Author Topic: JOHN MCCARTHY AND MARY QUINN  (Read 25255 times)

Offline egregora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN MCCARTHY AND MARY QUINN
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 03 May 14 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

May I put in my 2c worth? 

The Mary Ann and Henry Quinn referred to in MAJM's post (being put into the orphanage in NSW, children of Charles and Esther Quin/Quinn) are in my family tree and from my research there's no relation to the original poster's family tree.

Offline asilky

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 16 June 14 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
I would like to put my 2c worth
Clara and John Mccarthy/McCarty were baptized and born at Ipswich Darling Downs John 1845 Clara 1st Oct 1847 name not Clarinda don't know where that came from .Clara had all information on her marriage cert.Parents  John Mccarthy ditto under bridegrooms fathers occ.I think it was meant to be Publican like mother Mary Quinn Publican .My believe is John was given land by ballot Ipswich  where he built a pub now I have no proof in this only the land ballot.This thread is very hard to follow Clara is my GG grandmother
silky.
scotland england wales australia new zealand
Mealmaker  Pennington/Peninton May Harris Jones Henry

Offline asilky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 16 June 14 03:28 BST (UK) »
They were Roman catholics

Offline cristiane

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 14 September 15 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hello all,
Has anyone checked the NSW pre 1856 BDM films for verification on the McCARTHY and QUINN children at all?
All the ones listed on the birth indexes (internet) do not belong to them as the mothers have a different maiden name.
Some record mum as nee Quin, Quinn or just Mary McCarthy/McCarty.
I am helping a relative of whose direct line is from these parents;  also, by the way, son George was not registered as George Daniel on his birth/baptism certificate, just plain old George.
For volumes after 123 you need to contact the Registrar of BDM's in Sydney as these and others not listed are on file there.
My great aunt Rosa Eliza nee CAMPENELLA (alias Theresa Elizabeth CAMPANELLA) married their grandson Daniel McCarthy in 1907 in Rockhampton, Qld.
I see some have done some homework, even though the births on some records have just Darling Downs in the county of Stanley, says nothing about born in Ipswich.

hansen of kobenhavn danmark, honnor of london, merrylees etc of scotland, truscott of cornwall, tout of england, lovett of england, barrett of warwick england,  jacobs and hallam of london, beach  and morgan of qld australia, littlejohn, henwood and pearn of cornwall, walker, watherston etc, wilsone and watt of scotland, blaik and bowman of scotland, mccarthy of ireland.

Offline asilky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 14 September 15 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Christiane
my husband is a descendant of John McCarty/Mcarthy and Mary Quinn can you help me with the family tree if you post a couple of times you can Private message me.I do have Marys death cert.I think I have Johns death will check but daughter Clara is his great great grandmother.thank you
silky

Offline asilky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 14 September 15 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again
I have Clara and Johns birth certs born Ipswich.I have always wondered if there are 2 lots of Mary Quins and John Mccarthy.The posts are very confusing to me. ???
silky

Offline asilky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi All Mccarthy followers
sorry when I looked up the births it only has Darling downs for John and Clara but where I got Ipswich from is the marriage of Clara Mccarthy to William Faux 1863 aged 16yrs.Forbes NSW
Now it has father Farmer I think its hard to understand but it just has ditto after his name above that it has Williams father farmer.Mary Quinn publican....By rights it should have deceased .So is that made up why I don't know.Or is this a different family.???? ???
I noticed that one person has John and Clara born a different time.Also on Johns Mccarthy's death cert Clara is 25yrs she should be 29yrs...
I have always questioned this... why is Clara at Forbes at the age of 16yrs is she with her father ?or grandmother ? some relative ?at marriage Clara was 16 and William 30... 12th June 1863 and she took on looking after a family after Williams defacto Ellen Dawson died.He had at least 3 children to Ellen and 2 by Clara their names were Clara and Annie..never been able to find the deaths of Annie or mother Clara. Annie and Clara Faux were born at Murrumbidgerie station where William worked for many years also at Dundullimal Dubbo. Annie Faux married William Jones ...
silky

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Re the 1863 NSW marriage of William FAUX and Clara MACCARTHY registered in the Forbes district.

The requirement to show on a NSW BDM Marriage registration if a parent was known to be deceased was NOT in place until early in the 20th Century.   Some clergy did provide the info in the years prior, but it was NOT a requirement.   

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline asilky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 01:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
yes I have been researching for over 30 yrs and find certificates have wrong information made by clergy and family some just guess some stricken by grieve are not thinking straight therefore mistakes are made.I have also found that names can be spelt many ways like Mccarthy /Mccarty/Maccarthy clearly on marriage it is Mccarthy and mother Mary Quinn 2 N's.
Clara could not write signed with a X William Faux signed his name.The way I read the certificate is that Williams father occupation was not given then not given was scratched out and above is farmer written after and I think the ditto for John Mccarthy was for the not given .If that makes sense .I have studied it and tried to make sense of it I don't think he was a farmer and his wife a publican . silky