Author Topic: ROBERTS  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROBERTS
« on: Friday 26 September 14 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am interested in JOHN ROBERTS, born in Bedfordshire c1776. I know virtually nothing about him, other than he might be the father of MARY ROBERTS, who I believe went on to marry one JAMES MARDELL, though I can't find a record of the marriage. If I am correct, James and Mary MARDELL went on to live in Edmonton, Middlesex. Indeed, Mary might even have been born in Middlesex. Any information or insights would be welcome.

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: ROBERTS
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 September 14 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

For your pile of notes, an interesting family group . . . . .

1841 HO107/652/3/21/page26
Eatons Place, Hove Street, Edmonton, Middlesex
James Mardell 30 AgLab Y
Mary                25            Y
James              10           Y
Henry                 7           Y
Emma                2            Y
Elisa                  2mo        Y
with
John Roberts       70        N
Elizabeth Roberts 20       Y

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 September 14 15:09 BST (UK) »

Duplicate thread . . . . .

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=700451.new#new

Reading thru that thread, you probably already have the info I searched for, found and posted.

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 September 14 06:39 BST (UK) »
The order that the family was listed in 1841 is intriguing, not quite as shown by Ray:
James 30
James 10
Mary 25
Henry 7
Emma 2
Eliza 5 mths

I've seen cases where all the males are listed followed by the females, but the position of Henry makes a mess of that possibility.

Another interpretation is that Mary wasn't the mother of James jun, but that he was from a previous marriage (possibly the one at Edmonton on 6 Jun 1830 between James Mardel bachelor and Mary Ann Bird spinster). James and Mary had a son James Mardle born 15 Aug 1831 at Eaton Place. They had a daughter Mary Ann on 22 Feb 1833 which, if there were two marriages would put the marriage at c1832 (although I suppose that Mary Ann Bird could have died almost immediately after the marriage and James remarried rapidly in time for a child to be born in Aug 1831). But I can't see a burial of Mary Ann nor a second marriage, and the timing all looks pretty tight. But as you have a birth cert of one of the younger children where the mother's maiden name is listed as Roberts, and the presence of John Roberts tends to confirm this, then two marriages seems the most likely explanation.

There are a number of John Roberts baptisms in Beds at around 1776. It will take some work to try to narrow them down, and even then it will be difficult to prove conclusively that it's the same John Roberts who lived in Edmonton. And more work again to prove that Mary Mardell was the daughter of John Roberts, as without her marriage and her baptism you have a large disconnect.

Running two parallel threads without a cross reference is a recipe for duplication of effort

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 September 14 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Agree totally with David, including the erroneous detail.

The other error made was calling it a "family group" which should have been "household group".
ie no proven link between Mardell and Roberts in that group.

Ray