Author Topic: Hobbyist/Serial Posters  (Read 11474 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Hobbyist/Serial Posters
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 19 September 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
No prob TY   ;D - glad we haven't got off on the wrong foot - I did read and re-read and thought that's a strange comment.  Just shows how the written word can sometimes be interpreted.

Its nice to see everyone's points of view - CaroleW has posted a few examples  - so I'll bring those forward so that people are clear of the type of things talked about.

Here are just 4 examples of "hobby posters"

A prolific poster who had an interest in participants of a well known sport and was a subscriber to it's website where he was thanked and applauded for the info he posted.  No mention that the info came from RC. 

A member who used a photo restore in one of his books and was a very prolific poster on the restore board

Same member bought a photo album on eBay and posted that it had been found in his late mothers belongings and he was researching the contents.    Also used RC to research another photo album by saying he had been approached by a member of his local FHS for help.  Some detective work by several other members exposed him.

A member who is researching anybody who has ever lived in a particular place - for what reason is unclear but his posting counter is substantial

These are the type of posters Sandra is talking about.  Not the people like Annie65115 or the people who research for war memorials and similar.  We are all happy to help that kind of research as there is a real purpose and point to it.

Many of us know who these hobby posters are and we all have our personal "blacklists" so ignore their posts.  However - that doesn't mean we agree that they should be allowed to mislead other members into thinking they are helping with genuine FH research

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 19 September 15 16:14 BST (UK) »
Sure ly. We could. Come up w ith a "code". Word if you encounter a suspect query/ poster?
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 19 September 15 16:25 BST (UK) »
Sure ly. We could. Come up w ith a "code". Word if you encounter a suspect query/ poster?

To a certain extent that does happen, ScouseBoy. I know that I've often had PMs to warn me if I've added information to such a thread without realising what the poster was up to.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 19 September 15 18:05 BST (UK) »
"researching anybody who has ever lived in a particular place"

For the life of me, I can't see what's wrong with that.  Why can't someone focus on a place rather than a family?  People have different interests, for goodness sake.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 19 September 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
Some of those examples of hobby posters are worrying. I wonder how much was made on the book. If it was for example helping a family history society to make money it's not so bad but should be acknowledged in any case but if it was for an individual's profit that's bad. Yes I agree we tend to keep our own blacklist. I've noticed sometimes people give a warning re helping certain people when you give someone info who is miss using the site.   I can understand an interest in a particularly person but no whole book full.nGiving info on a forum getting the kudos for someone else's work is bad. In respect to restoring photos that's a lot of hard work for the people who do it and it should be acknowledged.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 19 September 15 21:01 BST (UK) »
"researching anybody who has ever lived in a particular place"

For the life of me, I can't see what's wrong with that.  Why can't someone focus on a place rather than a family?  People have different interests, for goodness sake.

We are not saying there is anything wrong with there hobby - so are you saying that they should get all their census and other information free of charge by using volunteers time and subscriptions/spare credits to the various genealogy websites. ? Also getting a volume of photos restored or coloured FOC ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 19 September 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
I still don't understand what a "hobby poster" is.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 19 September 15 22:08 BST (UK) »
I have never seen any evidence that RC is plagued by people with a geographical hobby who exploit the good will of others.  Certainly, there are no more geographical exploiters than genealogical exploiters.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 19 September 15 22:19 BST (UK) »
I still don't understand what a "hobby poster" is.

Not sure if you have read the thread or just glanced thru it - carolew summed up a few examples in reply 22.  Hope this helps  ;)

Here are just 4 examples of "hobby posters"

A prolific poster who had an interest in participants of a well known sport and was a subscriber to it's website where he was thanked and applauded for the info he posted.  No mention that the info came from RC. 

A member who used a photo restore in one of his books and was a very prolific poster on the restore board

Same member bought a photo album on eBay and posted that it had been found in his late mothers belongings and he was researching the contents.    Also used RC to research another photo album by saying he had been approached by a member of his local FHS for help.  Some detective work by several other members exposed him.

A member who is researching anybody who has ever lived in a particular place - for what reason is unclear but his posting counter is substantial

These are the type of posters Sandra is talking about.  Not the people like Annie65115 or the people who research for war memorials and similar.  We are all happy to help that kind of research as there is a real purpose and point to it.

Many of us know who these hobby posters are and we all have our personal "blacklists" so ignore their posts.  However - that doesn't mean we agree that they should be allowed to mislead other members into thinking they are helping with genuine FH research