Author Topic: Italian Research  (Read 121119 times)

Offline danbonino

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Italian Research
« Reply #432 on: Monday 21 February 22 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a lot Jim. By coincidence I have today been sent a copy of his baptism record by someone from the Barga Research Group. That confirms all the info you kindly dug up. 30 Dec 1866 was actually the baptism it seems and he was born a day earlier! It has helped me put several other pieces of the family puzzle together. Turns out he had a brother Giuseppe who also came to Scotland and it looks as if one of his sons may have been among the survivors of the Arandora Star tragedy. So there is lots more research to be done. Thanks again for your kind help.

For the record, just in case anyone has an interest or family connection, Giuseppes son Antonio was NOT on the Arandora Star. It appears he may have been on the SS Ettrick, another ship carrying deportees to Canada, which sailed the following day 3 Jul 1940.

Offline danbonino

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: Monday 21 February 22 13:33 GMT (UK) »
The list of casualties from the Arandona Star was made public. I am not sure the list of survivors ever was. But I believe this information is held and can be requested from National Archive in Kew.

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: Sunday 20 March 22 12:43 GMT (UK) »
H Folks,
Just a little note about Italian Records here in Italy.
As you know you can obtain  BMD either from the Provincial Archives (more or less) and the local town hall registry offices (Ufficio Anagrafe) giving as much info as possible. A lot will require a date or at least a year.  Over the last year I have found it increasingly difficult to get replies here in Italy due to COVId and staff shortages.  In some cases they are asking for a small fee or in several cases I was asked why I wanted the info and what relationship was I to the person.  Seems privacy laws are creeping in here.
As regards anyone searching records in Rome should remember that the territory is split into 15 town halls.   I have been unable to get info from two Rome cemeteries by e-mail.  Upon telephoning I was told to write!!  And??
I started this posting some time ago and found it easy to get hold of records, but times have changed.

steve62
Boaler/Bowler/Boler - UK/Canada/USA/Australia
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
Kapatofsky - Russia/Uk/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: Friday 06 October 23 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Its been sometime since I have been on this posting of mine.  I was blocked when we had the covid pandemic.  Just to reiterate something I wrote.   During covid the town halls "comune" were closed or staff cut to the bone.  Afterwards when they re-opened the staff levels were never really brought up to pre-covid in many cases.  Another factor was that many cut the office hours from 5 days a week to 3 mornings and one afternoon. 
I have had requests from people in the UK/USA  - not Rootschat.  Seems people I have helped in the past have passed on my e-mail and thats fin.   As menioned in a posting on Rootschat I have found problens obtaining info from "Comune," namely a few cases; what relation are you? The person concerned must write with a copy of I.D. and explain the relationship.  There will be a fee'.
One example;  A town of 700 inhabitants - requested a birth certificate and attached a copy of my canadian friends passport and explained it was his grandfather.  No reply to e-mail sent twice.  Tried the telephone and the message was "Please leave a message".  Tried again and ditto.
At this point I am sorry, but its getting a waste of time researching here.
However if anyone has documents in italian I will be pleased to translae them for you.

I did this posting a few years ago to help our members, because I have had so much help from members here in the past and it is only correct that I should input something.

Steve62
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: Friday 06 October 23 19:42 BST (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=876890.0

Hi. Would you be able to help with this please,  I have had a little but wondered if there was anything else of interest.
The first 2 images are in the wrong order.
Thanks
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: Friday 06 October 23 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Will give it a try.
Can you send me the document in one piece by email. If so will send you a PM with my mail.
Steve
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline ptdrifter

• RootsChat Senior
  • A time for peace, I swear it's not too late
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: Friday 06 October 23 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi. Just grabbing at straws, but wondering if you recognise a word on this census image. Been trying to decipher it for years! My ancestor born in 1815 apparently on the Mole of Genoa. The word in question is something like Pernerinto?
Thanks
Fred
Stevens, Pye  East London

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: Friday 06 October 23 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred
I'm reading the same.
Btw in what context was this word used in the census?
Steve
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline ptdrifter

• RootsChat Senior
  • A time for peace, I swear it's not too late
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: Friday 06 October 23 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, it's in the Where Born column.
On other censuses , he's listed as British Subject, born Italy, and on another Italy Genoa
Doesn't have an Italian name though, Joseph John Bush, although his first son was called Joseph John Anthony Baptista Bush.
Fred
Stevens, Pye  East London