Author Topic: WW2 Army Abbreviations  (Read 3453 times)

Offline bman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 Army Abbreviations
« on: Tuesday 12 January 16 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Can anyone help with army abbreviations on my Dad's WW2 records.
I have managed to work out most of them on his army record sheet, but having trouble with a note on his Soldiers Service and Pay Book.
He was granted Python leave , due to his service overseas, on 17th August 1945 from Bari, Italy. According to record sheet he spent 118 days at "home". However his Service Pay book states:
21/8/45   30 days DIS & VJ  to 19/9/45
10-19/10/45   Private
19/11-2/12/45    14 days EMB.
I wonder if anyone can explain the first entry I would be most grateful
Thanks.
bman

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Army Abbreviations
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 19:31 GMT (UK) »
30 days leave and discharge - VJ = victory over Japan.

James

Offline bman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 January 16 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks James. That was my initial thought as well, but why would he be given leave for VJ day?
Also why 30 days discharge and then private leave?
His army records for 18/8/45 state; Emp Baro on & for CMF  X (4)a   L... (python)
CTBE to Med office   (I think!)
Disembarked Ex of seas Python and taken on strength this depot.   (  Which was RAC depot)
Does this help.
Thanks again
bman

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks James. That was my initial thought as well, but why would he be given leave for VJ day?
Also why 30 days discharge and then private leave?
His army records for 18/8/45 state; Emp Baro on & for CMF  X (4)a   L... (python)
CTBE to Med office   (I think!)
Disembarked Ex of seas Python and taken on strength this depot.   (  Which was RAC depot)
Does this help.
Thanks again
bman

CMF = Central Mediterranean Force
X(iv)a = comprises  all unposted reinforcements and incoming reinforcement drafts. Personnel fit for duty, are transferred to the X (iv) list of their corps, until posted to a unit, when they are struck off X (iv) and taken on unit strength. Reinforcements in transit between the Base and a unit remain on X (iv) (and the Base Depot strength) until they actually reach and are taken on the strength by the unit to which they are proceeding.

CTBE can stand for "Ceased To Be Entitled" or "Cargo Transfer Bag Equivalent", but they both seem a bit odd here!

The Discharge and Private leave thing could maybe be something similar to what happened with my father. He was sent on extended leave in October 1946 after serving in Java from December 1945 - around September 1946 iirc, but he wasn't demobbed until December 1946. I can't remember the exact details and it would take too long to hunt them out of the records I hold, but that might be an explanation as to the discharge and the private leave bit in your own relative's situation. I could be way off target though.

RRTB

Offline bman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 15:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thanks very much for the further information.
My father was in 88th Heavy Anti Aircraft Regiment (part of 8th Army) in The Desert/Sicily/Italy.
Whilst he was on leave, as above, his records show that on 3/10/45  he was Sos our posting Yorks Hussars. Following this he was Tos from Yorks Hussars on 12/12/45-Draft RLGBG (what does that stand for?) embarked UK for NWE and disembarked the following day. On 14/12/45 he joined 53RHU.
My father very sadly died earlier this year and I did not get to ask him all the questions I needed. I am trying to write up his story, but getting a bit stuck at the end.
He did say that he was in the Inns of Court when he was demobbed.
Can anyone shed any light on this, all help will be greatly appreciated.
bman

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Please accept my condolences for your loss.

I looked up the Yorks Hussars and found this:
"During August 1944, the Regiment Reformed as a whole and was placed as a Reconnaissance Holding Unit, responsible for refresher courses and drafting of returned wounded personnel who were trained in Reconnaissance."

RHU also stands for Reinforcement Holding Unit, and I found this link in the National Archives: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/record?catid=2434036&catln=6

"RLGBG" - I can't find this so far, but a
guess would be Relief Landing Ground (which *does* exist as RLG) Battle Group, especially if your father was in a Reinforcement Holding Unit.

Offline bman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 January 16 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Very many thanks for your information. I am managing to piece together his last moments in the army bit by bit and you have been most helpful.
My dad was finally in the Inns of Court Regiment, which was always a puzzle to him as he was not a lawyer, but he was quite proud of it. I have a vague recollection that they were in Germany  in his final days in the army, but not 100% sure. None of this is on his records.
I do know that he was demobbed from Yorks barracks with his suit, a trilby and a train ticket.
Can anyone shed any light on the Inns of Court, I would be most grateful.
bman

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 January 16 12:27 GMT (UK) »
There is some background information on Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inns_of_Court_Regiment

Nanny Jan

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 January 16 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Very many thanks for your information. I am managing to piece together his last moments in the army bit by bit and you have been most helpful.
My dad was finally in the Inns of Court Regiment, which was always a puzzle to him as he was not a lawyer, but he was quite proud of it. I have a vague recollection that they were in Germany  in his final days in the army, but not 100% sure. None of this is on his records.
I do know that he was demobbed from Yorks barracks with his suit, a trilby and a train ticket.
Can anyone shed any light on the Inns of Court, I would be most grateful.
bman

Regimental War Diaries at the National Archives

WO 166/1400 ROYAL ARMOURED CORPS: Inns of Court Regiment 1940 Dec.- 1941 Dec.
WO 166/6905 ROYAL ARMOURED CORPS: Inns of Court Regiment 1942 Jan.- Dec.
WO 166/11082 Inns of Court Regiment 1943 Jan.-Dec.
WO 171/854 Inns of Court Regiment 1944 Jan., Feb., May- Dec.
WO 171/470 1Inns of Court Regiment 1945 Jan.- Dec.
WO 171/8990 Inns of Court 1946 Jan.- June