Author Topic: Crown inn Abergele  (Read 4020 times)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Crown inn Abergele
« on: Tuesday 07 October 14 13:18 BST (UK) »
My  G Grandmother Emma Jones aged 16  worked here 1881, she came from St George her family were Wesleyans .
I have tried to find a photo of this tavern with out success any ideas where I could find anything at this time.
I'm also looking for a marriage of her  sister Hannah Jones born in St George 1858 have her in 1871 census  living with her Father mother sister and brother . i no idea of husbands name.
, or if she married but can't find her in 1881 census but have her mother and brother in 1881 census
Thank you .

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Crown inn Abergele
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 16:34 BST (UK) »

This may be it, but it`s not from 1881.
http://www.abergelepost.com/the-old-pubs-inns-and-taverns-of-abergele-in-the-1800s.html
The Crown is where Gwalia House, a modern day butcher’s shop, now stands. It was a butcher’s shop even in the late 1800′s, as well as a tavern, kept by a prominent Wesleyan, Edward Roberts

http://statics.192.com/estreet/original/large/1234/12343375.jpg

http://goo.gl/maps/WKr8a

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 16:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you I saw that article just google earth 36 market st Abergele can't even imagine the crown in that setting. Isn't the computer a wonderful thing   Thank you for taking the time to reply :) as my lot were Wesleyans that's how she must have got the job lol

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
My  G Grandmother Emma Jones aged 16  worked here 1881, she came from St George her family were Wesleyans .
I'm also looking for a marriage of her  sister Hannah Jones born in St George 1858 have her in 1871 census  living with her Father mother sister and brother . i no idea of husbands name.
, or if she married but can't find her in 1881 census but have her mother and brother in 1881 census
Thank you .

What are names ages place of birth for her parents and siblings. That would help.

Offline valerie1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hannah Jones parents William Jones born St Asaph about 1835 mother Jane Jones born about 1823 Llanfairtalhairn Hannah born 1858 St George brother John born 1856 sister Emma my g grandmother born 1865 St George rose lane St George but rose lane could be mis spelt
Thank you

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 20:35 BST (UK) »
There is a possible marriage for Hannah Jones to William Roberts in 1876,together with an 1881 census ref. RG11/5531/10/13 at 22 Jenkin Street Abergele.Unfortunately,the census does not specify St George as birthplace and the marriage is a civil one.Further,I can't locate this family in 1891.

Regards
Roger

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
Minus the son Robert Roger she could be just given as born in Abergele in 1891.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 21:16 BST (UK) »

Names and place fit, could these be our Hannah and William.
 Problem is  they are common names.
Wrexham Advertiser, March 14 1885
William Roberts , Jenkin  Street Abergele charged with using snares by Henry Lockett gamekeeper on the Kimnel Estate, fined 10s and 19s 6d costs

Wrexham Advertiser, June 13 1885
William Roberts, Jenkin St Abergele was charged by Henry Lockett gamekeeper on the Kimnel Estate for taking a hen pheasant and 4 eggs . Also charged with unlawfully possessing game out of season. Pleaded guilty and  fined  £3.8s 6d

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3619200/ART27

Extracts from the story . 7 April 1905
REMARKABLE STORY AT ABERGELE POLICE COURT. Before Dr. Wolstenholme and Mr J. Pierce, at the Abergele Police Court, on Saturday, a widow named Hannah Roberts, Maes y don, Llanddulas, was summoned for travelling between Rhyl and Abergele without a ticket,
Mrs Elizabeth Jones, Jenkin Street, Abergele, remembered Mrs Roberts calling upon her on Feb- ruary 10th, because the previous day she had been in trouble and she related the affair to Mrs Roberts, who stayed with her an hour or so.

Jenkin Street seems quite a colourful place.  Always something going on .

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/search/query?query=%22jenkin+street+abergele%22&date%5Bmin%5D=1804&date%5Bmax%5D=1919

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 23:01 BST (UK) »
Well the couple I found did live at Jenkin Street.Though of course only the marriage cert would prove she is the right Hannah.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk