Author Topic: Do you have corkcutter ancestors?  (Read 125714 times)

Offline corkcutter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have corkcutter ancestors?
« Reply #153 on: Tuesday 05 December 06 22:15 GMT (UK) »
This is very exciting news.  I have only belonged to ancestry.co.uk which doesn't offer that search.

Thanks for letting me know

Cheryl
Ball(s), Mewett, Keegan, Stoner, Newman,
Thompson, Rolfe,Cullum, Bayley (Bailey)
Trade of CORKCUTTING

Offline Fesnyng

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 00:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cheryl

Would like me to take this any further?  I have already followed up Jane Beach.  Her husband James first appears as a cork cutter in 1841 when was listed as 20 years old.  By 1851 he is employing 2 men and has married Jane who is 5 years younger.  In 1861 he is merely listed as a Cork Cutter.  By 1871 he is dead and Jane has taken over the business, employing (I think) 3 men and 2 boys.  In 1881 she has 4 men and 1 boy (perhaps one of them grew up), but I haven't yet managed to trace her further.

Please let me know if I can provide any other information.  Obviously my time is limited and I can't follow up all of them, but if there are particular cases, give me the names and I'll do my best.

Reards
Brian
Ascott, Bass, Brown, Collis, Flower, Hayward, Jarvis, Martin, Newport, Packman, Parker, Smith, Vaughan, Weeden

Offline corkcutter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Dear Brian, That's an extremely kind offer.  If any of them particularly take your interest, as in the case of Jane, then obviously it would be very useful.  As regards Jane, could I have her husband's name and also her/their location in the census?  Then I could add them to the index.

I think at some time I shall join ancestry.com and just plough through the lot.  It's a mad passion that I have.  Most of the index was created by trawling through hundreds of directories on the Historical Directories website.

At present I am in the thick of an educational course and won't be able to get my head above water until the end of next summer but then I should have all the time in the world.

Thanks again

Cheryl
Trade of CORKCUTTING

Offline corkcutter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Me again,  Ah yes, I see I already have Jane based at Shadwell in 1882.  Were the family always there and I still need the husband's name.

Cheryl
Trade of CORKCUTTING

Offline Fesnyng

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryl

James Beach was born in c1821 in the parsh of St George In The East, Tower Hamlets, London.  In 1841 he was living (probably lodging) at 21 Cornwall Street, Shadwell, Tower Hamlets in the same parish, and working as a cork cutter.

By 1851 he had married Jane Bury (who was born c1826 in Scotland) and they were living at No. 50 in nearby Church Road.  By now he was employing 2 men.  At this point they had two sons George (3) and Thomas (2).

At the time of the 1861 census they had a further son, James (9) and a daughter Jane (4).  They lived at 147 High St., still in Shadwell, and were doing well enough to have a domestic servant.

By 1871 James has presumably died and Jane is running the business employing 3 men (one of whom is her son Thomas) and 2 boys.  They have now moved next door t No. 149.  Her mother, also called Jane Bury, is now living with them (aged 71).

Still at the same address in 1881, Jane is employing 4 men, one of whom is Thomas - and a boy (her nephew Sidney james Thomas).  She is also employing her 15 year old neice, Lily Bury, as a domestic servant.

I can find no trace of her in censuses after 1881.  I haven'y searched the death records yet, but I may get around to it eventually.  She must have been a formidable woman.

Cheers
Brian
Ascott, Bass, Brown, Collis, Flower, Hayward, Jarvis, Martin, Newport, Packman, Parker, Smith, Vaughan, Weeden

Offline Fesnyng

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday 06 December 06 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about all the typos in the last posting.  I was in too much of a hurry!

Brian

Offline corkcutter

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Thursday 07 December 06 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Brian.  They are on the index now.

Cheryl
Trade of CORKCUTTING

Offline mg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Thursday 14 December 06 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheryl
I have a relative whose occupation was a corkcutter. Her name was Christina Bargnell. She was born in 1875 in St George in the East. When she married John King in 1894 she changed her first name to Hannah. Apparentley she was also know as the "Duchess of Watney Street".
Good luck with your index.
Mary
MASON - Northampton/Long Buckby
RUSSELL - Leicester
CIVIL - Northampton/Northumberland
SIMPSON - Leicester
HANWELL - Northampton/Long Buckby
BULLIMORE - Northampton/Lincoln
OGDEN - Northampton/London
BARGINALL - London
WRIGHT - Northampton
HILLYARD - Northampton
PICKERING - Northampton
OSBOURNE - Long Buckby
LETTS - Long buckby
LAW - Northampton
SEPPINGS - Norfolk
SIMMONS/SIMONS - Northampton
JOHNSON - Great Houghton, Northants

Offline Rossi

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Monday 18 December 06 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cheryl,
This is my first posting.
I have a cork cutter in my family. A   John Kail living at 4, Pedley Street, Bethnal Green.Died 9 June 1897 aged 49yrs. Occupation a cork cutter.
He married Ellen Marshall 19 March 1882.On the marriage certificate it states he was a cork packer.
Good luck with your research.