Author Topic: Change in RootsChat "Home" page - Work in Progress  (Read 30079 times)

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Change in RootsChat "Home" page - Work in Progress
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 23 April 15 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Trystan, Obviously some further changes have been made in the last couple of days, as the homepage I saw in IE9 and commented about on Tuesday (like the screenshot in post #29) has now changed to how I saw it in Chrome (like post #31). So at least it looks more consistant and professional.
Like Ruskie and co, I tend to visit the homepage first to look at more recent postings, in case there is something of interest on a board I never/rarely go on, before moving on to My Replies and then checking out my usual boards. Therefore I am not so keen on the new layout, which bumps that recent list down below stuff I don't really look at. But that is just personal preference.
One thought, on other forums I visit (not FT stuff), they have a page dedicated to recent posts, without it being cluttered with other things. As Google are forcing us to have this new layout, would it be possible to have that here?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 23 April 15 10:33 BST (UK) »
Glad to know I'm in good company.  ;D i just love watching all the new topics appearing, which is why 'Home' is my favourite page.

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 23 April 15 10:52 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, Joyful, Majm & Scotmum - me too!

Added - I used to find the 'new' label on the Home Page topics very useful, now I find when I come back to them it's impossible to tell whether something's been added.

Please don't tell me to look at 'Unread topics', I find it irritating.   ;D
I use the homepage too Ruskie and find the current one anything but user

friendly :) No doubt it will improve...says she hopefully :D

Joy

I agree with Joy.  and like Joy, ever hopeful and the HOME page is my favourite .... it is where I start, cuppa at my right hand, scroll through the Home page, and then look at 'my replies', and then look at my own work to do list and then decide if RChat is the better option.  (self employed )..... and RChat regularly wins, but umm.... this home page is too crowded at the minute, and topic headings are taking two lines almost all the time at the moment..... so umm,  I am used to the previous way, and most likely I just need to de frag the grey cells and put order back, but at the moment it looks to be disordered.....

I use the homepage too Ruskie and find the current one anything but user

friendly :) No doubt it will improve...says she hopefully :D

Joy

Prefer the previous layout - this seems a little jumbled at the moment -  :-\  Perhaps a little colour to highlight the board  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 23 April 15 11:25 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, Joyful, Majm & Scotmum - me too!

Added - I used to find the 'new' label on the Home Page topics very useful, now I find when I come back to them it's impossible to tell whether something's been added.

Please don't tell me to look at 'Unread topics', I find it irritating.   ;D

Me too and I agree with all that's said.    If I specifically want to visit a Board that isn't showing on the Home page, such as "England, Yorkshire" for example.  I don't visit the Forum, I use the Home page "place column" and click on one that shows "England --- " and go from there.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 23 April 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
I know othing about such matters but get the impression that the home page has automatically and unintentionally been reformatted and the page 'messed up' due to issues forced upon Trystan and co. I imagine it will all be put right in time.  :)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 23 April 15 11:59 BST (UK) »
I'm certainly not their greatest fan by a long way, but I don't think it's a case of Google "forcing" anything, just prioritising "mobile-friendly" websites.

Other search engines are available  ;)

If you want your website to be used on mobile devices it is essential to make it fit a small screen. Personally I find it near impossible to use a mobile for any serious browsing, there are just too few words on the screen without constant scrolling.

I think many sites are undergoing similar changes regardless of Google.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 23 April 15 12:17 BST (UK) »
I'm certainly not their greatest fan by a long way, but I don't think it's a case of Google "forcing" anything, just prioritising "mobile-friendly" websites.

Other search engines are available  ;)

If you want your website to be used on mobile devices it is essential to make it fit a small screen. Personally I find it near impossible to use a mobile for any serious browsing, there are just too few words on the screen without constant scrolling.

I think many sites are undergoing similar changes regardless of Google.

Mike.

I realised just how important mobile devices where when lightning blew up my new Windows 7 computer and the insurance replaced it with the then new Windows 8.   I got a shock when I turned it on and instead of seeing the normal Windows page I was faced with umpteen square "things" covering my screen and all mostly had moving pictures in them.

That's when I learned that Windows 8 layout had been designed for the digital mobile market and Apps had had to be incorporated.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 23 April 15 13:00 BST (UK) »
The thing is, today's technology has to keep up with the times!  If it wasn't for change, we would all still be stuck in the time warp where we were sitting in little rooms with microfiche and readers, and writing out screeds of info! IF We were lucky enough to find any!!!

We are really very fortunate to have the advantage of new technology that is continuously evolving and have access to anything in the world in an instant!

We are also extremely fortunate and privileged to have Rootschat, at no cost remember, any time of the day or night, any day of the week, and the additional benefit of the collaboration that assists us all.

I for one give 3 cheers to Trystan and his team for the wonderful resource given to us, and right at our fingertips, and for his huge efforts in keeping the site humming and up to date in the 21st century!

And I don't have a "but" or a "why" or an "I would rather" or an "I would prefer", just a huge admiration for the work that these people do and the pleasure it gives to us all!

Thank You, I rest my case!

Cheers (3 this time)
Jeanne 👍👍😄😄

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 23 April 15 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hear hear Jeanne!  Three cheers for the best website (and administrators) on the net !!!   ;D

Heather
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras