Author Topic: Help to trace a potential Dr (Durisdeer early 1800,s)  (Read 1648 times)

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help to trace a potential Dr (Durisdeer early 1800,s)
« on: Tuesday 15 December 15 19:22 GMT (UK) »
The headstone for my chap says he 'practised medicine in the parish of durisdee for 25 years', but i can't find any record of it, i'm hoping someone can help with more info please?

I don't have exact dates for his career but, he was born 1787 in Sanquhar (to james munsie and margaret simpson) he pops up in durisdee in 1811-34 having kids and I have him on the 1851 census in Canada where he died 1854. (some records have him as muncie)
At the very latest this means he arrived in Canada 1851 and assuming he couldn't qualify before 20ish i'm looking at 25 years over the period 1807-1851 but have nothing.

I appreciate his marriage cert or kids birth cert's would be a huge help - i don't have those.
It doesn't help that there's a 2nd william munsie in the same area ( the 1841 school master in durisdeer was william munsie and born only a few years later)
Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.
Many Naval ancestors and connections to Canada & American.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Help to trace a potential Dr (Durisdeer early 1800,s)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Are you seeking info on a Doctor William MUNSIE ?

http://www.rcgp.org.uk/about-us/history-heritage-and-archive/researching-a-medical-ancestor.aspx

Have you considered obtaining his marriage cert or birth certs for any of his children?  To me, these are foundation documents for validating family history research  :) .... how do you know who his parents are .... or if you have the 'right' parents for your ancestor .....  ;)

Have you sought an obituary for your chap?

Cheers   JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 19:47 GMT (UK) »
he pops up in durisdee in 1811-34 having kids and I have him on the 1851 census in Canada where he died 1854. (some records have him as muncie)

Do you have a christian name for his wife or the names of any of his children?

Is it possible he emigrated before the 1841 census?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Are you seeking info on a Doctor William MUNSIE ?

http://www.rcgp.org.uk/about-us/history-heritage-and-archive/researching-a-medical-ancestor.aspx

Have you considered obtaining his marriage cert or birth certs for any of his children?  To me, these are foundation documents for validating family history research  :) .... how do you know who his parents are .... or if you have the 'right' parents for your ancestor .....  ;)

Have you sought an obituary for your chap?

Cheers   JM
The link you've given says for "ancestors prior to 1952 you will have to seek out sources in other institutions" as i'm well before that it would explain why it has no record.
The info i have is from his headstone so regardless of his parents etc, even if i've got all my search wrong, there should be a william muncie/munsie practising medicine in durisdeer at those dates.
I can't find him.

If anyone else can i'd really appreciate the help
Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Picture of the headstone

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=31394228&PIpi=14017895

It states emigrated to Canada in the year 21

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 20:23 GMT (UK) »
The link you've given says for "ancestors prior to 1952 you will have to seek out sources in other institutions" as i'm well before that it would explain why it has no record.
The info i have is from his headstone so regardless of his parents etc, even if i've got all my search wrong, there should be a william muncie/munsie practising medicine in durisdeer at those dates.
I can't find him.

If anyone else can i'd really appreciate the help

And if you scroll through the link you will see the names of the other institutions  :)  in Scotland, back into the 1500s and 1600s  :)

Add  for example "Scotland
FRCS [Ed] = Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh was granted its “Seal of Cause” by Edinburgh Town Council on 1st July 1505. This was ratified in the following year by King James IV of Scotland. It is to this charter that the College traces its origins as the oldest medical incorporation in the world."

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 December 15 23:29 GMT (UK) »
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=ggYyAQAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

Link to ebook - free
List of the Graduates in Medicine in the University of Edinburgh from MDCCV to MDCCCLXVI

Printed in 1867.  :)

Likely there are many other lists for other Schools of Medicine at other Universities/Colleges and perhaps there were other ways to become known as a Doctor.

I found the above via Google Search.    My own Scottish heritage includes a medico, a Ship's surgeon from the early 1800s, they were significant members of the crew on voyages around the world from Britain to the Antipodes.   Meticulous handwriting in the ships' journals .... 

Cheers,  JM

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Picture of the headstone

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=31394228&PIpi=14017895

It states emigrated to Canada in the year 21

yes thanks -  i do say i have the headstone, details
if you understand what the year 21 means i'd appreciate your clarifying, it can't be 1821 unless he was practising medicine as a foetus,

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 18:37 GMT (UK) »
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=ggYyAQAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

Link to ebook - free
List of the Graduates in Medicine in the University of Edinburgh from MDCCV to MDCCCLXVI

Printed in 1867.  :)

Likely there are many other lists for other Schools of Medicine at other Universities/Colleges and perhaps there were other ways to become known as a Doctor.

I found the above via Google Search.    My own Scottish heritage includes a medico, a Ship's surgeon from the early 1800s, they were significant members of the crew on voyages around the world from Britain to the Antipodes.   Meticulous handwriting in the ships' journals .... 

Cheers,  JM

Thanks for sharing this - i can't find him under any of the possible spellings i can think of and would be very surprised if he'd travelled beyond Edinburgh so while it's not great that i haven't found him, your link/suggestion is making me wonder if he was a bone setter or something similarly unqualified and just made it sound a bit grander when he emigrated.
I've heard Mcdonalds staff call themselves chef's and that wouldn't be so dissimilar!

Thanks again for sharing this - it's a link that will be usefull over and over again and is now saved xx