Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 12a - Part Two of "Cazza's House"  (Read 49173 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 12a - Part Two of "Cazza's House"
« Reply #126 on: Friday 07 August 15 06:01 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

Has anyone searched this site?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/i_dig_doug/20316188705/in/pool-houseswithtowers/

Yes, mostly American monstrosities.

Do the front windows look like they open?

I think the centre 2 do, painted white.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Friday 07 August 15 07:36 BST (UK) »
Caz, I think I can see computer monitors inside the tower.  :o

(no not really ...  ;) but there are some square things)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Friday 07 August 15 07:57 BST (UK) »
The large chimney of the building to the rear really interests me and it appears to have a good crop of weeds or grass growing out of it, unless it is very early spring and there are no leaves on the trees.

Judging by its size it should have had more than one chimney pot - maybe giving a clue that this building/ part of building was in a poor state of repair?? :-\

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Friday 07 August 15 08:46 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

If that is an open door on the right of it then it is single story and at a higher position than the house. Either that or you step out into space. This is the early days of cars becoming common among the wealthy so I think they have had a substantial garage built in place of the old stable block. The little pointy bit on the roof is most likely an air vent or maybe a small clock tower.

The chimney lower down is on the outside end of the small building behind the greenhouse. So possibly heating as Jan said for the greenhouse but also for the shed.

The different colours of the windows is an old decorating practice to differentiate between fixed sashes and opening sashes. Quite common still in some areas of sussex and other areas.

Of to do some more research.

John915
    I do not think they would have stopped using horses  simultaneously with getting their first car.             It is perfect  Horse riding country.   People still keep horses in that area  for recreational use.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Friday 07 August 15 08:47 BST (UK) »
The large chimney of the building to the rear really interests me and it appears to have a good crop of weeds or grass growing out of it, unless it is very early spring and there are no leaves on the trees.

Judging by its size it should have had more than one chimney pot - maybe giving a clue that this building/ part of building was in a poor state of repair?? :-\

I am sure you are correct.
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Friday 07 August 15 09:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I didnt mean earlier in the thread for us to get bogged down in "fronts" and "backs" of houses! The point I was trying to make (and failed to make clearly!) was simply that this view will be very different from a "street view".

(I think I was taking a very simple approach and using " front" to mean "side nearest street".!)

Either the street is behind the house (as we see it in the photo), either a way off, or alternatively narrow and between our house and the other buildings OR it is off somewhere, maybe to the left, and our house has a long drive.

Any of these secenarios would make recognising it from google street view (even if we were sure of what town or village to search) rather difficult.  Which is annoying.

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Friday 07 August 15 09:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I didnt mean earlier in the thread for us to get bogged down in "fronts" and "backs" of houses! The point I was trying to make (and failed to make clearly!) was simply that this view will be very different from a "street view".

(I think I was taking a very simple approach and using " front" to mean "side nearest street".!)

Either the street is behind the house (as we see it in the photo), either a way off, or alternatively narrow and between our house and the other buildings OR it is off somewhere, maybe to the left, and our house has a long drive.

Any of these secenarios would make recognising it from google street view (even if we were sure of what town or village to search) rather difficult.  Which is annoying.
I do not think that this property was on a conventional street.             I think it is in a remote rural area.    The photo was probably taken before they had mains electricity.
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Friday 07 August 15 10:22 BST (UK) »
The greenhouse looks quite an ordinary one to me.  The glazing bars are very simple, not substantial enough to be an orangery or palm house.  And palms grow very big - just look at the height the glasshouses are at Kew, RBG Edinburgh and RHS Wisley!

I had wondered in an idle moment (total fantasy probably, but it might just strike a chord with someone!) if it had become or always was a research facility, horticultural.  There seems to be netting - or certainly in front of it, perhaps protecting a fruit garden from the birds?  Although I'm not sure there is enough room for that.

The chimney near the greenhouse is - I think - not part of the greenhouse building, but part of the building beyond it, the one with the windows in the roof.

I don't think the materials we can see would be used to build a house/building in Scotland or the Lakes area.

The pole in the flat area is too tall for a bird of prey post.

Nell
     It could be an "oven"    for manufacturing Charcoal.  ( that refers to the building with the Chimney outside it)
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Friday 07 August 15 10:26 BST (UK) »

I do not think that this property was on a conventional street.             I think it is in a remote rural area.    The photo was probably taken before they had mains electricity.

Even a remote rural area will have some sort of access to some sort of lane. But might not be on Google Street view as yet, or, as in the point I was making, may make Street view unable to bring up a comparable view of the house, if it is still there today (wherever "there" is!)

As to electricitiy, that wont effect Street View.

But I thought it was taken about 1930-1950, broadly speaking, when that two tone painting of window frames was fashionable. In which case probably had electricity?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk