Author Topic: Westhamptnet Registration - can someone look up a baptism please?  (Read 1539 times)

Offline Battie99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Battman Family Research Interest
    • View Profile
Westhamptnet Registration - can someone look up a baptism please?
« on: Thursday 27 March 14 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello I have the following birth registration:

Harriet Glue - birth registered Mar qtr 1884 Westhampnett RD  ref 2b 394

Harriett Glue - baptised 28 Mar 1884 Sussex, England
Parents Cornelius & Ellen Glue
Batch No I02672-6
FHL Film Number:   2147133

Is anyone able to lookup the record and tell me what parish she was baptised in the district of Westhampnet please?

Thank you.
Regards

Helen

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Westhamptnet Registration - can someone look up a baptism please?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 March 14 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Battie99
I found your earlier Rootschat link on
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=681330.0

That gives the impression that in the 1880s, the father Cornelius Glue (aka Glew) was a soldier or a carpenter/wheelright born in Harting and attached to the Dragoons in Brighton.  By then the foot soldiers' barracks in Church Street were closed, but the Dragoons who were horse soldiers and the Artillery men were still in Barracks at Preston. In all probability, Cornelius and his family were posted abroad between the birth of Harriett and the 1891 census, and that is why they have proved to be so difficult to find. 

I wonder if you noticed that the IGI transcript of the film showing Harriett's baptism in Westhampnet District (Batch No I02672-6 FHL Film Number: 2147133) also shows Cornelius' marriage a year earlier in Steyning district, so presumably the above transcription is not tied to a specific parish.  Perhaps this is a filmed copy of some records that relate to Preston Barracks where the Dragoons and Artillerymen were based.  By the way, although just north of Brighton, the parish of Preston and the Barracks were also classified as being in the Steyning district, so the Marriage of Cornelius may appear in the records of St Peters of Preston and be more specific about his occupation.

Further clues to Harriett's place of baptism may therefore be in Military rather than Ecclesiastical records or in her father's birth parish of Harting.  I believe that the last Glue record from that parish on the SFHG index is from 1882, so it may be that there are later records, but they have yet to be transcribed and indexed. 

Regards Roy G

Offline Battie99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 March 14 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roy, thank you so much for that information.

I found the marriage of Ellen and Cornelius in Lancing in 1883, Carpenter. I'm assumng Ellen is living with her uncle in Lancing, who is witness.
There is no baptism record there in 1884 for Harriet.
They may like you say have gone abroad.
In 1887 Ellen dies in WestborneUnion, not sure if she is inmate or not.
I've ordered the death certificate to see if Cornelius is the informant.
Assuming Cornelius is alive,  what would happen to a soldier and his child in the event of his wifes death?
As you know both Cornelius and Harriet missing from 1891 and 1901 census. Abroad?
Harriet then dies 1906 in Petersfield Union (tuberculosis), close to Harting.
Regards

Helen

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 March 14 18:55 GMT (UK) »
It's a bit of a conundrum, what family history isn't.

I found the Lancing entry later and then found 14 year old Cornelius as GLEW in a Chichester residential school in 1871.   PRO RG 10, folio 27, p. 13; Chichester   He was getting an education, but was he a willing pupil, or was that an institution?  Either way, he may have obtained basic skills in literacy and numeracy which may change the way you think about him.

As for Harriett, after the loss of her mother, she is unlikely to have traveled as an infant just with her father, so I would consider looking for her with her grandparents or the family of one of her father or mother's siblings.  A possibility is that she may was then known by their surname rather than her own.  Her true surname may only have been revealed when the workhouse in Petersfield sought a contribution for her upkeep from the parish of her birth.  Harting still seems to be a strong contender, so it may be in your interest to look at the records of that parish a little more closely.

Rootschat prefer us not to put in links to other websites, so Google   "  Glew  Jon's home page "
and you will find a guy to contact who already has an interest in the Glue/Glew family from that location.

Regards Roy G

Offline Battie99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 March 14 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roy, it is like you say a conundrum.

Ellens parents are dead as are corneliuses, hence his presence at school (an institution)?

Ellens siblings are dispersed, all over the country, most of them being brought up in the workhouse and have troubles of their own.

John's family is related to Cornelius but only distantly.

But the mystery does tend to lean towards the Glue/Harting connection I must admit and its all fascinating learning.

thank you so much.

x
Regards

Helen

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 March 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
This may be a bum steer, but I noticed  in the later censuses that Elias (Cornelius's elder brother), had connections with the Royal Marines and Petersfield.  He also served on the Royal Yacht "Osborne"   So it might help to know a bit more about him.  Perhaps the impression you were given that Cornelius was a soldier was false, and he joined the navy or marines instead.

A further line might be one of Cornelius' sisters (Ruth) who lived in Portsea and had a husband (1875) and a then children by a partner who she eventually married in 1888.  Even if it reveals nothing, you will know a little more about the family you married into.

regards Roy