Author Topic: Surname-Allan-Maribyong,Essendon- Victoria-Australia  (Read 11027 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surname-Allan-Maribyong,Essendon- Victoria-Australia
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Signiture,descripription and residences of informant:
Certified by- Mr Barry F Oakley
23 Avalon Street
Mooroolbark Victoria 3138

Is there a description of the informant's relationship to the deceased eg relative, friend etc.  Is there anything you have omitted from the transcription.

Australian Electoral Roll
OAKLEY Barry Frederick 9 Lamula Street,  Essendon  West  Maintenance Mechanic
There are other OAKLEY's at the same address.

The former neighbour was enrolled to vote from 1972 to 1980 in the Boronia, Warrandyte area and at the address detailed on the certificate in 1982.

As I mentioned previously the word spouse does not appear on the Victorian death certificates.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Signiture,descripription and residences of informant:
Certified by- Mr Barry F Oakley
23 Avalon Street
Mooroolbark Victoria 3138

Is there a description of the informant's relationship to the deceased eg relative, friend etc.  Is there anything you have omitted from the transcription.

Australian Electoral Roll
OAKLEY Barry Frederick 9 Lamula Street,  Essendon  West  Maintenance Mechanic
There are other OAKLEY's at the same address.

The former neighbour was enrolled to vote from 1972 to 1980 in the Boronia, Warrandyte area and at the address detailed on the certificate in 1982.

As I mentioned previously the word spouse does not appear on the Victorian death certificates.

Cando

The others of the surname OAKLEY at the address in 1968 Electoral Roll  were a couple married in 1932 in  Victoria.

Both are now deceased, he in 1979 and she in 1980.  Cremated remains for both were collected from Fawkner.

It would seem to me they were the parents of the informant Barry.
(I am choosing not to identify them here for reasons of the informant's privacy)

The couple lived at 9 Laluma St Essendon from 1963 until at least the 1977 Electoral Roll.

The house at 11 Laluma Street  and the one at 9 Laluma Street can be seen on Street view.

Sue

ADDING -
It is quite possible neither the name Milroy ALLAN nor the name R ** A** ALLAN were the true name of the individual whom Laura left with. The name was  possibly assumed for reasons not known to us and then adopted by Laura for the sake of convention.

As has been said a number of times, there was not a marriage.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Family oral history is not always 100% correct so I'm wondering if the person (name beginning with M) in the Electoral Roll with Laura from 1963 to 1980 was actually known as Roy rather than his full first name and he is the "R" Laura left home for.

Andy

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 21:57 GMT (UK) »
The Oakley couple can be seen in 1931 living in Richmond, she listed under her maiden name RAY, but  sharing the same address.

In 1932, the address is the same, but her surname is now OAKLEY.

Address 385 Bridge Road Richmond.

John James DUNN (Lab) in 1931 was not far away -

Address Waverley Street Richmond with one Johanna DUNN (HD)

DUNN, John James and Laura were about a kilometre away in Charlotte street Richmond on the 1936 roll .

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Overton72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 18 December 14 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Thanks Sue.

I must say that  I'm a bit disappointed that we weren't able to establish a relationship between Laura
And  a Allan and the story amongst family was that she was with this R A Allan and that she had left Dunn for him.   So I'm a bit disappointed not having documents or something to support what Dunn had said and the family has believed  I had even got help in the past from those on another genealogy help site that had said that too. And if she had of been in a relationship with this Allan she couldn't of got married and looking at electorol rolls I didn't see her listed at her last known address...maybe that was another Laura Mavis Allan at Essendon Mmm weird..I definately don't know what to make of it all.

Just to note-Lauras dad was born Frederick Charles but he went by and died under Charles.And her mum Sarah Ellen Patterson nee Aitkin died under the Riseley name ( re 2nd marriage) as Ellen Riseley.

I'm also surprised that Laura chose to abandon all her kids and leave them with Dunn who was supposed to be an alcoholic and abusive when it would've made more sense to of given them to her mother who was still alive and who'd raised Lauras neice (my hubbys mum) or put them into care?  Or the fact that family said she had a lot to do with the Salvation Army,as did too,her mother.

Which brings me to add that their was always a strong Salvo connection.

I do have a few other family mysteries by they don't relate to Laura herself though.

Thankyou

Overton72
England ,wardrobe,buzza /Buzzo >Penzance ,St Hilary,Cornwall.
Richards,Roberts,Parrish,Paris,Norton,knight,. Whear,Sparnon,squires, Fenwick ,

Scotland-hardy,McRae,Morris,walker,burnside.>Glasgow to Australia.

Ireland-Jobson,plunkett,

Germany>Ballarat vic >? To Patterson>miner.

Offline Overton72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 18 December 14 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Can do no I haven't left anything out from the transcription mr Oakley was down as a friend to Laura.

Ireland-Jobson,plunkett,

Offline Overton72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 18 December 14 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Lauras mum Sarah had lived Warandyte rd research

Ireland-Jobson,plunkett,

Offline Overton72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 18 December 14 03:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry I don't really understand I know I must come across as daft or sthing but what are you're saying re these Oakley people so are you saying Laura lived with them at one stage and I don't understand the name changes I know I'm s dumb dumb right lol ..so do you think Laura was with anybody in s relationship?? I'm confused.  Yes I don't believe she married but wondered if she msy of had a defacto or bf?

Ireland-Jobson,plunkett,

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 18 December 14 04:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

With regards to the "Oakley people" when you transcribed the death certificate you left out the connection between the informant and Laura, Cando asked you about the connection and you answered "Friend" in the meantime Cando and Sparrett looked for this Barry F Oakley. The fact that Barry was able to provide the amount of information he did suggests that he and/or his wife were fairly close to Laura and the 1968 Electoral Roll shows that the Oakleys  lived in 9 Laluma St, Essendon and the 1972 Electoral Roll shows Laura (and M....) in 11 Laluma St, Essendon. The Oakleys and Laura could have been next door neighbours for a period.

Whether Laura was in a defacto relationship or not is difficult to say without evidence, yes, she could have been in a relationship with M...., or she could have just been sharing a house, as to the years between when she left home and the first sighting we can find in 1963, it is impossible to say what she was doing.

Andy