Author Topic: Nathaniel Dent - Son of William Owen Kitchener Dent  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Kisschick64

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nathaniel Dent - Son of William Owen Kitchener Dent
« on: Saturday 24 October 15 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hi All, Looking for assistance in finding info about Nathaniel Dent Born Warwickshire in 1837. Son Of William Owen Kitchener Dent and Elleanor Beasley....(any info on them also if got it)....came to Australia on the "john"....lived South Australia.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: Nathaniel Dent - Son of William Owen Kitchener Dent
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 October 15 08:13 BST (UK) »

Hi

Not seeing Nathaniel yet, but this might be of use..

Warwickshire England
Marriages and Banns
The Parish of Foleshill in the City of Coventry

William DENT of this Parish a Bachelor and Eleanor BEASLEY of this Parish a Spinster were married in this Church by Banns this 10th day of October 1831. Both bride and groom signed and the witnesses were Joseph DAVIS and Susannah TOWNSEND

Cheers
Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kisschick64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 15 09:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Karen....Yes that is Nathaniels Parents. Cheers for the help tho.

Offline Kisschick64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 October 15 10:36 BST (UK) »
Cheers Shaun....much appreciated

Offline Bron1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 January 16 06:50 GMT (UK) »
Along with some other Dent descendants we are trying to untangle the truth from the misunderstandings with this tree. 
So far we have not found any evidence of Nathaniel. The only place he was named was on a ships list compiled by Diane Cummings. We believe it to be an error or the second name of William the son. 
A booking record which seems the more correct one is for a William and wife, 3 sons and 1 daughter who came out on the Orleana arriving 10th June 1840 
The Sara Jane mentioned seems to be incorrect too.  She was the daughter of Henry and Jane Dent and is the one buried in West Terrace Cemetery.
my email is bronwynlinz@hotmail.com if you wish to contact me

Offline Kisschick64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 January 16 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Ive always thought it was probably an error...or as you say, Williams middle name......So the 3 sons were William, Joseph Hetherington and John Mazeppa....and daughter Ann Eliza. Yep that does make more sense.

Offline Bron1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 January 16 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes it seems that way.  I am in contact with a descendant of William the son, the death certificate doesn't mention a middle name.  It would be good if we could contact Diane Cummings and see where it came from on the ships list for the John. For that matter where she got all the names for the cabin passengers.   

Offline Gypsy Scholar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 July 16 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone
I have just popped back into my email account for Out of the Mists and discovered some emails from the past year or so. Life has been pretty busy with us since 2013 and I've neglected my family history work. It's really interesting to see that so much has happened. It looks like you may have sorted the Nathaniel mystery Darryl. Nice to hear from you again. I recently went to SA and was able to do some research at the Unley Genealogy room. Sarah Jane buried at West Terrace is indeed the child of other Dent parents according to the burial records. The gypsy rumour is my mother's story and the names of some of the children would seem to support this. However I am inclined to revise my thoughts about the motivation to migrate. I think there may have been other causes but have yet to track down documentation.
All of the records that I have listed are based on SA/WA/Vic BMD records or on Shipping Lists as transcribed by Diane Cummings. I am happy to try to contact her and ascertain if there are any possible errors. However I think that a comparison of the data establishes fairly firmly that the family came out on the John. There are a lot of records missing from the early settlement which makes things really confusing. I think if we could all get in touch through my website and share information this would be really valuable in identifying who WOK Dent was and where he fits in to the greater Dent family.
Cheers
Dent:Warwickshire
Burgar, Reid, Setter, Hughes/Hughison:Papa Westray  and Westray Orkney
Gorman:Antrim
Cholmeley:Isle of Wight and Hampshire
Daeth/Death: Burton Latimer
Beasley:Warwickshire
Toll:Cornwall
Clark: Devonshire
Scott: Dumfries and Galloway
Mitchell: Tipperary
Sims/Shipman: Wiltshire