Author Topic: search for birth Dorthy Caldecott  (Read 12750 times)

Offline Siralli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: search for birth Dorthy Caldecott
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 16:17 GMT (UK) »
On 1911 census, John William and Florence Amelia have two children. Can anyone find the birth registration of the two month old daughter under the name recorded on the census?
But there is a Dora reg Q4 1910 in Ashton district. And I can't find Dora on 1911 census.

So is the two month old daughter really Dora / Dorothy?

They have two children on the Census returns - Martha Ann 1909 and William Albert 1910, both b in Ashton - I cannot see any record for a Dora?
Do you have the same couple - JWC & FAC (nee Harper)?

Siralli

Offline Siralli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 16:26 GMT (UK) »
I think the census record seems to say 2 months but is in fact referring to Martha Ann who is two years old and was born in 1908. Martha Ann married James Oliver in 1931.  I have been looking at spelling variations of Caldecott in the hope that might move us forward. My most likely find in that area is: Coldicott  Dorothy E  mother: Horne  Shipston  6d 1305 Dec 1925.

Chris
Chris - perhaps your best investment could be a birth cert for the date you have "1920" for Dorothy?
We are all currently going round in circles, but I am sure that some bright spark will hit on a solution on this sometime soon.
If it's any consolation - my last "brick wall" was for 14 years (posted on another thread on here). Admittedly it was a very unusual set of circumstances - but someone on here set me off on the right path to eventual discovery of my correct gp's.
We plod on as they say, until the penny drops - or we get very lucky by applying hard work to the problems we face. ;D

Best wishes

Alan

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Dora turned out to be a red herring - different family.

Martha's age on census has had some alteration. Found her now on FreeBMD now that I've searched a couple of years earlier.

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline mountcastle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 16:49 GMT (UK) »
After all this discussion you may like to see a picture of my Uncle Arthur and Florrie. I do not have any pictures of Dorothy though.https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108895509446496872334/albums/6112027877174726657/6112027883479324674

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, so if the 1920 date is right, did she lie about her age when she got married? ("21" in 1948?)

I think we are now working on the assumption that Dorothy was either not born "Dorothy Caldicott" or not born in England/Wales.  Perhaps look at the siblings of Florence Amelia Harper and John William Caldicott?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mountcastle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 04 February 15 19:37 GMT (UK) »
A new piece of information. John William Caldecott died in 1955. His effects passed to his widow, Florence Amelia. In 1957 she remarried Clifford Stanley in Ashton u Lyne and she died in 1966.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 05 February 15 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, so if the 1920 date is right, did she lie about her age when she got married? ("21" in 1948?)

I wonder why she would lie about her age (if she did). If she was actually born in 1920, it would make her 3 years older than her husband - would anyone worry about that sort of age difference? It's more likely that a person under 21 would lie and say they were 21if there was a difficulty getting parental consent.
The other possibility is that the original record said "over 21" or "full age" and with copying of records this got translated into simply "21".

Not all certified copies of records are identical. We had to send for a copy of my parents in law marriage cert when we were applying for probate for my mother in law. Later we found the copy that they were given on marriage. One had her age on it, the other had a blank. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott