1898. I am not sure.

My others are my  great grandparents; George Henderson born 1810 Ford and died Headlam Durham in 1907 . his wife Sarah Henderson born 1851 born  Goathland Yorkshire, I am not sure when she died or where. I can not find anything for here.

I can not understand why I can not find anything for old Sarah, she was alive on the 1911 census living in Headlam.

Thanks.

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 16:04 BST (UK) »
Could she have remarried if hubby died first?

stormtroop

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 17:14 BST (UK) »

Isabella did not remarry as far as I know, they were married for many years and she was with her grandson at the end.

Sarah, not that I know, she was George's second wife. they were also married for many years and old Sarah was 60 plus on the 1911 census. and  still looking after family.   

stormtroop

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 17:15 BST (UK) »

One thing I noted about the women who were left is that they did not seem to remarry, two others married to great great uncles were left widows with children and they did not get married again.

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 18:01 BST (UK) »
As above, contact the council graves department, they should have the records and lair maps. I recently found one where the only markers were 4 stones with DB on them denoting the persons initials, and that was a 1929 death. Only way to ever find that is through the lair maps.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 18:12 BST (UK) »

My others are my  great grandparents; George Henderson born 1810 Ford and died Headlam Durham in 1907 . his wife Sarah Henderson born 1851 born  Goathland Yorkshire, I am not sure when she died or where. I can not find anything for here.

I can not understand why I can not find anything for old Sarah, she was alive on the 1911 census living in Headlam.

Thanks.

Hello,

Was George really 40 yrs older than Sarah?
Found them now  I think - was he born 1841?

Could Sarah be this one?

June 1931  Sarah Henderson  80yrs  Stockton  volume 10a  page 69

I don't understand your sentiments - 'not impressed' if you have not found or confirmed the deaths yet. That would surely be your first priorty.
When you have death details, you will be in a better position to look for burials.

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk