Author Topic: Edward John FERRY in Mape Street Bethnal Green  (Read 3215 times)

Offline sheepbritt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edward John FERRY in Mape Street Bethnal Green
« on: Sunday 12 January 14 23:40 GMT (UK) »

It's been a few months since I was actively researching and I began the New Year thinking that my Ferry ancestors might be easy to trace!  As a self-imposed challenge for January I decided to research all  my great great uncles and aunts in the Ferry line,  but have come across a puzzle already.   I'm hoping that someone might be able to help with this one!

Edward John Ferry was born in Bethnal Green  on 29th May 1834 (father: Edward William Ferry, mother: Frances Sarah Ferry nee Aburn).  Edward John was one of the brothers of my great great grandfather, Ambrose Ferry (1837-1889).

Assuming I've got the right man, Edward John Ferry  married Sarah Bishop on 19th October 1857. 

In the 1861 census they are at 24 Mape Street Bethnal Green , in the same house as John and Susan Bishop (Sarah's parents?)

From 1871 until 1911 their address is 55 Mape Street, Bethnal Green. 

What's intriguing me is that in 1871 there is a couple called James and Elizabeth Parker also living at No. 55 , and in 1881 Elizabeth Parker is still there,  but is now a widow. The census appears to suggest that Sarah Ferry is her daughter.

In 1891  Elizabeth Parker, now aged  75 , is still with them at 55 Mape Street and is apparently Edward John Ferry's mother!

Can anyone shed any light on Mrs Parker's probable relationship to the Ferrys?  Or have I got the wrong Edward Ferry? Or misinterpreted the census? 

Thanks for your interest; I'll be very grateful for any ideas.   

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Edward John FERRY in Mape Street Bethnal Green
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 January 14 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Assuming I've got the right man, Edward John Ferry  married Sarah Bishop on 19th October 1857.

The 1857 marriage cert shows Edward as a weaver and his father was also Edward occ weaver.  The witnesses were John Bishop & Frances Ferry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sheepbritt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 January 14 23:50 GMT (UK) »
The Ferrys were definitely a weaving family - but my lot are just one of many!  I'm fairly sure this is the right chap....

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 January 14 23:52 GMT (UK) »
I thought the witness Frances Ferry may have been his mother or sister
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sheepbritt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 January 14 23:56 GMT (UK) »
His mother was Frances Sarah Ferry, and he also had a sister with the same name. This is why I'm confused about Elizabeth Parker - whose mother was she? Or perhaps she was just an elderly lady living in the same house?

Online Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 January 14 00:06 GMT (UK) »
I think you will find she was just living at the same address, in different rooms. She is separated by \ from the FERRY family, which indicates a separate household at the same address. \\ means separate address.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 January 14 00:30 GMT (UK) »
This may confuse even more!!!! I think Elizabeth parker -although living separate is related somewhere

1851 census you mentioned has:
John Bishop 50 wife Susan 50 Bethnal Green / daughter Sarah 16 / son William age 18? / son Henry HANCHARD 18

marriage of John Bishop and Susan
St Boltoph
15 May 1848
John Bishop widower of age seaman Half Moon St  father William Bishop occ Weaver
Susan Hanchard widow of age father William Gillet occ Weaver
witness Samuel Hayward Jno Clark

so it looks like Susan was originally Susan Gillet

Elizabeth Parker was married to James Parker
previously she was married to Peter Bolt

marriage
St John Bethnal Green
14 July 1849
Peter Bolt full age B silk manufacturer 15 preston St father John Bolt silk manufacturer
Elizabeth Gillett of age  S  24 Mape St father John Gillet silk manufacturer
witnesses james Hanchard P Dixon

so the relationship is between Susan Bishop nee Hanchard nee Gillet and Elizabeth Parke nee Bolt nee Gillet

Back with more soon

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 January 14 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Parker is
1901 Sale St widow age 85 alone
1891 Mape St living separately to the Ferry family widow age 75 - described as "Mother"
1881 Beth Grove age 67 nwidow with daughter Mary A age 26 fancy trimming maker b. Bethnal Green
1871 56 mape St with husband James Parker 48 weaver, John James Parker son 18, Benjamin Parker son 15, Henry Bolt son 20 Sarah A Bolt daughter 18
1861 with husband james Parker 39 Silk weaver, son James John Parker 7, son Benjamin Parker 5, daughter Ann Parker 9?, son Henry Bolt 12
1851 Mape St Elizabeth is Elizabeth Bolt with husband Peter Bolt 29 and son Henry Bolt

fuller details and ref if required

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 January 14 01:21 GMT (UK) »
1841 census shows
S Conduit St Bethnal Green
Susan Hanchard 40 Weaver
Elizabeth 20
Charles 15
James 15
William 10
George 10
John 9
Henry 7
Jane Frances 60 Silk Weaver
next door
William Gillet 60 Dyer
Mary 40
Mary 20
Ann Shear|/30 F.S.
next
James Bishop 25 Weaver
Catherine
HO107 691 9 9 9

so was Susan Hanchard (nee Gillet)  a widow living next door to her father William
was Elizabeth 20 really Gillet and the illegit daughter of Susan (Elizabeth named her father as John Gillet -was she really referring to John Bishop??)

and so is sarah Bishop who married Edward John Ferry the daughter of Susan and John Bishop - or is she the illegit daughter of Elizabeth Gillet-Bolt Parker??

Lots of room for further research

Suz