Author Topic: Duplicate or connected posts  (Read 11156 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Duplicate or connected posts
« Reply #45 on: Monday 11 January 16 15:14 GMT (UK) »

System Design on back of fag-packet(1)?
Only need to run the search
* on the first post of a new topic
* on the posts already made by the OP starting the new topic
About as stressful as an "Unread Topics" request?

System Design on back of fag-packet (2)?
? However, what is wrong with putiing a comment at the top of the "New Topic" (only) template,
something to the effect . . . . .

"DO NOT DUPLICATE REQUESTS
Please let Rootschatters know, at the beginning of your new topic, if you have or are intending to pose the question elsewhere. Rootschatters get very upset if their time is wased or they duplicate work/effort/research already carried out by you /someone else"

Then the OP cannot be surpised at getting "ticked off" by those that they have upset. 

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 11 January 16 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I've often come across requests here and it later turns out the OP has placed the same request on other sites (and often received the information long before posting here) so more and more often I waste time googling to discover other posts elsewhere  >:(

and I've just posted links to another new topic with OP asking for information on same person, etc,  ::)
... and also posted a link to this topic   ;)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 11 January 16 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Please excuse me if I'm speaking out of turn. I'm not a frequent Rootschatter (due to work, etc.) but I do try to contribute when I can.

Sometimes people do try to take advantage, it's true. Other times, though, I think it's possible that people just don't know the ideal way to write a query and might not realize how much effort is expended by helpful Rootschatters.

The bottom line, as I see it, is that Rootschatters want to be as helpful as possible while using their time efficiently.

To that end, would it be possible for Rootschat to post an automated first response to all posts, posing some basic (but polite, of course) questions designed to enable Rootschatters to best help the original poster (OP)? Then the onus would be placed on the OP to respond with additional information or clarifications (if needed) before anyone started doing research.

Best regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 11 January 16 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josephine

I don't think it's so much the way questions are posed that frustrate people, we have to make allowances for people who are new to genealogy or to using forums, or in some cases don't have English as a first language. What people are complaining about is those who post the same question on several different threads, or the same question several months after asking the original one.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 11 January 16 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Josephine

I don't think it's so much the way questions are posed that frustrate people, we have to make allowances for people who are new to genealogy or to using forums, or in some cases don't have English as a first language. What people are complaining about is those who post the same question on several different threads, or the same question several months after asking the original one.

Hi, Groom:

To clarify, I do think that people don't always know that it is important to include in their requests links to other places where other people have already posted questions and answers.

They don't always know how important it is to be specific about where they (or others) have already searched, what has been searched (the search terms, names, geographic areas, record sources), as well as exactly what information they have, what they don't have and what they are looking for.

It's all of a package but people who haven't done extensive searches themselves probably don't realize that, unless they provide the above info (as long as it pertains to exactly the thing they are searching for), they could be wasting other people's valuable time (and effort and goodwill).

Best regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 11 January 16 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to take a different tack here but the reason I respond to queries is not only to assist the OP but because I quite genuinely enjoy the thrill of the chase.

I would probably remember if I had searched the same topic previously and wouldn't do so again but if someone else has already done it I am not concerned that I may do the same thing and find the same info - just as long as there is a query to respond to.

Even if I do only find the same info as someone else has already supplied I don't feel that it is a waste of my time, goodwill or effort.  Maybe I am in a minority.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 11 January 16 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to take a different tack here but the reason I respond to queries is not only to assist the OP but because I quite genuinely enjoy the thrill of the chase.

I have to disagree  :)

I too enjoy the 'thrill of the chase', but it's very deflating when I find out, after spending quite a lot of time on a topic, that someone else got there before me on an earlier thread which I didn't know about.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 11 January 16 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes but isn't it good to have your research methods and consequent finds confirmed?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 11 January 16 18:23 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Jen, it is frustrating if I've spent time looking and cross checking records, to post and then someone points out that it is a duplicate post and that information has already been given. Even more so if it was suggested that certificates were purchased and that has been ignored.

Yes but isn't it good to have your research methods and consequent finds confirmed?

Maybe, but quite a few people on here are very experienced researchers and could be using their expertise to help others, rather than repeating what has already been found.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk