Author Topic: Herbert Rippon. Transported for Life but came back home  (Read 13075 times)

Offline Onese

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert Rippon. Transported for Life but came back home
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I have now tried appealing for help with finding Herbert Rippon in Prison Hulk records on the Beginners Board.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=707600.0

Been given a bit of advice and guidance but it looks as though a trip to the National Archives at Kew is on the cards for me if I want to find out about the missing 12 years  :-\

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 23:14 GMT (UK) »
It will be interesting to hear.  Hope you don't live too far away - at least closer than we do  8)  ::)  ;D

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Onese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 18 December 14 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Judith.

Yes, we are a bit closer than you. Just over the hill from where Great Grand-Dad Herbert spent some, but not all, of his life.

So, best I start saving up for the trip to Kew. It looks as though I may have a lot of books to go through and at this point, its just a theory  ???   

Still, if it was easy, those moments when you fit another piece into the jigsaw puzzle wouldn't be quite so enjoyable  :D

Offline Onese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 05 March 15 10:19 GMT (UK) »
My quest on finding out if, or how, Herbert Rippon got back home to England from his transportation to Western Australia was given a major boost recently.

My previous searches on Trove missed this article that was unearthed by a contact in Australia  ::)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/3367183

Please note under "Departures" on Saturday 11 Aug 1864 the barque Palestine heading out of Freemantle for Mauritius with a H Rippon as a passenger  ;D  This is just 2 months after getting his Conditional Pardon 03 June 1864 at Freemantle.

I have found out quite a bit about the Palestine. There is even a related article on the same newspaper page. She sailed regularly between London and Freemantle. But I can find no voyage details for this run to Mauritius and her onward movements.

Needless to say, I would like to find out if the passenger H Rippon stayed aboard the Palestine for a return trip to London or stopped off in Port Louis.

Can anybody help please?