Author Topic: Family of John Spurgeon/Spurgin 1739-1762  (Read 2353 times)

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Family of John Spurgeon/Spurgin 1739-1762
« on: Saturday 16 January 16 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm currently looking at my Spurgin/Spurgeon line and stumbled across a will for a John Spurgin who passed in 1782 Tillingham.  I believe the will to show that he is my direct ancestor via his son George.

The will also mentions 2 granddaughters of unknown origin, a grandson, 3 sons and 2 daughters amongst an unknown connection Rachel Spurgin.  I believe children Judith, Jane and George were born to John and Ann in Marks Tey between 1753-1759.  I can find no marriage for between John and Ann and she is not mentioned in will.

Son Richard I believe was born to John and Mary nee Hurril in Wickham Bishops 1751.  John married Mary in Westminster, Middlesex 1744 though he was living in Hatfield--listed as widower.  I see no other children for them and no death I can directly link to Mary.  She is also not mentioned in will.

For his son John mentioned, the only John I could see that fits is one born in Prittlewell 1739 to John and Elizabeth. The only marriage I see for a John Spurgin/Spurgeon and Elizabeth took place in Norfolk but I'm unsure if these are my Johns.  Again no death could be found to fit.

I thought tracing down the said granddaughters Ann Kemp (South Okendon) and Ann Roberts (Billericay) as well as this random Rachel Spurgin (Steeple) might solidify some answers.  Both daughters-Judith and Jane-were living in Steeple as well so I was wondering if Rachel was another child of John--though odd he wouldn't lable her thus.

I was able to find a Rachel Spurgeon in 2 indexes born about May 1762 in Marks Tey, which could possibly be the same Rachel Spurgin mentioned in the will.  There are, however no parents listed in the index.  I was wondering if anyone could find a copy of the actual document and see if it listed her parents.  Any help in this venture is most appreciated.

Thanks,
Nich
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Family of John Spurgeon/Spurgin 1739-1762
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 January 16 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Marks Tey
Rachel Spurgin, dau of John and Ann, born November 1st, 1761 and bap ?? May, 1762.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 January 16 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, definitely another possible child which may be where one of the granddaughters comes from and I'll mark her down, but the index I was looking at definitely says Rachel Spurgin.

Appreciate you finding her.
Klein, Comiss, Theobald, Hanney, Bernath, Salomonovics, Yakimovsky, Putney, Barlow, Beard, Gibbs, LeVierge, Tree, Trinder, Carter, Malpass, Crampin, Spurgin, Warner, Parker, Medcalf, Amer, Arnold,  Connelly,

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 January 16 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, should have put Rachel, have amended it.

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 January 16 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Found these children in MT to John and Ann
Jane, January 28th, 1753
Judith, 7th September, 1755
George, 8th July, 1759
Isaac, 4th November, 1764

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 January 16 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I've found the Essex Wills Beneficiaries Index on Findmypast very useful for untangling my north Essex familes. http://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-Records/essex-wills-beneficiaries-index-1505-1916

eg John Spurgeon of Mark's Tey is a beneficiary of J Layswell in 1767 and mentioned as an occupier in the will of E Carter in 1775. And not the period you are asking about, but Charles Hurrell is a son-in-law of J Spurgeon of Great Maplestead in a 1691 will.

Regards
Rob

Offline nichbuket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 January 16 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks! I'll see if I can pull up those wills.  I haven't heard of that site before.  Thanks for the share.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 January 16 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Possible help to sort out relationships Re John Spurgin died 1782 Tillingham
This appears to be son John.
Essex Record Office Ref D/AEW 39/14/8
The will of John Spurgin of Bradwell Juxta Mare written 20 July 1785 proved 4 March 1789, no wife mentioned everything to his son William and son John.
Mentions property now in occupation of Thomas Hammond and John Manning (the husbands of his sisters and daughters of John 1782)
His brother Richard Spurgin of Tillingham and Henry LAVER of Steeple are executors.

This appears to be son Richard:
Ancestry PCC Wills
Richard Spurgin of Tillingham, will written 1790 codicil 2 November 1790. Proved 15 April 1791
Wife Elizabeth (he married Elizabeth Ketcher a widow 31 May 1774 at Tillingham by License. He was 23 she was 34)
sons John, Richard and George
Hannah Sewell wife of William, no relationship mentioned but they are to sign a release of any claims on the estate of Edward -----? late of Tillingham, so she could be a daughter of his wife's first marriage.
Executors brother George Spurgin of Southminster , Thomas Stutter/Stuttle of Tillingham, John Holder of Ash----ham ? and Henry LAVER of Steeple.
Codicil mentions sister Jane Manning wife of John of Steeple in the County of Essex.

This is grandson Richard Spurgin, will written 13 May 1813, codicil 21 June 1813. Died 29 June 1813
Ancestry PCC Wills
wife Mary, son William, mother Mrs. Elizabeth Spurgin
Codicil mentions kinsman William Spurgin of Bradwell Juxta Mare. (this is his cousin son of John Jr.)
and brother in law James Waters.
Executors brother George Spurgin and father in law John Waters.

This is grandson George (a son of Richard 1790/91)
Ancestry PCC Wills
George Spurgin of Tillingham will written August 1815, proved 27 March 1817,
no wife mentioned
daughter Jane Elizabeth
Executor: Uncle George Spurgin of Southminster (brother of his father Richard and of Bradwell in the will of John Snr. 1782)

There are wills at the ERO of Spurgin of Hatfield Peveral

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 January 16 09:54 GMT (UK) »
St Lawrence Church, Steeple
Thomas Hammond, widower, married Judith Spurgeon, spinster and a minor with consent of father
by License 16 September 1775, witnesses John Brown Henry LAVER, William Tunbridge.

John Manning married Judith Spurgeon 30 December 1773, witness John Smith, Joseph Smith