Author Topic: Amusing use of English language (Lode Cambs Baptist congregation)  (Read 6958 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Amusing use of English language (Lode Cambs Baptist congregation)
« on: Sunday 14 December 14 17:43 GMT (UK) »
These are my mother's relatives. Surname Ayres or Cornwell. One at least Stubben Ayres was "dismembered" (sic) by the congregation; as were many other for a variety of misdemeanours including "associating with people who are too wordly", the girl concerned was again dismembered Stubben at least survived the ordeal as he appeared in later census records.
More seriously:
Was this now archaic use of such terms common in the 19th century or simply a quirk of this congregation?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Amusing use of English language (Lode Cambs Baptist congregation)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 December 14 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Where else to go to answer this than the OED? It lists this as the fourth meaning of dismember: to cut off from membership.
First citation from 1649: The House of Commons.. having no more Authority to dis-member their fellow-members, then any Judges..have to dis-judge..their fellow Judges.
Most recent citation, 1884: Becoming a defaulter..would have involved his being dismembered from the Exchange.

Isn't language entertaining!

Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 December 14 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 December 14 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for these. I find it both interesting and amusing the way that the use and language and spellings continue to evolve. Another difference in common usage is the term "son (daughter) in law", which now means the spouse of a child almost specifically, but in 19th century documents had meanings could well mean a child in a guardianship of the writer.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 December 14 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for these. I find it both interesting and amusing the way that the use and language and spellings continue to evolve.
It is constantly fascinating. One of my favourite changes is "hussy", which originally just meant housewife, and was a perfectly respectable thing to be called.

Offline kateblogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Youth is wasted on the young
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 December 14 16:16 GMT (UK) »
It is constantly fascinating. One of my favourite changes is "hussy", which originally just meant housewife, and was a perfectly respectable thing to be called.

I have an ancestor whose maiden name was Hussey. She seems to have left her husband to live with a local cooper who was godfather to the children born during her marriage.

I did wonder if maybe she was the one who gave hussies a bad name. (Probably shouldn't think that about my x time great grandmother  :-[)
GILBY - Essex, Warwickshire and Cambridgeshire
OWENS - Yorkshire (West Riding) and Ireland
PUGH - Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, and Nottinghamshire
RYLANDS - Liverpool and Ireland

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 December 14 18:46 GMT (UK) »
There's nothing wrong with local Coopers!

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 13:27 GMT (UK) »
The Husseys were in the 15th century an aristocratic English family. They had a castle near to Boston Grammar school now known as Hussey Tower, which is preserved but ruined. The Coopers were originally barrel makers I believe. Two that I like are "gleg" which means look or peep, and "mardy" a term which only seems to be used in the vicinity of Boston, and seems to mean someone who is unpleasant to their peers as in "mardy cow" etc. etc. Usually used as a term of abuse along with another similar term.

Offline kateblogs

• RootsChat Member
  • Youth is wasted on the young
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Bedfordshireboy and Redroger -  ;D he wasn't a Cooper, he was a cooper. Off the top of my head, his surname was Appleby.

Mardy is used in this part of Yorkshire, but we are quite close to the Lincolnshire border.

ETA; Thank you for the info about the Hussey family!

GILBY - Essex, Warwickshire and Cambridgeshire
OWENS - Yorkshire (West Riding) and Ireland
PUGH - Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire, and Nottinghamshire
RYLANDS - Liverpool and Ireland