Author Topic: Thomas and John Layton in Toronto, Ontario  (Read 1018 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas and John Layton in Toronto, Ontario
« on: Wednesday 26 March 14 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I have asked about these 2 brothers before but am still looking for confirmation from some documented evidence of who they married and when.  They emigrated from Worcestershire, England to Ontario about 1833 with their two other brothers, William and Henry.  This site has been a great help towards finding information on William and Henry but I have unconfirmed info still on Thomas (B: 1816) and John (B: 1812).   I cannot find a marriage for either on A....  but am presuming they married in Canada.   I think Thomas married Emma (probably Farley?) and someone has said he did in 1846 but I need definite evidence for this and to know the parents given are William Unett Layton and Ann for both brothers.   A Letter of Administration on the death of John in 1857 gives his relict / wife as Jane.

Can anyone help please in finding the marriages ?   
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas and John Layton in Toronto, Ontario
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 March 14 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Laytonlily.

I believe that you were given info about Thomas' marriage in this thread. Did you contact the church to inquire about the records?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=671182.msg5181137#msg5181137

Here is info about the records from familysearch. You should, presumably, be able to obtain what you are looking for from the Ontario Genealogy Society mentioned therein. They should have info about any witnesses, who may be other family members.

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/1184686?availability=Family%20History%20Library

It appears that the original film is not in circulation (click on number for for further info) but it is my understanding that you can order copies of records through familysearch. There is a thread about this on RootsChat somewhere.

If John married at St James, you should find his marriage in the records at this link.

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~maryc/old5.htm

You should be able to search through other available early parish records in the same website. There are not very many available on line, however.

Civil registration only began in Ontario in 1869 so your only recourse is to find a parish record of an event. Marriages are, however, more readily available from about 1858, I believe, but this would be later than the time you are looking at.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada