Author Topic: DRING Family in West Oxfordshire  (Read 5230 times)

Offline adring

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DRING Family in West Oxfordshire
« on: Tuesday 15 October 13 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

On advice from "Aristocrat" Nigel, I am posting my first message on the Beginner's Forum.  Please be patient!

I am looking for DRINGS in (West) Oxfordshire and have cobbled together some information involving my direct ancestors from the Charlbury area:

Alfred Edward Dring: Born 1879 (Married to Edith Honey)
(Alfred's Father) Charles Dring: Born 1838? (Married to Mary, nee Biles, a widow of Reuben Biles? in 1877)
(Charles' Father) Joseph Dring: Born 1806? (Married to Sophia, nee Doare in 1832). They had four children, including Charles, and possibly another illegitimate daughter?

I am very new to this and am still unsure about how to proceed further back from Joseph.  From parish records, I see there are 2 Josephs baptised in 1806 to 2 different couples in West Oxfordshire. Thomas & Mary OR Joseph & Mary. Which -if any- was he born to? And how do I find out?

I keep hearing about a George Dring, but have so far not traced him as a possible link.  But as I said, I'm new! 

Anyone got any advice? I've only got this far with the support of some very helpful people!

Best Wishes,

Ali
DRING ~ West Oxfordshire
BILES ~ Gloucestershire?
COCKINGS ~ Durham/Hunts
BENTLEY ~ ?
JOHNSON ~ ?
SWITZER ~ ?
HERMAN ~ ?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DRING Family in West Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 07:25 BST (UK) »
Hiya Ali - sorry I can`t help with your Oxfds Dring family -but there are a few Dring here in Garston,Liverpool...
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html have a look on this site - been in this area since late 1700`s ...
if you do make a connection to Liverpool , let me know and I will get in touch with my mate who is a Dring
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Ali, welcome to Rootschat  ;D

I quick look has your Joseph the son of Thomas Dring and Mary Collett and Thomas's parents being John Dring and Sarah Silver

DropBear
Baxter: Lanarkshire, Slamannan
Jordan: Lanarkshire, Staffordshire
McFarlane: Lanarkshire
Mitchell: Ireland to Scotland, Canada & New Zealand
Farrell: Lanarkshire, Ireland, New York
Fagan: Lanarkshire, Ireland
Hogg: Lanarkshire, Ireland

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 07:44 BST (UK) »
Also looks like children of Joseph and Sophia could be;

Jane born 1835
Eden born 1839
Charles born 1842
Emily born 1845
Ezra born 1849

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 07:56 BST (UK) »
Of the above children these could be possible spouses;

Eden marries a Emma Burdock. Child of this marriage Nellie born 1881. Eden dies in 1883 and Emma marries Albert William Lander and has a further 4 children
Charles marries a Mary Gammage. Mary has previously been married to Reuben Biles and has 6 children. With Charles she has Alfred born in 1880

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ali
I have been doing some look ups for you and I have so much information I worry it will overwhelm you. So you have to think about what it is you need to find out because as well as loads of information you are going to be given it sometimes means you miss out on the fun of looking things up for your self. So think about what you want from posting on here - is it for us to do all the look ups and you just transcribe the info into your tree or is to search out hidden info or solve problems or simply teach / tutor you about how to look where? Or it may be a bit of each?

Any information I give you is without prejudice, may be wrong and may be misleading it could be miss representative as well!!

So this is what I have found thus far, really at the moment I am consolidating what you know already before you move back in time?

Alfred Edward Dring was born at Park Street, Charlbury and he was baptised at St Marys Church,. Charlbury on 10 Aug 1879, he married in 1902 at Headington, Reg Q2 v3a p1554 to Edith Honey B 1878 Reg Q3 v3a p683 Headington.

Tip ; Watch it when you consider where an event took place in regard to where its registrations took place. Headington can mean a whole swathe of Oxford City to the East and North of the city and includes many churches and at least 2 registry offices.
In a minute when you read on, Chipping Norton Registration, can include Chipping Norton it self but also the out lying smaller towns and villages  - so do NOT assume the event took place in the registered office town!!!!

Charles Dring was born in 1838 at Finstock, he was baptised at St Marys Church, Charlbury on 19 Dec 1838. He married on  to Mary Biles 1877 Reg Q4 v3a p1135 Chipping Norton - as you say she was a Widow, she had previously married on 9 Nov 1857 at All Saints Church, Shorthampton to Reuben Biles (sometimes spelt BYLES). Reuben died 13 Aug 1872 Reg Q3 v3a p443 Chipping Norton. Reuben and Mary also had at least 2 more children - Sarah B 1858 Shorthampton and Walter Jan 1861 Chilson.
Mary's maiden name was GAMMAGE, she was born circa 1834 in Witney.

Joseph Dring m 24 Dec 1832 at St Marys Church, Charlbury to Sophia Doare (sometimes spelt DORE) the marriage was after Banns, they were both from nearby Finstock. The witnesses were Charles Doare and Martha Doare, who both signed with a x.

Tell me what you think of all this, but I hope it is helping you?

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline adring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel!

I am absolutely staggered as to how much information I have discovered in the last 24 hours from yourself and Drop Bear  :o

Your e-mail is absolutely spot on about the overload of information!  I am so far though enjoying the mix of new details turning up and me being able to find out more on the back of it.  I now have a -thin- tree going back to Jno Dring...and then maybe Samuel, circa early 1700's?  I'm still a little confused, but that's to be expected in the early days!

You have already fleshed out some of the details that I knew a little about and that's been great. Thanks for your advice on registration locations too. I didn't know that.  So Charles & Martha couldn't read?!....

I know most about Alfred Edward Dring (who started Dring's Coaches in Oxford) and this has been fascinating.  Back from him, I have Charles Dring & Mary Biles, Joseph Dring & Sophia Doare, Thomas Dring & Mary Collett, John Dring & Sarah Silver, Jno Dring & ? and then possibly Samuel Dring?  I don't know too many details about these.

I have SO many lines to research, that I think I would be grateful for any help/information you had time to spare!  Any tutoring/teaching gratefully received too.  I.e. where can I order certificates?

Thanks Nigel,

Ali

DRING ~ West Oxfordshire
BILES ~ Gloucestershire?
COCKINGS ~ Durham/Hunts
BENTLEY ~ ?
JOHNSON ~ ?
SWITZER ~ ?
HERMAN ~ ?

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 19:47 BST (UK) »
Ali
Here is the link you will need to get the certs;

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

You can also ask them at your local office but via their web site is so convenient but watch out they can dent the ole budget!!

So more info - mmm I shall wait a bi before I pass on more, I think I can take you can take a bit further but I reckon with all you have thus far you might benefit from just getting it all together and on to your tree before you start racing back in time and in so doing you may well miss some valuable clues to help you join stuff up later.
There are so many lines to bring down to living rellies, there is also all the anecdotal info, the social history of your family and we haven't even started to see how and where your family fit into other peoples trees. That is where you really do get in the red zone of info.
I have yet to talk to you about the DRINGS and COLLETTS from West Oxfordshire I have in my tree. Then there are all the web based sources of info, it really is all very overpoweringw hen you get started. So keep using us in here till you begin working things out for yourself, you seem to be starting really well anyway. Don't forget tat you can click on anyone's name in here - on the left of this message and select send PM and send another person a Personal Message - sometimes saves a bit of embarrassment for the daft questions!! It also facilitates sending more personal info should you need. Try it and test it out so you knwo how it works - send me a message as a test?

Do you know that you get all the PR's for Oxfordshire on CD from the Oxfordshire Family History Society, you can also join then for a very small fee and they are very helpful and also have an information center which is open some days of the week. Have a look at them;

http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

T ra for now

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline Jane Trotman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 January 20 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Ali
Here is the link you will need to get the certs;

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

You can also ask them at your local office but via their web site is so convenient but watch out they can dent the ole budget!!

So more info - mmm I shall wait a bi before I pass on more, I think I can take you can take a bit further but I reckon with all you have thus far you might benefit from just getting it all together and on to your tree before you start racing back in time and in so doing you may well miss some valuable clues to help you join stuff up later.
There are so many lines to bring down to living rellies, there is also all the anecdotal info, the social history of your family and we haven't even started to see how and where your family fit into other peoples trees. That is where you really do get in the red zone of info.
I have yet to talk to you about the DRINGS and COLLETTS from West Oxfordshire I have in my tree. Then there are all the web based sources of info, it really is all very overpoweringw hen you get started. So keep using us in here till you begin working things out for yourself, you seem to be starting really well anyway. Don't forget tat you can click on anyone's name in here - on the left of this message and select send PM and send another person a Personal Message - sometimes saves a bit of embarrassment for the daft questions!! It also facilitates sending more personal info should you need. Try it and test it out so you knwo how it works - send me a message as a test?

Do you know that you get all the PR's for Oxfordshire on CD from the Oxfordshire Family History Society, you can also join then for a very small fee and they are very helpful and also have an information center which is open some days of the week. Have a look at them;

http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

T ra for now

Nigel